Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

School closure

(29 Posts)
Nixxi99 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:39:12

To be annoyed that my son has had no education since Monday lunchtime due to a problem with the heating in his school. Head sent letter today saying they don't know what the problem is, how long it will take to find and fix and don't know how long the school will be closed. They are going to put reading list and work on fronter. School is a secondary so pupils are 11 and older, but I don't feel happy to leave my son home alone all day while I work next week, boss has given me time off this week, unpaid leave, but I need to work next week. Any thoughts?

When our heating broken when I ws at school the school was partially open.

The intrinsically warmer rooms were supplemented with portable heaters. Home economics classrooms and science labs were heated by the gas rings and Bunsen burners. About a third of the classrooms were deamed usable so the school was open to 2 yeargroups per day on a rotating basis.

Having said that I think there would be genuine h&s concerns in today's schools around the idea of gas cookers and Bunsen burners. Is. The school a single building? Are all buildings affected? Could they partially open?

It also depends on the nature of the problem if it is a gas leak then there would be safety concerns around that.

Personally I think you also need to consider some contingency. In the event of bad weather closing our school there are parents that have volunteered to take it in turns to take a day looking after the kids reducing the burden on individual parents.

Bosgrove Fri 25-Jan-13 18:30:09

The secondary opposite my parents house had a power cut a couple of weeks ago, for over a week the electricity board provided a generator to power the school. It kept my parents awake because of the racket it was making.

The school only shut one day when the generator failed, much to the disappointment of the pupils.

alistron1 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:29:14

My sons school shut for a week a couple of years ago when there was a problem with the gas supply to the school. No heating = no hot water, how can kids wash their hands, or cleaning occur? Especially important at the peak of the flu/Noro season?

His school shut for a week or so again a few months later after a fire. Should they have just worked around the charred embers of the hall/classroom?

Schools don't have banks of portable heaters, or the facilities to make regular hot drinks for several hundred pupils.

Nixxi99 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:57:57

School will now not be open until at least Tuesday, and after that they cannot tell us.
We have got some maths, English and science work to do remotely.
The local council will not do anything until they are legally obligated to. They are only only legally obligated to educate our children, after 6 days, and only after they have not received "reasonable education". I would question what "reasonable education" was.
It's been an eye opener.
Thank you for all your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now