to think this is pretty shit. Greggs sausage rolls related...

(187 Posts)
TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 13:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GinOnTwoWheels Thu 24-Jan-13 15:32:27

OP YANBU

A similar example can be found with crisps. If you want to buy a single pack of crisps it will cost about 50-60 pence? But you can buy a multipack of six packs for a pound most of the time in supermarkets – OK the packs will be smaller, but it appears to be much better value.

Because I am so weak willed grin I find it very hard to just stop at the one pack and will probably eat all those crisps much faster than I would like to.

When it was in the news a few weeks ago about large companies taking responsibility for the health of the nation, I just laughed because it is all the ‘friends of the Tory party’ big businesses that are ramming all this junk down our throats constantly and making a huge profit in doing so. The fact is that it is crisps, fizzy pop and greggs sausage rolls that make up the bulk of these multibuy deals with just a few token offers on fruit/veg. There are far too many vested interests (supermarkets/multinationals) in having the entire nation hooked on junk food IMHO.

However, BunnyLebowski you are correct when you say that making soup is not rocket science or expensive – I taught myself as an adult by just reading books and looking at the internet. We eat very well for very little money because I cook from scratch a lot. I do this because I think good food is important and I get irrationally angry about the utter shite that food manufacturers think is acceptable to put in our food.

As well as soup being easy and cheap, porridge is also another very cheap very easy food that can be made for pence in a couple of minutes in a £20 microwave oven – even milk is not necessary, water is fine. It may not be the most exciting food in the world, but I know what I’d choose if it was that or starvation.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:33:31

"But for some people it can be pretty scary"

Then they've got a nervous problem hmm Human beings have been sticking veg in a pot of water for thousands of years.... As for the fussy types that won't eat good food. That's a whole other problem.

nellyjelly Thu 24-Jan-13 15:37:10

As the generations move on, more and more people will not know how to cook.

Greggs do a nice tuna crunch salad roll too though it os twice the price of 2 sausage rolls.

FWIW u have no idea how to make soup as its not something I eat. I just don't like it.

I learnt to cook by watching and helping my mum as I was growing up. My sons dad didn't even know how to warm up baked beans and hes 24. My son is 3 and watches and helps out.

I am skint and can spend money on food and feel like I have nothing to show for it. Luckily, I guess, I don't eat alot. I can eat a sandwich and not feel hungry til the following morning.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:38:04

OK then... if that's the way people want to bully me into thinking. hmm Poor people are always going to be malnourished and there is no hope because....

... they can't read
.... they can't cook a few carrots without starting a house-fire or poisoning people
... they have no way of finding out anything after they get past school age
... soup is 'scary'
... and Greggs are on special offer

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:39:11

For a start, up until quite recently I wouldn't cook because if I fucked it up then that was my days budget gone. I would never consider making soup because I was never taught and it seems daunting. Now I know its fairly easy, but I've practised and my first batch was inedible. As for "fussy types" ds has sensory issues. Can't stand wet food. It leads to a meltdown.

Cooking from scratch isn't something we are born with, its a skill we develop and learn. Some people just can't cook.

I don't think anyone is trying to 'bully' you. hmm

Merely suggesting that there are actual reasons why people don't cook from scratch.

I'd have said your argument is rather more 'no hope', because you seem to think there's no reason why people are malnourished, because they should all be more like you and have learned to cook, and bought all the necessary stuff.

That sort of thinking is rather Marie Antoinette, I think.

expatinscotland Thu 24-Jan-13 15:41:15

Why on Earth should people who eat so-called junk food from time to time be punished with high taxes because some people are obese?

As to Gregg's, stop the press, business strives to make more money out of people! Imagine!

So don't buy the other sausage roll and keep the 29p. No one forces people to go in there and buy stuff.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Thu 24-Jan-13 15:42:17

I am extraordinarily shite at cooking. However, even i can cook soup. You chuck shit in a pan, boil it 'til its soft, add stock cube and blend. Not rocket science.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:43:30

I think the reason a lot of people don't attempt cooking is that too many others want to tell them... like the nutty people here... that it is a) expensive, b) time-consuming and c) 'scary'.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:43:30

Yes, that's exactly what is being said hmm you poor, maligned soul, cog.

Sps, my mum was an awful cook. She burnt everything. I taught myself to cook recently, when I had built my confidence. Before then it was a running joke. SIL can't cook either. Nor can my brother. Or my sister.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:46:51

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:43:30
I think the reason a lot of people don't attempt cooking is that too many others want to tell them... like the nutty people here... that it is a) expensive, b) time-consuming and c) 'scary'.

First of all, not nutty. Coming from experience. Secondly, if you learnt to cook early on or were brought up in a house where food was healthy and from scratch, you can't possibly understand how daunting it can be. Plus, to try takes a certain amount of empathy, which not everyone has.

whois Thu 24-Jan-13 15:47:14

I hate threads like this with the cry of "healthy eating is too expensive"

Poor diet often goes hand in hand with poor education, low budgeting skills etc

^ Truth

RillaBlythe Thu 24-Jan-13 15:47:17

has anyone read the link I posted? She puts it all much better than I could.

hopkinette Thu 24-Jan-13 15:50:06

I read it Rilla and I think she makes some really good points.

Cog's on one at the moment, isn't she?

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:51:29

Whois, yep. Kids should be taught how to budget and basic cooking in schools.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 15:52:12

wannabedreams Thu 24-Jan-13 16:20:24

Multibuy bargains are only good if you want more than one. You have to just think 'I will save 30p by only buying one' and not 'it will be cheaper to buy two'.

For example I kept buying two soups on two for £3, but they are only £1.75 each. Now if I only want one I only buy one thus saving £1.25........

adeucalione Thu 24-Jan-13 16:27:35

Greggs are a business so it's their job to make you want to buy two instead of one.

I don't think it's immoral at all - consumers have a choice and I can't believe there is anyone who doesn't realise that a sausage roll is an occasional treat.

Maybe better to educate people that 70p for one is better value than 99p for two if you did actually only want one in the first place.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 16:30:07

Purely in the interests of research (honest) I went into ours just now.

70p for one, £2.45 for four...

adeucalione Thu 24-Jan-13 16:36:29

No - they want to sell a sausage roll for 70p because that gives them the profit margin they want.

They are then prepared to take a hit on the second sausage roll and make a nominal profit rather than have you leave the shop with just one (plus offers bring people in).

They will not, therefore, ever agree that if they can offer to for a quid they can just as easily offer one for 50p.

Also - if they sold them for 50p wouldn't the reduced price lead to more unhealthy eating?

adeucalione Thu 24-Jan-13 16:36:52

two

adeucalione Thu 24-Jan-13 16:38:54

Poor people are not more likely to be obese because of bogof offers.

Poor people are also statistically more likely to smoke - are cigs on bogoff now too?

Two Gregg's sausage rolls for a quid! I haven't seen that offer in YEARS. It's two for £1.30 here. envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now