to think this is pretty shit. Greggs sausage rolls related...

(187 Posts)
TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 13:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:44:14

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 14:48:36

I wouldn't give them either an apple or a sausage roll. I'd do what I normally do.... make a big pan of soup out of some spuds, carrots and other stuff and some bread and butter on the side. Costs far less than 99p...

Clawdy Thu 24-Jan-13 14:49:45

SecondComing you didn't answer the earlier question about your homemade banana??

I've said it before and Ill say it again. Cooplands do 4 for a £1 and they are so much better then the watery greggs one. In greggs near me 4 are £2.70 or something

Never mind sausage rolls. If you were the cowbag in front of me in Greggs earlier who bought the last two steak bakes a pox on your family. I very pointedly turned and left the shop when the kid bloke asked if he could help me.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:53:39

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:55:47

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:01:55

Cog, that may cost less per portion, but a bag of carrots is (for the sake of argument) 50p, a bag of potatoes is at least £1, a loaf of bread, butter, other veg... Plus the necessary skills and time PLUS a blender... Its not so cheap.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:05:45

There is no skill whatsoever in making a pan of soup and putting some marge on bread... and who said anything about blending? Yes, my bags of veg and loaf of bread probably costs £5 for a week's worth of lunches but it feeds 3 or 4 at a time rather than 2.

I'm not an 'ubermum' thanks, I just grew up poor!

Yes, there is skill. It may be quite a low level, but it's there. As is knowing what to buy to do it.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:11:16

Also grew up poor and 6m ago wouldn't know where to start with making my own soup, of course there's a certain amount of skill/knowledge involved. As I said, people aren't taught how to cook now. Even now, I wouldn't think of it because its a hassle for one meal. And there is still the cost issue.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:12:44

That £5 initial outlay can be quite daunting when you only have £2 left to make lunch.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:17:43

It's not one meal either. hmm You make a panful and it does twice. Keep the leftovers in the fridge. You don't even have to be taught how to cook. We're surrounded with healthy eating info, traffic lights on packs, free recipe leaflets and all the rest. Greggs are not pretending to be in the healthy eating business they are a fast food outlet.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 15:18:07

Of course you have to be taught how to cook. How do you think it happens - magic?

If you've grown up in a household where someone can cook, you might learn quite easily. If you've grown up without seeing other people cooking, how are you going to know?

Seriously hmm at all this chat about soup-making requiring "skill and knowledge".

If you can get on MN you can get on Google and bloody well read/follow the 2 steps it takes. It's hardly beef wellington with croquembouche for afters.

I wasn't taught to cook but can. It's called being an adult/having common sense.

I'm with Cog on this. No-one is obliged to eat from Greggs or the shite food aisle of the supermarket regardless of their offers.

PeachActiviaMinge Thu 24-Jan-13 15:24:09

I didn't grow up poor I was spoilt and had everything done for me. When I moved out I had no clue what I was doing or how the hell I was meant to feed 2 adults on this impossibly tiny budget I suddenly had. We ate buttered pasta and fishfingers or starved most of the time it didn't get better when I fell pregnant and I was still learning after DD was born one of my worst memories is of feeding her soured milk because I couldn't afford to buy her fresh formula until the next day and MIL wouldn't help us out. Things got better and I learnt to budget and cook healthly on a tiny little budget we're back in that shitty situation from 10 years ago and I'm pregnant and we're on a teeny weeny budget again but this time I'm a little more in control.

I can make sure we all at least eat and eat decently but its because I had to learn to budget and cook to stop us all developing health issues so my DD wasn't crying for lack of food. Theres no room for junk in our diets I just can't afford it I'd kill for it sometimes but its not happening we can't afford to heat the house so cuts are made elsewhere i.e the food budget for the adults as the bills won't wait.

We need to educate our children in schools and at home on budgeting and cooking. It doesn't matter how busy you are please take an hour or two when you have it and teach your children these invaluable life skills. At least if you do that they won't end up like me. I've taught my DD to budget and even now she'll look for a bargain when she has her own money but I wish it wasn't this way I wish I could afford the things she want's to eat not the things we have to eat.

Its no use blaming the government or the stores for the way I was and for the way many people are personal responsibility begins at home, Teach your children and set them up for life and they won't make these mistakes.

funnymum71 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:24:29

Whoever said its better than Pound Bakery is spot on - two meat pies and a cookie for £1 in our local one. You have to question what they define as 'meat'. That aside, our local Gregg's has just started to sell Sweet and Sour chicken slices for £1 and they are lush. I know. I've just eaten one.

In answer to the OP, however, I agree that the deals are always done on the most unhealthy food. I've never been into a Greggs and seen one of their sandwiches or salad things for knock down prices. Its always their pasties.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 15:25:48

"If you've grown up without seeing other people cooking, how are you going to know? "

Walk into any supermarket and you're met with recipe leaflets. Turn over any packet and there are serving suggestions and cooking tips. Open any magazine, newspaper, or one of the legions of cookbooks that festoon the shelves. Then there are whole TV channels, cooking/baking programmes, the YouTube clips..... the list is endless. You could even ask a friend, a MN message board or post something on Facebook.

You'd have to be really, really determined to avoid it all.

WorraLiberty Thu 24-Jan-13 15:26:17

More deals should be done in supermarkets for healthy food.

But regarding not knowing how to cook...anyone who has access to the internet and wants to learn can learn.

Learning to cook has never been easier.

There's a pound bakery apparently opening in my town. Cooplands is pretty cheap compared to greehs tbh.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:27:11

As I said, a pan of soup might be more economical, but the initial outlay plus the actual making of it is daunting. What part of that can't you grasp? If people have never seen others cooking, it can be scary. There are also some people who won't eat soup, ds, for example, has sen and can't stand certain textures in food. Soup would be impossible. As are eggs.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 15:30:01

But for some people it can be pretty scary.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 15:31:46

Yes, but you have to know what those instructions mean, cogito.

It's not immediately obvious what 'simmer' or 'poach' or 'fry' mean. My brother has watched a grown man put oil and a piece of chicken in a pan, turn the heat up til the oil spits, so he would have ended up with burnt outside and raw inside. This guy honestly didn't know what to do. Sure, he'd have worked it out by trial and error, but you need spare cash to do that.

You can't do it if you don't have the spare cash (or the TV you assume everyone has, or the ability to read you assume everyone has - you don't know much about how some poor people live if you think these are standard, I would suggest.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now