Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this is pretty shit. Greggs sausage rolls related...

(187 Posts)
TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 13:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 14:02:09

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 14:02:50

Well, I'M so poor that I ate a moth roasted with a patch of turf for dinner.

Jesus. Talk about competitive sad-facing.

I know what you are saying, op, it does seem that shite food is cheaper and poor eating habits can definitely be attributed to poverty.

Cortana Thu 24-Jan-13 14:06:22

Haha at your "farty soup" LRD.

I think they do the bulk offers in supermarkets are awful. £2 for a pack of waffles, or £3 for two packs of waffles. Why not £1.50 for a pack of waffles! But then the supermarkets don't give a shit if you're unhealthy, if you're overweight or poor. They want to sell as much stuff as possible.

As LRD said, it's either put the time in or suffer it, but not everyone has the time or even the skills.

MrsGeologist Thu 24-Jan-13 14:06:25

Could have been worse TSC, it could have been Pound Bakery.

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 14:07:32

LRD, plus few people know how to cook from scratch. My mum never taught me (just as well, she's a dreadful cook) and when both parents work its hard to find time to cook "properly" pasta gets boring 5 days a week.

RillaBlythe Thu 24-Jan-13 14:07:33

LRD - time, & also you need a knife, a stove, a pan, a spoon & a bowl. At the bare minimum. Scales & a measuring jug & a chopping board would be good too.

Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 14:07:33

ShellyBobbs Thu 24-Jan-13 14:08:08

Aldi are brill for fruit and veg offers. You can usually make a nice soup or casserole with the offer foods, I usually bung a load into the slow cooker. It's not badly priced anyway there.

MrsGeologist Thu 24-Jan-13 14:08:19

Tesco do that a lot Skankorama, the bastards.

FrankWippery Thu 24-Jan-13 14:09:06

Firstly, I need no persuading to eat at least 2 Gregg's sausage rolls.

Secondly, and far more importantly we have to pay £1.20 for two down here. To say I am pissed off is putting it mildly. angry

PandaOnAPushBike Thu 24-Jan-13 14:09:18

Could someone kindly post me a Gregg's sausage roll. Or any sausage roll really. We can't get them in Sweden. sad

Yep, true.

Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 14:09:34

These type of offers (and BOGOF) are outlawed in Germany, for the reasons you say.

Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 14:10:33

RillaBlythe Thu 24-Jan-13 14:11:18

This is a great blog post on the subject.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:13:16

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 14:13:25

YABU Greggs can only promote the crap they sell. Go into any supermarket produce section and there are plenty of special offers on fruit and veg, bread, dairy etc. You could make 99p go a lot further & a lot healthier than 2 sausage rolls

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:16:30

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 14:17:06

I always thought I couldn't cook, because I'd never learnt. When dh got a better paid job and I could afford to experiment/makes mistakes (because if you only have 4 potatoes and one pack of mince in the house you can't afford to screw up) I taught myself. But having spare cash gave me the freedom and confidence to try.

RillaBlythe Thu 24-Jan-13 14:19:12

smile TSC.

TheSecondComing Thu 24-Jan-13 14:25:07

TrampyPants Thu 24-Jan-13 14:30:36

TSC, yep. Lidl do a fruit and veg offer, iirc, but if you factor in travel, etc its often cheaper and easier to buy something like a sausage roll.

PhallicGiraffe Thu 24-Jan-13 14:31:55

The solution would be to bung a load of tax onto fatty, salty, sugary foods, and use that money to subsidise fruit, vegetables and pulses. But it'll never happen. To many whining fat people.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 14:34:36

So what you're really saying is that fat people are so thick and lazy they should be saved from themselves by arm-twisting Greggs to never put anything on special offer .... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now