To think 'hun' is less twee and sickly than using 'D' in front of all abbreviations for family members

(75 Posts)
Bearbehind Thu 24-Jan-13 12:36:12

Spin off from another thread but it is a genuine question.

I don't really like the word 'Hun' and wouldn't say it in real life but I hate the use of 'D' in front of family member abbreviations ,DH, DD etc yet it is common place. I think this is far more twee, sickly and false than Hun.

Why is one acceptable but the other isn't?

Wouldn't people know what you meant if you just typed D, H etc?

lubeybooby Thu 24-Jan-13 13:02:54

Nah. Hun is efinitely more twee and sickly

I don't thing anyone actually says in their head 'my dear children' when they type 'my DC'

The D first is widely used all over the place. it's handy for making it known who you are talking about and not some random letter mistake or someones initial eg h, c, f,

hun has no use at all, unlike the 'D'

BumpingFuglies Thu 24-Jan-13 13:04:03

Dunno but MN seems to be doing rather a lot of navel-gazing today grin

JenaiMorris Thu 24-Jan-13 13:04:43

Unless you still quite like your Ex-H I suppose.

Bearbehind Thu 24-Jan-13 13:05:09

Fair point on the MH thing stretch. TBH I can't see why it needs a prefix anyway, as I said at the beginning, wouldn't H or D be sufficient?

Ex-DH is one of my biggest hates too Aboutthyme!

RosyRoo Thu 24-Jan-13 13:06:41

It's just a standard abbreviation used across Internet forums. The D doesn't necessarily mean anything anymore so don't let it bother you. It's easier to read a 2 letter abbreviation then a single letter. Barely any single letter abbreviations are used for this reason, for example in conception AF (aunt flo) is used not P for period.

Narked Thu 24-Jan-13 13:42:20

What Hully said.

snuffaluffagus Thu 24-Jan-13 14:53:55

I agree wtih you Bear, I don't likes it!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 24-Jan-13 15:04:49
GrimmaTheNome Thu 24-Jan-13 15:04:51

People do use just H or Ex-H to make a point.

Hun is very useful in the following cases:
1) discussing Attilla and the Mongol hordes
2) First-world war contemporary slang for 'German'
3) The baddies in Mulan.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 24-Jan-13 15:05:43

They're a bit too screamy and bloody for my liking.

Bearbehind Thu 24-Jan-13 18:54:26

Some very strange responses- it seems I was naive in thinking Hun was short for honey. Either that or i read less into these things than others

GrimmaTheNome Thu 24-Jan-13 18:57:13

Americans sometimes use 'hon' as an abbreviation for 'honey' - more logical and without the barbarian connotations.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Thu 24-Jan-13 19:04:19

Yanbu. I hate it too.

'Hon' is short for 'honey'.
'Hun' is often used in the same context and generally accompanied by text speak.

DH, DD, DS etc are all standard internet abbreviations and have been around a long time. I don't think 'Oh that's Dear Husband' when I read it, it's just shorthand.

And when referring to the children it often means something else: dratted, darn, damned, devilish etc. grin

And imo DH is far better than hubs. [boak]

PastaDee Thu 24-Jan-13 19:11:43

How about 'Hubster' *joyfulpuddlejumper'. Has that settled your stomach?!

YABU. I hate 'Hun'.

3monkeys3 Thu 24-Jan-13 19:13:17

I used to hate using dh, dd, ds, etc and just used to type out husband (or hubby - quickly realised that is frowned upon on mumsnet!), daughter, son but have since got used to it. I don't like hun.

FuriousRox Thu 24-Jan-13 19:21:21

Loathe hun. One of my friends used to call me that and it intensely irritating and patronising.

Initially found the whole dh, ds, dd thing confusing and odd but used to it now. Would never get used to being hunned by a stranger. Shudder.

cluelesscleaner Thu 24-Jan-13 19:30:14

Can't stand either! When would you ever in rl call the kids 'dear children'?

I actually like it when a poster types husband, kids etc.

catgirl1976 Thu 24-Jan-13 19:39:37

YABU

Hun is a word so awful I had to bleach my fingers after typing it

PessaryPam Thu 24-Jan-13 19:42:24

Yes I kind of agree, it's all twee and has been irksome before. It's a MN thing. Hunz is a FB thing, so it's common. :-)

thegreylady Thu 24-Jan-13 20:25:59

surely the 'd' thing is just mn and sets mnetters apart from them over there grin

fizzykola Thu 24-Jan-13 20:35:59

YANBU. It's all crap. What's wrong with writing 'husband' 'children' etc?

Complete clarity and takes 0.2 of a nanosecond longer.

The word 'Hun' in Glasgow can be a bigoted term of abuse. But I can't stand it as it's just so fake.

monsterchild Thu 24-Jan-13 20:36:33

Hon/Hun is what the waitress at the diner where we often get breakfast who sounds like she smokes and drinks too much calls you. That or darlin'.

notmyproblem Thu 24-Jan-13 21:13:21

What Pagwatch said. -->

But dh or ds is an endearment being used by a poster about a close relative.

Hun is usually being used by a virtual stranger.

One is a descriptor, the other is addressing a person. If you started calling the OP "DOP" that would be annoying too.

Terms of endearment used by a stranger to another person on the internet end up sounding sarcastic and/or just plain mean in a lot of contexts.

Hun is just grating regardless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now