Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to wish that MUmsnet (or anyone really) would pay me to analyse the AIBU section?

(18 Posts)
DoJo Thu 24-Jan-13 10:13:53

I would love to get to grips with some of the data to learn things such as the following:

1. Are most people in fact BU, and what is the split?
2. Is there generally a consensus on whether someone is BU or is there more often only a small majority in favour of BU or NBU?
3. Does it depend on the time of day as to whether people tend more towards accusing someone of BU or not?
4. How many poster, when told they are BU, actually accept it and resolve (at least for the purposes of the thread) to wind their necks in?
5. Is there a correlation between the number of swearwords used and the likelihood of being found to BU?
6. Are there certain topics which make people more likely to BU than others?
7. Is the number of posts on a topic an indicator of whether the OP is BU?

Unfortunately, it's the kind of thing which could easily become all-consuming, but are there any other questions you would like answered about this forum?

WingDefence Thu 24-Jan-13 10:26:12

Yes - how many threads don't actually belong in AIBU but somewhere else on the site, e.g. on What would you do.

I don't know why MNHQ don't just get rid of the WWYD thread.

FreudianLisp Thu 24-Jan-13 10:31:23

8. Are posters who have had a thrashing been told they're BU more likely to respond YABU on other people's threads?

FreudianLisp Thu 24-Jan-13 10:33:06

9. To what extent is there consistency in responses between different threads on the same issue?
10. To what extent does the first response to a thread colour subsequent responses by setting the tone?

amillionyears Thu 24-Jan-13 10:34:09

Yes. Does a thread swing a certain way, depending on the first 5 posters.
If the first 5 believe something, others are can then be frightened to post the opposite view.

DeepRedBetty Thu 24-Jan-13 10:35:34

9 What proportion of Aibu threads have anything to do with Parent Child Parking?

BIWI Thu 24-Jan-13 10:36:48

How many posters only ever post in AIBU?

amillionyears Thu 24-Jan-13 10:37:22

Other things.
It can also depend on which day you are posting.
I think, rightly or wrong, that a friday evening for example can get different repsonses to a monday morning.
A sunday night can be especially fraught because, people are bored, and then like to say more contentious things.

DeepRedBetty Thu 24-Jan-13 10:37:51

And to be serious again...

How often does thread start with a full set of YANBU answers, OP comes back, thanks everyone, releases a few more details, and promptly gets a load of YABUs?

amillionyears Thu 24-Jan-13 10:38:30

Agreed BIWI.
I have also noticed that some posters only stick to chat.
Or mainly, AIBU, chat, and site stuff.

Anniegetyourgun Thu 24-Jan-13 10:38:47

12 How many AIBU threads are started by posters who either have or claim to have changed their name?

atthewelles Thu 24-Jan-13 10:39:28

How many people log into AIBU because they're in a foul humour and just want to shout at people that THEY ARE BEING UNREASONABLE?

DeepRedBetty Thu 24-Jan-13 10:39:31

And I agree with amillionyears about the early response sometimes scaring off other people. Odd isn't it, that we care about the opinion of anonymous people on the internet?

And sometimes a word or phrase can cause such offence in the OP that it's focused in on...

"And YABU to call him XYZ" - sometimes something that is a daily used phrase but is considered not Politically Correct.
And this will set the tone and every poster after will comment.

DeepRedBetty Thu 24-Jan-13 10:41:30

Yes, how many AIBUS are actually venting rants, ending with words like 'I know I'm BU but I just had to let off steam' and a grin?

atthewelles Thu 24-Jan-13 10:42:31

I actually think posters starting threads should get a lawyer to look over their opening post to ensure they've included every clause, every possible scenario and every exception to the rule. Because if they don't think of them you can be damn sure some posters will.

Pigsmummy Thu 24-Jan-13 10:45:48

I didnt even know that the WWYD existed!

Oooh and as a slightly off topic.

Someone posts on AIBU-
a child was on the bus behind me , yelling and shrieking in my ear. The parents were doing nothing. AIBU to tell the child to sit down and STFU be quiet.

"Oh YABU. How do you know the child didn't have SN. He might have been distressed by being seperated from his parents/ routine being disturbed/the noise"
Fair enough. One of my DS friends would be upset by these.

But if an elderly woman on the bus was shouting and telling me I shouldn't take my pram on the bus"

Ignore her. She's a loon/a busybody/ a miserable old woman.

It can swing from one to the other. You can't dismess someone as a grumpy old codger any more than you can hazard a guess that every badly behaved child is a child with needs.

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now