Issues with school silly lying, say something or not?

(16 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:16:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:21:41

lagoonhaze Thu 24-Jan-13 09:22:46

There arent exactly taking her needs seriously are they? Wouldnt be happy myself. Quick phone call to limit any further damage to day followed by a meeting.

To be honest my 5 year old who get upset about those things and he has no known SEN.

DeWe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:25:07

Has she been told them personally, or it it telling the class/school?

MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:30:40

pictish Thu 24-Jan-13 09:31:24

If it's said to a group or the class, then I'm afraid it's a suck it up situation. You can't realistically expect them to modify everything they say for your daughter's sake....even though I can totally understand why you would want them to.

lagoonhaze Thu 24-Jan-13 09:34:28

Why should teachers even being lying to the whole school though?

OddBoots Thu 24-Jan-13 09:34:31

pictish But even if that is the case (and I do disagree there, teachers need to take account of SEND in their actions) since when was it acceptable for teachers to lie and/or make threats which they have no intention of following through? It's poor parenting never mind poor teaching professionalism.

Were they joking? I've known schools where they extended the term due to several days being shut due to snow earlier in the year.

MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:38:07

MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:42:27

MariusEarlobe Thu 24-Jan-13 09:43:10

Marius - it's happened round my neck of the woods, believe me.

cory Thu 24-Jan-13 09:54:18

I think you can realistically expect a teacher to modify what is said to the class to comply with DDA regulations (or whatever they are called in their new guise), in the same way as you would expect her to modify e.g. how a walk round the local area is organised in order to accommodate a child in a wheelchair. I see no reason why this should not come under the heading of reasonable adjustment.

I think you need to be very formal here, make an appointment to meet the SENCO/teacher and/or send a formal letter. Do not use negative language, such as lying, but couch it in positive terms of how the school can meet your dd's SN by always being very literal in any information to the children.

ApocalypseThen Thu 24-Jan-13 10:05:07

But do bear in mind that if your daughter is prone to worry there's a chance she may inflate the severity of what was said, so go with the attitude if finding out rather than accusing.

cory Thu 24-Jan-13 10:21:12

Very true, Apocalypse, and even if every word is correctly remembered, you still have a lot to gain through going in with an innocent attitude of asking what can be done to help. It's worked well for me over the years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now