Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be disappointed that Dp made my tea in my least favourite mug

(176 Posts)
usualsuspect Wed 23-Jan-13 21:05:37

I have several favourite mugs, Is it too much to ask that he uses one of them and not the horrible thick one? I like a nice thin china mug.

grin

Ok I'm bored, sorry.

YANBU!
Tea just doesn't taste right out of a thick mug, it's gotta be China.
I will be showing this thread to dcs to prove I am not weird in being a fussy cow about my favourite cup (they'd have you believe I change which is my 'favourite' on a weekly basis)
Throw it down the sink and demand a fresh one is made PROPERLY!

Sokmonsta Wed 23-Jan-13 21:44:29

I've solved our problem of tea not being in a bone china mug. With only 3 exceptions (dh has a Starbucks coffee mug and the elder dc have a small, thick mug each), our collection of mugs are bone china. Saves me being disappointed as it does not taste the same in a thick mug <scowls thinking of my chunky mug at mums>

GetOrf Wed 23-Jan-13 21:45:09

Lol at the potteries.

I have to have tea lava hot. Xp used to make the tea and then DITHER in the kitchen for a few minutes and then give the tea to me not completely boiling.

And my xMIL. I love her very much but why does she stir cups of tea and coffee in an endless vortex for minutes on end? Just give me my bloody tea and put the spoon down.

usualsuspect Wed 23-Jan-13 21:45:52

I have to control my anger if DS gives one of his great hulking mates my mug with the beach huts on.

Foggles Wed 23-Jan-13 21:46:40

I would like to donate at least half a dozen bastard mugs that are cluttering up my cupboards. I keep hiding them behind closed doors but they make their way onto the mug tree.

I especially would like to donate DH's Darth Vader mug that breathes heavily when I switch the kitchen light on.

seeker Wed 23-Jan-13 21:47:41

Never mind all this mug business-GetOrf, our cutlery gets lost too. How, for the love of mike, how?????? it can't bloody walk, or phone for a cab- where is it all???

LiveItUp Wed 23-Jan-13 21:47:51

Yes, GetOrf, no dithering, not too much milk, has to be still virtually boiling.

BelaLugosisShed Wed 23-Jan-13 21:49:33

Dear departed MIL used to have China beakers <shudder> , my Grandma
( who worked for Clarice Cliffe) would have been horrified .

DH is just as bad, he has to have his weekend-morning tea in his humungous Star Trek mug - I can't use his Boba Fett mug, that's special . hmm

Foggles Wed 23-Jan-13 21:49:33

I would like a colour chart on my kitchen wall so I could ring the colour I want my tea.

mum11970 Wed 23-Jan-13 21:52:20

Back with my panad (tea) in a nice thin, plain white mug. Dh seems to have a problem with the top half of a mug, what's the use in half a cup of tea.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Wed 23-Jan-13 21:52:23

Have just read the first post and thought Greensleeves/Alfrex - is that you? grin

beachyhead Wed 23-Jan-13 21:52:42

My husband takes my best mug OUTSIDE..... There are outside mugs, and there are strictly inside mugs......

GetOrf Wed 23-Jan-13 21:53:09

Seeker - where does cutlery bloody go, it is one of my perennial rants 'why in the name of GOD are there only two TWO TWO teaspoons in the drawer' and then scour the house in rage.

Not knives. I have about 27 knives. And lots of desertspoons. But no teaspoons and forks. Forks! How do I lose forks?

Liveitup - only a tiny bit of milk. I can't have it too milky because of (a) temperature and (b) vile milkiness.

Oh god I am going to die alone.

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Wed 23-Jan-13 21:53:43

My DH decided to defrost a few prawns for his sandwiches next day in my favourite mug

For the love of god Mr Sudaname - not acceptable. Not acceptable at all.

Oh the sheer disappointment of being served tea in a glass mug. Totally ruins any possible enjoyment from having a cup of tea. Made all the worse if you have been out and about and are wet/cold/grumpy and haven't had a cuppa in hours. This happens a lot in Poland. Mind you they don't make tea properly over there anyway let alone serve it in an acceptable vessel.

I'll stop now.

usualsuspect Wed 23-Jan-13 21:54:18

Lol at inside and outside mugs

LoveMyBoots Wed 23-Jan-13 21:54:42

So very glad to hear that I am not the only one with a mug hierarchy (DH thinks I'm barking).

And also glad that someone else feels the need for a tea colour chart. Why wouldn't you?

misscomanche Wed 23-Jan-13 21:54:42

YANB at all U- there are good tea vessels and completely wrong vessels. Thin china is best, thick mugs are awful. They seem to retain the heat for ages and burn my hands while the tea itself grows cold.
And getorf I also have a lovely wooden spoon and a substandard spoon that upsets me when I have to use it.
And soup spoons are best for cereal. And forks with 3 prongs are iffy.

pepperrabbit Wed 23-Jan-13 21:56:00

I have had the kitchen painted the same colour as my favourite mug.

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Wed 23-Jan-13 21:56:04

I agree beachyhead

The outside mugs are the ones I can give to the window cleaner happy in the knowledge that should he forget to pass it back to me, I'm not going to be pissed off it's been left outside for days.

I've got mugs for coffee (sort of barrell shaped that hold the heat and alot of coffee)

Special little glass ones for my Tassimmo. << strokes Tassimmo gently)

If my DS (13 yo) made me coffee, I'd even drink it from the guinea-pigs bowl. But the lazy little blighter wouldn't.
13 yo. ...is it too late to leave him somewhere. The maternity ward isn't an option, it closed down hmm

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Wed 23-Jan-13 21:56:55

A 3-pronged fork shock

Not under my roof

Foggles Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:06

The weight of cutlery is important.

It is impossible to eat a meal with a heavy knife and a lightweight fork.

You would just fall over.

GetOrf Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:11

YES I knew it couldnt be just me with a spiteful wooden spoon (it is spiteful because it doesn't have a decent edge so if I stir something it catches). I hate that spoon.

I still however have a much loved metal cooking spoon which I remember buying when pregnant with dd, and it has been on its travels with me for 18 years. I love that spoon.

LiveItUp Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:14

Too true, favourite inside mugs can not be risked in the great outside.

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Wed 23-Jan-13 21:58:00

Glass 'cups' make tea and coffee look too milky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now