Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want dc2 to be summerborn for financial reasons?

(106 Posts)
hellohellohihi Wed 23-Jan-13 18:49:04

Obviously I know you can't plan these things too too much, but if our next baby is born in July or August 2014:

- my bonus will be included in my mat pay calcs

- dd will be almost 3 and will get funded childcare places so her nursery costs will be lower, minimizing the cost whilst I'm in mat pay.

- by the time dc2 goes to nursery dd will still have a years worth of funding

- dc2 will require a year less childcare due to being one of the youngest in the year

Am I being naive/foolish for crossing my fingers for this?? Obviously this is based on numerous assumptions but I just wondered if I'm the only one who tries to "engineer" their pregnancies to maximise their financial situation?!?!

AliceWChild Fri 25-Jan-13 07:43:29

Miria, pretty much. I held off until the start of my window. Then tried. Obviously it then depends how quickly you conceive.

AliceWChild Fri 25-Jan-13 07:44:55

Very good point re illness honeytea.

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 07:57:38

"I love being summer born, my birthday is equidistant from Xmas"

That's why DD likes having a summer birthday. SIL's birthday is just before Christmas and OH's just after and he never enjoys his birthday. Being one of the youngest hasn't held her back. She is in the top sets for everything at school and we can do fun, outdoor things for her birthday.

VinegarDrinker Fri 25-Jan-13 08:27:20

My birthday Aug 31st. My teacher Mum was worried (due mid Sept) but without boasting or listing my CV, it's fair to say it has never held me back academically. I never struggled at school or Uni and have a successful professional career.

My first DS is a Feb baby and no 2 is due in July. I really can't get hung up about the school performance thing. There are so many more important factors.

VinegarDrinker Fri 25-Jan-13 08:29:37

My birthday *is Aug 31st

(I am so obviously not disadvantaged by my summer birthday that I can even make correct sentences. Sometimes)

Chunderella Sun 27-Jan-13 19:14:23

Mirai it's true that one can't assume- although I have only ever had unprotected sex once in my life and it resulted in DD, so perhaps the same will happen next time! But if you know you'd prefer to have a baby in, say, early August, you give yourself the maximum chance of this by beginning TTC in early November. If it doesn't work it doesn't work, but obviously you won't get what you want if you don't try. In your case, the sensible thing would be to start TTC in July. Either it works, in which case you get your April baby. Or it doesn't, in which case you have to decide whether you'd rather wait another year to have an April baby, or keep trying and probably conceive before that. You have to be in it to win it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now