to think Facebook/Mumsnet addiction is a real problem?

(124 Posts)
blindinglight Wed 23-Jan-13 16:23:38

...I suffer from this debilitating condition and wonder if there is any help for people like me. My house is a complete fucking shit tip, my children are currently fighting over who eats the last biscuit, I am constantly in a state of worry that I have posted the wrong thing or missed something... all I can do is keep refreshing the page while chaos reins.

Delete the bloody thing then... block the websites... get an arsing life...

I really can't delete my FB page as my business is thriving on there and you need to have your personal account to keep the business one open

BrandonFlowersHoHoHo Wed 23-Jan-13 18:23:22

If it wasn't for mobile Internet I'd never be online. Some days I'm online and browning mince at the same time.

OverlyYappyAlways Wed 23-Jan-13 18:24:52

YANBU

advice If you ever leave try stay away, I did for almost a year, I came back and it's just got worse, I do not want my Dc memory of my head in Mumsnet...I even have a picture of a kitten, staring at a mumsnet screen on a PC.

DS said last week 'oh yeah cos your talking to all the men on mumsnet' confused Maybe I should explain the site....

My iPad is away being repaired at the moment,So I only have access to DH's laptop when he is out at work.

The house is clean, The laundry is up to date, Meals are being cooked from scratch, baking is being done.

I may get the time on website limiting software when I get my ipad back, I like the clean and shiny house.

blindinglight Wed 23-Jan-13 18:36:42

So what is this website limiting software - does anyone actually know?

mrsjay Wed 23-Jan-13 18:38:50

we could have a mumsnet addiction group

oh that would defeat the purpose would like throwing alcholics in a vat of wine

mmmmm vat of wine

mrsjay Wed 23-Jan-13 18:39:49

My dog comes up to the keyboard and taps it for my attention blush

FlouncingMintyy Wed 23-Jan-13 18:41:00

Yanbu. I can't understand Facebook addiction though, or maybe my friends just aren't interesting enough!

Jamie, I too am very grateful that I didn't discover Mumsnet until my children were older and at school so that at least when they were toddlers I really was "there" with them and not permanently distracted by something else.

I have found that having a job really helps!

mrsjay Wed 23-Jan-13 18:45:52

I don't do fb very much I couldnt get addicted but i dont play any of the games on it

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 23-Jan-13 18:53:22

Yes, FlouncingMintty, that's just it.

I have got myself banned a couple of times. Just email MNHQ and ask them to ban you. Good test of how addicted you are.

Fakebook Wed 23-Jan-13 19:02:19

I think I'm addicted. It all went wrong during the Christmas Holidays; too much free time. Lie ins. I'm trying to wean myself off.

ledkr Wed 23-Jan-13 19:03:11

Yanbu I have turned into a right lazy arse since having dd2 imagine all the stuff that would get done without it.
I sit next to dh glued to my I phone even in bed blush
I really have to cut down but what if I miss something <panics at the thought>
Mn should have a system where if interesting things happen you get a warning!
Come on mnhq

ledkr Wed 23-Jan-13 19:05:10

I don't do FB. Either. I set it up twice and annoying people from the past kept contacting me. I got freaked out.
fake I thought you hadn't been on a while. Are you going cold turkey? grin

AlienReflux Wed 23-Jan-13 19:11:12

I realised today my MN is getting out of hand, my DD came up and took my hand off the mouse sad

might try and google that limiting software (goes to google for 3 hours!)

Fakebook Wed 23-Jan-13 19:11:45

Ledkr, no I'm not brave enough to go cold turkey! Just lurking slightly more now grin.

OverlyYappyAlways Wed 23-Jan-13 19:19:44

I still do my house-work, I know it is getting bad though, I tried to turn TV over with my mouse and was annoyed when it didn't work sad

mrsjay Wed 23-Jan-13 19:22:17

you all need to set yourself a timer for during the day so when it buzzes you all get off and look after your poor neglected babies grin

MsVestibule Wed 23-Jan-13 19:27:28

I normally MN on my iPod. The other day I was reading an actual magazine made out of paper and when I wanted to read the next paragraph, rather than move my eyes down or lift the magazine slightly, I pushed my thumb up against the paper blush.

I do think I have an addiction to MN and am seriously considering asking DH (computer geek) to block it entirely for a month.

AlienReflux Wed 23-Jan-13 19:37:43

Msvestibule a m-m-m-month?? I'[m actually scared on your behalf, i can't possibly be as drastic as that.

I know what I need to do, come in from school run, take dog straight out, then not put PC on til DD goes for a nap, then have a good 45 minutes and get off, as in shut down the whole thing, til evening! Easy!

I leave it on. logged in, so keep nipping back and staying for 15/20 minutes instead of the intended 5!!

ledkr Wed 23-Jan-13 19:37:46

That's hilarious! I also want to type dh or dd when writing reports at work and often want to recommend something from mn to a client!

Fake how can you just lurk when there are so many important things to say!!!!

OverlyYappyAlways Wed 23-Jan-13 19:39:58

My babies are at school now so I should be studying tbh, actually it is DS2 to blame for me being here, if he had slept as a child I would not be here in the first place.

Boomerwang Wed 23-Jan-13 19:56:31

When I first found the site I once spent 7 hours on it non stop. I didn't have my kid that night, or if I did, she was in bed early or something. I don't go on MN if my child is awake apart from first thing in the morning after she's been fed when she wants to reacquaint herself with her toys.

I went off for ages and I'm only back now because despite having the internet again after a month without, I can't be bothered to play another mmorpg.

I can take it or leave it. I find MN is a bit like a soap. If you leave it too long everything's different when you come back, but if you follow the storyline avidly it's really good entertainment!

Ah so glad to find MN Additcts Anonymous!

I have been seriously sleep deprived since I downloaded the android app!

My dh has now banned phones from the dinner table (him on twitter, me on mn).

I feel bad for ds (21m) but it is very boring playing cars all day. He has my attention when he gets the colouring book and crayons out though grin

YY to mn alerts so I don't have to keep lurking!

(dh asked me to put the kettle on 40 mins ago - I'm going to make myself put the laptop down and do it!)

Nagoo Wed 23-Jan-13 20:46:50

It goes in cycles for me. After 2 years a while you will have done every thread going and get fed up.

I use it as a reward when I've done other stuff.

Half hour before bed I turn it off and read a book otherwise I'm hitting refresh on TIO to see what I'm missing.

Most of the MNing time I have now is when it is quiet at work.

blindinglight Wed 23-Jan-13 20:49:44

Not even ging to ask what TIO is for fear of getting sucked in...

Don't tell me...

I'm not listening...

Lalalalala

TELL ME!

Passthesaltdear Wed 23-Jan-13 20:57:25

I feel sorry for the kids who sit there watching their parents stare at a screen not interacting with them for hours on end. Its not something any of us would have watched our parents do and I do worry about the long term effects on children caused by that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now