To ask how people manage with state nursery ?

(183 Posts)
JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:23:48

DD1 is due to start nursery in September with her free 15hrs grant. SIL currently watches her whilst DH and I work .

The nearest nursery to us only spreads the hours over 5 mornings or 5 afternoons . Each session is 3.5 hours long .

DH and I both work - how on earth to people manage drop off and pick up within 3.5 hrs ??

The nursery offers an "after school club" which also caters for nursery age children - but this would cost me £200 per month extra AFTER the grant has been take in to consideration .

SIL can't take and collect her as its too far from her and there are no nurseries within walking distance from her home (she doesn't drive).

Neither DH or I can change our work patterns again.

We simply can't afford that kind of commitment for a year until she starts school . How do people manage ?

We don't qualify for help towards childcare costs .

It looks like my dd won't be able to attend nursery . sad

SamSmalaidh Thu 24-Jan-13 17:35:58

You only qualify for childcare voucher if your employer offers them.

You can ask your employer to offer them though. Apparently it's very easy to set up.

lljkk Fri 25-Jan-13 07:59:02

DH employer wouldn't do it, said that it would cost him considerably more money (?). That was 8 years ago, though, maybe it's much easier now(?)

DIYapprentice Fri 25-Jan-13 09:46:45

It shouldn't cost employers anything. The amount that goes on childcare vouchers comes off your salary, so the employer doesn't have to pay NI on that amount. Some companies will charge the employers the whole NI amount so the employer comes out cost neutral, other companies charge less, so the employer can actually MAKE money.

I think the company saves on the NI saved with childcare vouchers. Even for smaller companies, it doesn't cost them anything to provide it.

Chumpster Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:47

Jingle - not sure what I'd do. It would partly depend on my opinion of both nurseries.

I would be tempted to leave DD in the same one all day, because it might be a bit tiring to move about. However, if I felt the state preschool was really excellent then that might outweigh the disadvantage of having to move from one to the other.

Also I'd think about how well DD would be likely to settle at school. If she is very confident and settles easily in new environments then that might encourage me to keep her in the private nursery because school settling would be OK. But if she's a bit more timid then it might be good for her to have some time in the preschool, so that she's used to the school (but equally if she's timid she might find it more difficult to go to two different places, especially if she's not been away from the home/sil home environment very much)

Maybe start her initially just at the private nursery and then ask her if she'd like to start going to preschool as well?
Lots to weight up.

She'll still have friends at the school even if she stays at the private nursery, as some of them will move across. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Chumpster Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:15

weigh up...

SamSmalaidh Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:16

It can cost employers if the employee goes on maternity leave though, as the employer still has to provide the vouchers even if they can't take the cost out of maternity pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now