Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask how people manage with state nursery ?

(183 Posts)
JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:23:48

DD1 is due to start nursery in September with her free 15hrs grant. SIL currently watches her whilst DH and I work .

The nearest nursery to us only spreads the hours over 5 mornings or 5 afternoons . Each session is 3.5 hours long .

DH and I both work - how on earth to people manage drop off and pick up within 3.5 hrs ??

The nursery offers an "after school club" which also caters for nursery age children - but this would cost me £200 per month extra AFTER the grant has been take in to consideration .

SIL can't take and collect her as its too far from her and there are no nurseries within walking distance from her home (she doesn't drive).

Neither DH or I can change our work patterns again.

We simply can't afford that kind of commitment for a year until she starts school . How do people manage ?

We don't qualify for help towards childcare costs .

It looks like my dd won't be able to attend nursery . sad

MsVestibule Wed 23-Jan-13 14:52:17

Jingle I don't think that it says only 2 days pw anywhere in your OP, or subsequent posts - we're not mind readers!!!

Hobbitation Wed 23-Jan-13 14:52:34

We used to pay nearly £800 a month for childcare at one point, and that was only for three days a week.

Themobstersknife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:52:36

OP I think you have been completely unclear !! What is the £200 per month quoted in your OP. I get the £350 is for two full days at private nursery.

I work 3 days a week and on those days DH drops off and then a childminder picks her up.

You just need to work out what you want and then work out how to make it happen.

I wanted my DD to go to school nursery and found someone that would pick up from there. Most of the kids that go there have parents at home. I would suggest that most parents who work use private nurseries.

Just the way it works out.

mrlazysfishwife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:53:56

I'm confused as it seems your OP wasn't clear. What hours would you get at the state nursery if you had your 15h then paid the top up £200? It implied it would be full time daily but now you're saying it's just two days a week?

Explain please!

Hobbitation Wed 23-Jan-13 14:54:19

Jingle Do the nursery do all day? DD2 does three full days now (Mon - Wed 9 - 3.30pm) so it's one extra session a week plus lunchtimes. Then you still need someone to pick her up after of course, and it depends what time your work starts also.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:54:24

I really can't believe that some ignorant people have got that I'm entitled , need my eyes opening and need to be in the real world ... From a post asking how people manage ?! confused

I repeat IT IS NOT FOR FULL TIME CHILDCARE!

mrlazysfishwife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:55:31

SO WHAT CHILDCARE IS IT FOR THEN???? Sorry I felt the need to shout back as you are being soooooooooooooo unclear!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 23-Jan-13 14:56:12

I think you've been really lucky to get free childcare, very lucky indeed, so i think you just need to suck up the cost of it for the next year.

If your sil hadn't been providing free childcare all this time them you would have been paying LOADS and this 200 or 350 or whatever it is would seem cheap. Its only because you've had it free that it now seems a lot of money.

My sister is the same. Had free childcare for 12 years! And now she has to pay for after school club at 5 quid a day she is outraged. Never mind me who hasn't had a days free childcare . . . ever, because everyone is too busy looking after my sisters kids angry

maddening Wed 23-Jan-13 14:57:13

The nursery ds was in when I was at work put the free hours into 1.5 days (full days 8am-6pm but obviously you don't have to leave dc there till 6. If you wanted to do 2 full days then it would be £25 for the afternoon session. So maybe look at private nurseries that accept the free 15 hours but might apportion them differently.

Themobstersknife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:57:14

Because your post reads as if the fact that you have to pay for childcare is some sort of revelation. When it is infact the reality for many 'ignorant' people such as myself. There are a number of people confused by your OP, but apparently we are all thick? confused

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:58:05

Maybe I haven't made myself clear sorry ...

State nursery - 5 mornings per week only . They offer the after school club but due to the costs , I couldn't afford to send her every day so I was looking at 2 days and not using the full hours - so for 2 days I would have to pay £200 top up .

Private nursery - 2 full days per week - take off the 3.5hrs education leaves top up costs of approx £350 per month .

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 23-Jan-13 14:58:07

Oh and the way we manage is that i can't go out to work at all. Instead i work from home occasionally but the work is hard to come by.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:59:42

themobster really ??? I mean really ???? hmm

Paying childcare costs is not a revelation .

Hence why I'm looking now ... To work out the best way - the exact reason I asked for what people do to manage !

mrlazysfishwife Wed 23-Jan-13 15:01:10

Thanks smile. Have you looked at childcare vouchers? Would that help at all?

Unfortunately childcare costs. I understand that it's a shock if this is the first time you've had to think about it, but it does.

So with 2 full days at nursery costing you £350/month what other expenses do you have?? Do you pay your SIL or would the £350 cover your total childcare?

No you are not making yourself clear............

cory Wed 23-Jan-13 15:02:20

I don't think anyone does manage except by accepting that for a few years before they start school money is going to be very tight. I was working at a loss during that period of my life, though still found it worth doing for the sake of my future career.

We were paying £50 for 2 days/week for two dc and that is over 10 years ago when salaries were also lower.

If I were you I'd sit down and work out a number of different options:

childminder fulltime

childminder to pick up before and after state nursery

state nursery+ after school club

then go with what is cheapest - or if you can't afford that, just leave her with SIL - nursery is not compulsory

Hobbitation Wed 23-Jan-13 15:02:55

State nursery is slightly erroneous. There are very few local authority run nurseries. The one DD2 attends is a private pre-school. There are also private day nurseries. The state provision of the free 15 hours applies wherever you are, even to CMs I believe.

LIZS Wed 23-Jan-13 15:03:42

She doesn't have to go to nursery. Does sIl currently have her 5 days a week ?

only to accredited child minders though, not all of them smile

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 15:04:49

"I didn't assume the state would automatically pick up the bill for my childcare when my child hit 3" ...

Oh FFS you are just spoiling for a bin fight aren't you ?? Grow up!

I admit my post wasn't exactly clear but for people to jump in saying ridiculous unnecessary accusations of me being "entitled " what a waste of fucking time !

Thank you to those that gave constructive advice and told me how they manage . That is what I asked for .

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 15:05:23

*bun fight obviously

Themobstersknife Wed 23-Jan-13 15:06:03

I think if you read your OP back when you are in a calmer mood, then you might agree. but maybe not. I will duck out, as you and I are clearly of very different mindsets.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 23-Jan-13 15:07:37

What a lovely sil you have, doing that for free! She could earn hundreds a month if she did that registered.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 15:08:06

Thank you cory and hobbitatipn - I will look in to those options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now