To ask how people manage with state nursery ?

(183 Posts)
JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:23:48

DD1 is due to start nursery in September with her free 15hrs grant. SIL currently watches her whilst DH and I work .

The nearest nursery to us only spreads the hours over 5 mornings or 5 afternoons . Each session is 3.5 hours long .

DH and I both work - how on earth to people manage drop off and pick up within 3.5 hrs ??

The nursery offers an "after school club" which also caters for nursery age children - but this would cost me £200 per month extra AFTER the grant has been take in to consideration .

SIL can't take and collect her as its too far from her and there are no nurseries within walking distance from her home (she doesn't drive).

Neither DH or I can change our work patterns again.

We simply can't afford that kind of commitment for a year until she starts school . How do people manage ?

We don't qualify for help towards childcare costs .

It looks like my dd won't be able to attend nursery . sad

I used a CM who used to collect DS from pre-school for me...is than an option? What plans would you have if she doesn't go to nursery at all?

Floggingmolly Wed 23-Jan-13 14:29:53

So what do you think the nursery could do to accommodate you?

Sorry, just saw your SIL has her.

To be fair, £200 for childcare isn't much, only £100 each if you and your DH split it. Would those hours be enough ?

WilsonFrickett Wed 23-Jan-13 14:32:31

Yep, that's why we used a private nursery.
Another mother once said to me 'school nursery isn't for your benefit, it's for your child's.' Made me hmm at the time but she was right - it's not childcare. I suggest you either find a CM or a private nursery where you can put the hours together - all of ours can use the 15 hours grant so you can have 1.5 days, for example which might fit better with your SIL.

Yes!! If you can use an accredited CM as well so that any days your DD doesn't go to the CM, you would get the 1.5 hr off your bill.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 23-Jan-13 14:34:04

Our school nursery is brilliant they can go 8-5 for £10 a day if you need them to and you can spread your hours as you want, ds goes 9-3.20 2 days a week and 9-12 one day, they let you swap and change too as long as you tell them the day before.

I'm a childminder and I pick up from preschool but if I drop off and pick up charge for the hours in between which is fairly common.

ReallyTired Wed 23-Jan-13 14:34:23

State nurseries are pretty inpractical if both parents work. Most working parents use a day nursery as very few school nurseries have wrap around care.

"The nursery offers an "after school club" which also caters for nursery age children - but this would cost me £200 per month extra AFTER the grant has been take in to consideration . "

Surely you can afford that if you aren't entitled to childcare tax credits. If that amount is for wrap around care then that is pretty amazing. Most people pay £4 to £5 per hour for childcare. Have you checked to see if either you or your husband employers do childcare vouchers and salary sacifice.

I think you need to look at your financial priorities. A day nursery is far more expensive than what you have been quoted for wrap around care. Children who don't attend nursery are at a real disadvantage.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 23-Jan-13 14:37:25

£200 a month is really not a lot to pay for full-time childcare - do you not get the childcare element of tax credits?

If you use a private nursery then you could lump the hours together to make a whole day twice a week, and then could your SIL have her the rest of the week?

Shakirasma Wed 23-Jan-13 14:37:29

YABU State nursery schools are not childcare facilities, they are educational establishments.

MrsBungleBear Wed 23-Jan-13 14:38:40

I couldn't make it work which is why my dd goes to a private nursery. The 15 hours free, though, has really helped with the bills. Has brought my nursery bills down significantly.

MsVestibule Wed 23-Jan-13 14:39:28

Have I got this right - your DD will go to nursery 5 mornings a week, then they will look after her for the rest of the day for just £10 per day? It just doesn't round right - assuming they're looking after her for at least 5 hours, they HAVE to be charging more than £2 per hour.

And if that is correct, I really, really cannot believe you're complaining about paying only £50 pw on childcare shock. How much do you pay your SIL? Does she also look after your other child/children?

Themobstersknife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:42:22

Count yourself lucky you have SIL. Otherwise you would have been paying in the region of £950 per month (depending where you live) for private full time nursery or a similar amount to a childminder, as soon as you went back to work. £200 is very reasonable. I pay more than that for my pre schooler's wrap around care, plus about £950 for my baby's nursery.
Your OP title reads as if 'state' nursery is so much worse than private. I think you need your eyes opening.
YABU to write such an entitled OP.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:42:22

I have also looked in to a private nursery for more practical reasons , but again - they will only deduct the governments contribution from the day (£9.50 I think) and then I have to pay the rest as well as lunches etch which comes to approx £350 per month .

DH and I earn an average wage - approx 30k between us , so we don't qualify for any help but after all bills and mortgage this is a big chunk for us .

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:44:46

Hang on a minute - I hardly think my post sounds entitled hmm .

I do count myself lucky and I'm not complaining about the cost ?! I'm asking how people manage .... I'm looking for alternatives / advice !

Bingdweller Wed 23-Jan-13 14:45:00

DD goes 12-3.15pm. I only work 2 days per week but will increase when she starts school.

I drop my DS at school, then DD to Inlaws and head to work. FIL takes DD to nursery for 12pm and she goes into wraparound with DS after nursery until I can pick them both up at 5.30pm. £3.60 per hour for each child but its only 2 days per week in term time, thankfully family look after kids in the hols.

I'd be lost without the fantastic wraparound service in our school.

You and your DH are not unusual......£350 per month for full childcare is acually pretty good, I paid more than that ten years ago. DH and I earn an average wage, didn't qualify for any help and yes we had bills and a mortgage too, same as millions and millions of others.

Trouble is, you are used to your SIL doing it.......but you do need to get into the real world at some stage. Your DD really should go to nursery for her own good, you need to sort something out to ensure that she does smile

elliejjtiny Wed 23-Jan-13 14:45:46

I'm a non-driving SAHM with no nurseries within walking distance. DS1 did 2 full days at a nursery near DH's work and we paid the difference. DS2 did 2 mornings at a preschool near DS1's school. I took DS1 to school on the bus, walked to pre-school, took DS3 to toddler group, picked up DS2, had lunch in a cafe/picnic in the park and then wandered round the shops/park until it was time to pick up DS1.

Can your SIL get a bus to a nursery that is more flexible with hours 2/3 times a week? Does she go to a toddler group? the only thing they learn at nursery that can't be done at home is things like sitting down on the carpet/mat while an adult is talking and not wandering off, taking turns and sharing. She can learn that in a structured toddler group like PEEP or music/dancing classes.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:46:23

It's not £200 per month for FULL TIME childcare - that's for 2 days per week .

What is the £350 then?? Is that full time.....you aren't being overly clear.

mrlazysfishwife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:48:20

So is your SIL looking after your DD for free? You've been very lucky until now if that's the case. £200 is really very very little to pay for full time childcare. Have you looked into childcare vouchers? DH and I get the full amount each (£243 each iirc). If you and your DH could get £100 each a month in vouchers then that would be at least a £40 saving.

I use a private nursery, as I have no choice, but the vouchers make a big difference.

The other thing you need to take into account is that the 15 free hours is only for 38 weeks. If you need the nursery year-round (if it's open in the holiday times) then it works out as 11 hours a week.

JingleUpTheHighway Wed 23-Jan-13 14:49:20

themobster I think you have completely missed the point !!

It's not full time childcare !! The private nursery costs are for 2 full days per week!

Themobstersknife Wed 23-Jan-13 14:49:57

When you have children, you look into the associated costs, no?
The reality is, either people pay for childcare, or are lucky enough to have friends or family they can lean on, or they are lucky enough to have an employer who will agree to flexible working patterns. I have no friends or family that can help. I have agreed flexible working, but I will still be paying out over £1,200 per month for childcare. I looked into this before having children. I didn't assume the state would automatically pick up the bill for my childcare when my children hit 3.

Hobbitation Wed 23-Jan-13 14:50:47

We paid for childminder and preschool (one extra session plus lunch time supervision) for DD1 and it was an expensive time. I was a lawyer then so yes we could afford it, but YANBU with average incomes it does make if very difficult, and the time issue as well. I think the amount from the Govt was about £400 a term so we just looked on it as a saving at the time. With DD2 I now work for myself from home, and DH gets vouchers with his job that cover the extra session and lunchtimes, so we are very lucky there.

I think most people where two parents work have to have family helping out somewhere to make it worthwhile. PIL had the girls one day a week which saved us a lot of money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now