ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To think DDs method of playing is exhausting and to want to know about your 4 and 5 year olds?

(30 Posts)
MrsMushroom Wed 23-Jan-13 07:49:57

DD is 4....5 in March. She's very lively and her fave form of playing is to think up long, complicated scenarios involving "spies".

If I'm playing with her I'm directed to within an inch of my life....*You stand there and then I come along but you DON'T see me....then I poke you in the ribs and you turn this way....not that way...this way and you still cant see me so you say "Huh?" and look around like this.....then you do see me but only after I've gone under the table and stolen all the cushions....*

And it goes on and on until she's satisfied then I have to try and remember all the bloody instructions! if I get it wrong she has a mild paddy and we begin again.

She rarely plays with dolls or toys which mean she'll sit alone like puzzles or cars..she prefers physical, action type things like wrestling and hide and seek and as I say, complex adventures she's invented.

Is this normal? I worry about her at school because I can't imagine other 4 and 5 year olds agreeing to this...she seems to have friends but how can I teach her to be more open to others ideas? How does your 4 and 5 year old play?

pictish Wed 23-Jan-13 14:39:33

OP...I'll freely admit to being crap at playing with my kids. What you describe...well, I sure as hell couldn't be bothered with it.

I am good in other ways, believe me...but being bossed around in a game of spies...nah. That's what the comapny of other little childen is for. It's not for me!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 23-Jan-13 14:43:15

My dc is like that. When they were younger me and my dh couldn't bare to play the games because it was so exhausting being told we were doing it wrong all the time. Luckily they now have a dc to play with and we do other things with them like painting etc.

I do feel guilty about it though.

pictish Wed 23-Jan-13 14:50:11

I don't feel guilty. I don't remember my mum or dad ever playing with me in that manner. It didn't have any ill effects on me at all. I was a kid, they were adults, end of story.

I am good at reading, jigsaws, a bit of crafty stuff, baking, and going out and being active...but role play and getting down to their level to play cars or dolls or role play games? Nope. It bores me rigid.

OvO Wed 23-Jan-13 14:53:27

Oh God, yes! This thread has made me laugh, my 5 year old DS is so like this. grin

God forbid if I go off plan. Mummy is NOT allowed to improvise. hmm

Yfronts Wed 23-Jan-13 17:06:35

yes that does sound like normal 4/5 year old play. The thing I would watch is that your DD isn't too bossy with other children as it can isolate her. We had an awful experience with a very forceful 5 year old who would had to have everything her way each play date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now