Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that if you don't clear the snow off your car properly you are a total Muppet?

(101 Posts)
fortyplus Wed 23-Jan-13 00:12:08

Actually I know I'm not - and here's an article to prove it

If you just clear your windscreen then your headlights and indicators are useless and the snow from your roof blows off onto following vehicles.

Where I live about 1 in 5 cars was driving round like this. Some drivers hadn't even cleared the windscreen or side windows of ice. It's unbelievable.

Oh yeah - and there was a thread on this last year and the inconsiderate wankers drivers who can't be bothered to clear their cars properly came up with all sorts of self righteous bollox about how they haven't got time to do it and it's not affecting other people etc.

So.. do you clear your vehicle properly of snow or do you think you're somehow exempt from following simple common-sense measures to help yourself and others drive safely?

MummytoKatie Wed 23-Jan-13 23:07:47

It is during threads like these that I love having a garage.

I do have to laugh at all the people on our estate who have a garage but park both cars on the drive. It makes me feel like maybe I am not the worst hoarder in the world after all!

starfishmummy Wed 23-Jan-13 23:41:48

I used ds's beach spade (its the long handled sort) which worked very well!

LtEveDallas Thu 24-Jan-13 06:57:28

So buy a broom Monty, keep it in the van and stand on the sill of the door to reach the room. Cost you less than a £60 fine...and whilst you're driving a van because your little car is useless in the snow spare a thought for those who don't have an option, and whose journey YOU are making even more dangerous.

LtEveDallas Thu 24-Jan-13 06:57:56

...reach the ROOF...

issimma Thu 24-Jan-13 07:09:05

'Fessing up to being one of these idiots. I always cleaned windscreen/headlights/windows fully, but never even thought about the roof. And I like to think I'm quite clever hmm.
Thanks op, my roof is now clear (small car so I just used the windscreen scraper, no brush required).

AlienReflux Thu 24-Jan-13 07:25:28

issima I never thought about it either!! blush

I love the way there is always a reason for some people not to comply with safety rules.

Perhaps they should think of solutions, not excuses. Then they won't have to explain to anyone if they cause an accident through ignorance/laziness.

fortyplus Fri 25-Jan-13 21:48:54

i'm glad to see that most people agree - but who (apart from Montybojangles who is clearly a Muppet to put it politely) are these ignorant lazy people who have so little regard for others?

One more thing... 4x4s are a perennial thorny subject, but I thought I'd share with you that I've only seen two overturned bvehicles in the current snowy weather and they were both 4x4s!! Their drivers must've forgotten that they can still slip sideways despite the chunky tyres!

Gooseysgirl Fri 25-Jan-13 21:57:22

YANBU
I'm barely 5ft and use a broom, simples! Pure and utter laziness not to do it and downright dangerous. I was also astounded at the number of drivers around here (suburban London) who hadn't cleared the snow off their vehicles.

Sokmonsta Fri 25-Jan-13 22:05:22

YANBU. 4 days after snow last fell here and there are still twats driving with snow on their roof, and even their back window!! Ok I get that it might have frozen on, a bit. But still, a good hard shove with a broom will move it. Today I had a large lump fall off a van onto my windscreen as we both went round a bend (opposite directions). Made me jump!

I use the kitchen broom for my big car, and stand on the ledge to get right to the middle midget that I am. I even made dh take it with him when he went out as we were due a heavy fall.

JollyRedGiant Fri 25-Jan-13 22:07:51

I'm 5ft. I can't reach the roof of my car. Even with the broom. I have a tall car with roof bars so you can only get the roof from the front or back.

But I do clear all the bits I can reach. DH drives with a 6 inch square space to look through. Sigh.

CalamityJ Fri 25-Jan-13 22:13:34

37 weeks pregnant so cleared all of my windows, bonnet and roof except for a mohican down the middle I just couldn't reach grin. When not pregnant I always clear the roof because it annoys me driving behind a snowstorm someone else has created because they're too lazy to clear their roof. But I'm sure my mohican caused some inconvenience to people behind me unfortunately this year I decided to just roll with it.

discorabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 22:15:36

which muppet are you though? can't see big bird doing this

Montybojangles Sat 26-Jan-13 06:39:30

Why thank you so much forty plus in your judgy perfect pants.
I'm sure next year I will be more organised, but as its the first year with the van (after moving and getting trapped by weather last year) a broom was not on my list of essentials for kitting it out. As stated previously I cleared all the mahoosive sides etc and bit of roof I could reach with my dustpan, which wasn't a lot as its massively high. I leave for work at 7am, get home anytime between 7-9pm 5-6 days a week, would love to know when i was meant to fit in getting a broom.
Apologies for not thinking of everything. Wish i could be perfect, im sure it must be nice.

Gimmeecoffee Sat 26-Jan-13 07:14:34

YANBU! I got a lift on my friend the other day, when i got in i reminded her she had snow on the roof and that you could get a fine as it's dangerous. The reply was 'bullshit, you dont drive, what would you know' angry
Five mins later she had to slam the brakes on, on a very busy road and all the snow slid onto her windscreen blocking her view.
She shit herself grin

phantomhairpuller Sat 26-Jan-13 07:22:07

YANBU
Yesterday I followed a twat in a Audi, snow covered all but the windscreen. He had to brake suddenly and ended up with a snow drift over the front of his car wink he then preceded to block the road for 5mins whilst he cleared it all off [cocknose]

Cortana Sat 26-Jan-13 11:15:08

I love how "being perfect" is now encompassed by owning a broom and ensuring your being on the road isn't a danger to others.

Here Monty, cheap, soft bristled and they'll bring it to your door or you can pop in and collect it from your nearest branch on the way home. Luckily with you having a van it shouldn't be a problem keeping it in your vehicle.

You obviously know more than your friend Gimmee, I'm glad you were both ok, but I also hope you felt nicely smug. grin

gordyslovesheep Sat 26-Jan-13 11:54:07

wow !

I wont use a broom - I do not wish to mangle the paint work on my car

I use a large brolly folded down and clear at least all but 1/2 an inch off the roof

the height comment was, you know, light hearted - didn't realise people where so passionate about it - blimey!

A soft bristled broom or brush will not mangle your paintwork.

Last time it snowed we saw some twat driving around with his car utterly covered in snow, all windows/roof/bonnet/boot etc except for a circle where his head was. I can't help thinking it was probably more effort to only clear that circle than to just clear the majority of the snow confused

fortyplus Sat 26-Jan-13 12:41:56

Montybojangles when it comes to twats who endanger other people on the road because they can't be arsed to make a bit of effort then yes I'll judge away!

Far from perfect myself but wouldn't knowingly cause a danger to other road users.

Montybojangles Sat 26-Jan-13 21:18:46

Meh. Please do enlighten me as to how I was to manage this given the previous facts provided. Seeing another car on the road would have been something round here.

3monkeys3 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:22:53

I couldn't get all the snow off my roof earlier in the week and then it all fell down onto my windscreen when I braked slightly sharply! It all packed down and my wipers couldn't move it - had to put hazards on, get out and do it with my hands. Luckily luckily luckily I had just pulled into a car park - minutes earlier I'd been on national speed limit lanes. Fucking scary. Clean snow off your cars people!

I wonder if "oh I couldn't manage it" cuts it when people fail to do any other basic safety requirement?

ouryve Sun 27-Jan-13 08:47:55

YANBU.

I saw people driving up our road, yesterday who had done no more than turn their windscreen wipers on. They had 2" of fresh snow on their car roofs. Bound to end up blowing onto the car behind the minute they get up to speed on the main road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now