To think that if you don't clear the snow off your car properly you are a total Muppet?

(101 Posts)
fortyplus Wed 23-Jan-13 00:12:08

Actually I know I'm not - and here's an article to prove it

If you just clear your windscreen then your headlights and indicators are useless and the snow from your roof blows off onto following vehicles.

Where I live about 1 in 5 cars was driving round like this. Some drivers hadn't even cleared the windscreen or side windows of ice. It's unbelievable.

Oh yeah - and there was a thread on this last year and the inconsiderate wankers drivers who can't be bothered to clear their cars properly came up with all sorts of self righteous bollox about how they haven't got time to do it and it's not affecting other people etc.

So.. do you clear your vehicle properly of snow or do you think you're somehow exempt from following simple common-sense measures to help yourself and others drive safely?

Spatsky Wed 23-Jan-13 11:00:51

Yanbu. A car went round a bend and a chunk of now cme off their roof landing right on me and my son on the pavement because the bend mention it came off sideways. Not lethal obviously but not very pleasant for us nod completely avoidable.

Spatsky Wed 23-Jan-13 11:01:10

*Snow

TimberTot Wed 23-Jan-13 11:02:48

Grrrr, it is so annoying spending the time properly clearing the car only to set off and have to suffer sprays of snow or dodge "snow dumps" from other cars.

This is my first winter with a bigger vehicle (yes, an SUV, so hate me why don't you) and I had originally struggled with my old snow scraper as I couldn't reach the middle of the roof or windscreen. I treated myself to an extendable scraper/wipe/brush combination from ASDA which is just the job. £5 well invested I reckon.

I didn't realise there was a fine that could be applied to people lacking common sense/with no courtesy to others. Hurrah, let's hope they fine a few eedjits to make others stop and think.

Mostly IMHO its just laziness of people who don't leave enough time on wintry mornings to prepare for the journey ahead.

We chucked our 10 year old onto our people carrier roof because we could reach. She thought it was great grin

A brush would have sufficed though!

*couldn't

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 23-Jan-13 11:07:17

Totally agree with TimberTot - it's just laziness on the part of the driver. One of my neighbours clears the smallest possible amount of space on her front and back windscreens, just enough for her to see through on one side. Couldn't believe it when I saw her driving up the road like this on Monday. So very very dangerous and bloody lazy. Definitely YANBU.

RustyBear Wed 23-Jan-13 12:42:40

Of course, it is also a good idea to clear the snow off your car before clearing the entire driveway all around it....

<<gets snow shovel out again>>

Poledra Wed 23-Jan-13 12:52:36

I never clear snow off my car in the morning.

I have a garage <smug>

Cortana Wed 23-Jan-13 15:21:02

Get you Poledra! Our new house makes me feel very posh as it has a driveway, my partner sorted it all and I saw it for them first time when we moved in, apparently my excitement was a bit sad. I cannot imagine the dizzy rush that would come from parking in my own garage.

MTBMummy Wed 23-Jan-13 15:33:56

only 1 in 5? I'm surprised, either that or I live in a village of selfish twunts

Most mornings since this snow, I have seen cars covered in snow, and in one case even saw someone driving with their head out the window as they stopped and everything on the roof slid down their windscreen. Pillock!

manicbmc Wed 23-Jan-13 15:50:27
Crawling Wed 23-Jan-13 15:53:03

ooops oops I am newly passed and genuinely didn't think/realise I only cleared all windows, indicators, lights and number plate but I didnt really think about the roof and bonnet/boot sorry really sorry if anyone was behind my igloo car. Im a muppet.

Kewcumber Wed 23-Jan-13 16:01:05

I followed a car at the weekend who had only cleared a post box size section of the front windscreen. rear window and side ones totally thick with snow. I would have gesticulated at him to politely clear his windows but I doubt he could see me, not being in the tunnel view in front of him.

goldiehorn Wed 23-Jan-13 16:15:43

Oh my god, I am probably going to get crucified for this, but I have been driving for 13 years and I think of myself of having a fair amount of common sense.

But I have NEVER cleaned the snow of the roof/bonnet of my car blush blush blush

Windscreen and windows I always make sure are clear. But it has never even occured to me that the snow could fall off the roof and onto my windscreen or someone else's car. And I certainly did not know that you could get a 60 quid fine for it!

Thank goodness for Mumsnet!

FudgeyCookie Wed 23-Jan-13 16:35:56

Dallas oh dear, Tiverton is only about 5 mins up the road from me, astonishing!

Nincompoopery Wed 23-Jan-13 16:42:57

Knew cucumber, same here. Idiots around here think they not need to clear a 6 by 6 inch square off the windscreen, rear, side and roof as well as bonnet completely covered in snow. Then proceed to drive like maniacs. Winds me up every time.
I use a soft sweeping brush to clear mine (smug look) but love the idea of throwing DD on the roof to clear it!

Nincompoopery Wed 23-Jan-13 16:43:39

*Sorry meant Kewcumber, damn predictive text.

NaturalBaby Wed 23-Jan-13 18:14:16

I've been told 'you don't drive an igloo'.
I saw a roof full of snow fall forward onto the windscreen of a car earlier, totally covering the whole windscreen. Fortunately for the idiot he was stopped in traffic.

Smellslikecatspee Wed 23-Jan-13 19:13:48

It's a £60 fine, and up to 6 points.

OH knows several coppers, nice little money maker according to them.

PurpleStorm Wed 23-Jan-13 21:10:06

YANBU.

I cleared the 4 inches of snow off the top of my car before setting out today. It only took a few minutes.

Sadly, I wasn't smart enough to do that before I shovelled all the snow off the drive.

KenLeeeeeee Wed 23-Jan-13 21:12:13

YANBU. I raged about this all the way to Tesco & back earlier. At one point I (the passenger, I must stress!) was threatening to take photos of cars with snow on the roof & email them to the police.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 23-Jan-13 21:21:22

YANBU.

Nearly caused dh to crash the other day. The motorways are worse as obviously higher speeds.
So dangerous, prosecute and fine the lazy buggers.

MousyMouse Wed 23-Jan-13 21:28:57

yanbu

TheMightyLois Wed 23-Jan-13 21:35:10

Manicbmc - I saw a car just like that this morning, thankfully going the other way!

I couldnt clear my roof on Friday, just couldnt reach the middle of it. The whole bloody lot fell down onto my windscreen when I braked, luckily it slid all the way down. Was blind for a second though!

Montybojangles Wed 23-Jan-13 22:15:00

yorkshire deb, yep, driving as I was typing. I figured I'd flaunted the law regarding snow on my roof so in for a penny, in for a pound...
Don't have a broom, and i park 1/4 mile away from home as road impassable so I'm not about to lug steps/a chair down a vertical ice rink to struggle to get the snow off a 7 ft tall vehicle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now