To think that if you don't clear the snow off your car properly you are a total Muppet?

(101 Posts)
fortyplus Wed 23-Jan-13 00:12:08

Actually I know I'm not - and here's an article to prove it

If you just clear your windscreen then your headlights and indicators are useless and the snow from your roof blows off onto following vehicles.

Where I live about 1 in 5 cars was driving round like this. Some drivers hadn't even cleared the windscreen or side windows of ice. It's unbelievable.

Oh yeah - and there was a thread on this last year and the inconsiderate wankers drivers who can't be bothered to clear their cars properly came up with all sorts of self righteous bollox about how they haven't got time to do it and it's not affecting other people etc.

So.. do you clear your vehicle properly of snow or do you think you're somehow exempt from following simple common-sense measures to help yourself and others drive safely?

It was minus 16 when we left the house this morning. Throughout the winter where we live it is almost without exception minus temperatures when we leave for work. Clearing the car, scraping and heating it up is just what we have to do. Boring, cold, annoying. But necessary.

RustyBear Wed 23-Jan-13 08:28:31

It's not just those behind you at risk from snow coming off your roof. Last big snow I saw someone who braked slightly and the whole mass slid forward over his own windscreen. The twat then tried to clear it off with his wipers.....

fluffyraggies Wed 23-Jan-13 08:35:18

I was hit by a bloody great load of snow flying off the roof of some tossers car as they sped past me at 80 on at 60mph limit road yesterday angry

I'd just spent 10 mins clearing my car off before i left the drive. While i was doing it i was shock at the number if idiots driving past with piles of snow all over their vehicles. Side windows, roofs, lights covered. What IS the matter with people? Is it just 'oh, common sense and road regulations don't apply to me 'cos i'm special' ???

Well, you're not! Clear your bloody car off properly. Grrrrrrrrrr.

dexter73 Wed 23-Jan-13 08:36:34

Binkyridesagain - you are right. The police can stop and fine you for not clearing the snow off your car as it is dangerous.

XBenedict Wed 23-Jan-13 08:43:44

Why wouldn't you? Bloody idiots! angry It's even in the highway code.

gordyslovesheep Wed 23-Jan-13 08:48:41

I do my best ...windows, lights etc all clear ...roof as best I can with a long brolly . I am 5ft1" and my car is not! But I try !

LittleChimneyDroppings Wed 23-Jan-13 09:29:59

I'd rather buy a broom and sweep the snow off the roof than get a £60 fine. Works out far cheaper! And then I dont have to worry if the snow falls off the roof behind me when I'm driving, causes an accident and possibly ends up killing someone because I couldn't be bothered to sweep it off.

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 23-Jan-13 09:40:51

I cleared all windows, and my mirrors. I don't remember my lights! I think maybe they weren't covered. Or maybe I'm just that stupid.

I didn't clear the roof of the car and when I came to a stop, chunks slid down my windscreen.

I'll cheerfully admit I'm a bit of a muppet!

Cortana Wed 23-Jan-13 09:41:48

YANBU. At all.

"It'll melt off the roof and bonnet ffs."
Or it'll fly off onto another vehicle, or slide down onto your screen impairing your view, or you'll get a £60 fine. I do hope it's the latter.

Yanbu. Driving down the A3 on Monday at 70 and the idiot in front hasn't cleared the snow off. We were a safe distance behind but he still covered our windscreen in snow. So, so dangerous. Luckily dp saw it coming.

EwanHoozami Wed 23-Jan-13 09:44:52

with regard to covering indicators, it wouldn't make a difference where I live as the twats who don't clear their cars are the ones that don't bother indicating anyway.

Jengnr not when it's four inches deep it won't hmm

skullcandy Wed 23-Jan-13 09:49:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I use dp to clear the car grin and also am lucky enough that I can start it up for ten minutes before I leave and go back indoors so it's warm when the dc get in

Spent half a fucking freezing hour with a broom clearing my car completely on Monday. If I at 5ft 2 can clear a decent sized car then there is no excuse for anyone else. Tossers.

Lancelottie Wed 23-Jan-13 09:52:09

I was pootling to the dentist yesterday with DS1 who was judgily and thin-lippedly* pointing out all the idiots with illegally snowy cars (he reads the Highway Code as a sort of hobby).

Very severe, he was.

Then one went by with a whole snowman perched on the roof, and suddenly DS1 changed his tune to 'Wow! Can we do that? I'm so going to do that next time it snows!'

*(if that's not a word yet it should be)

skullcandy Wed 23-Jan-13 09:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

leddeeburdee Wed 23-Jan-13 09:59:34

This is a pet hate of mine too. Nearly crashed a couple of years ago when a 7 seater car covered in snow pulled onto the motorway in front of me and put his foot down. His acceleration meant the entire lot of snow slid off the top of his car and dumped it entirely onto the front of mine and my windscreen. The motorway was already snowy and it could have been really nasty.

Takes hardly any time to get the broom and sweep the car off. YAdefNBU.

Ironically, I was reading this five minutes ago thinking "How true, dickwads the lot of them."

Then I text my boss just after reading it to say I can make it in and in that five minutes, my road to work, which was open going northbound this morning (but not southbound due to cars abandoned on the road, but I could get to work) has been shut due to excess snow on the road. No doubt from idiots not clearing their cars because it hasn't snowed any more here this morning!

So now the only way I can get to and from work is trying to go through the centre of Brighton, with everybody else trying to do the same!

sixlostmonkeys Wed 23-Jan-13 10:35:30

jengnr it doesn't just melt off the roof (ffs) It slides off and lands on the road or the car behind you. Or, when you break it slides down your windscreen (which means you can't see (just explaining....)
Last year I saw the snow slide onto the windscreen of a moving car - which then crashed into a parked car.
Yesterday, I saw umpteen cars splaying snow all over the place. One car had the more compact frozen snow on top. This flew off and hit a pedestrian in the face. Imagine a lump of ice travelling at 40 mph hitting you in the face!

sue52 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:41:45

If you're too short to reach, use a broom. It's not difficult or time consuming and it might just save a nasty accident.

BlueberryHill Wed 23-Jan-13 10:44:15

JengnrWed 23-Jan-13 06:22:55

Windows, lights, that's it.

It'll melt off the roof and bonnet ffs.

FFS not it won't. I learnt that lesson the hard way yesterday, the whole roof of snow slid down over my windscreen and I had to brake to a standstill, I couldn't see a thing. Luckily no one was behind me but it was a very sharp wake up call. I hadn't considered it before, sorry to everyone else, I won't do it again. I'd always make sure all the windows and lights etc were clear.

flowery Wed 23-Jan-13 10:44:31

YANBU. Very annoying and dangerous.

I can reach mine by standing on the door sill but either way it's perfectly possible to use a broom, umbrella or other implement so anyone who doesn't is lazy and inconsiderate imo. I had flying snow from cars landing on my windscreen continuously the other day.

TheDetective Wed 23-Jan-13 10:47:06

I cleared everything I could reach - the brush snapped when I started on the roof!! FFS! angry

Then it was still snowing, and everything got bloody covered again while I was in slow moving traffic.

Gah.

Sometimes you just can't win!

manicbmc Wed 23-Jan-13 10:47:52

I don't drive. Tried but am just not coordinated enough or observant enough and after 40 hours of driving lessons decided I would be a danger on the roads. But even I know it is against the law to drive with snow on the roof. It isn't rocket science to realise the snow is going to go somewhere once it thaws a bit. I've seen a few near misses over the last week because of this.

Taxi drivers are the worst offenders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now