Patsy kensit WW ad

(69 Posts)
Lexie1970 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:35:21

AIBU to be annoyed every time I see the ad to wonder why on earth she cannot walk in her heels without wobbling big time...... Is it the faux model swagger with hand on hip action grin

HannahsSister40 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:08:58

the preschool my eldest girl attended was next to a Weighwatchers meeting place and I used to pass them queuing up on our way out. There was rarely anyone in the queue over a size 14. I was always shocked at the number of very normal sized or tiny women there. I know people who go to their meetings as a 'social thing' but they are utterly utterly obsessed with their weight, with food, with exercise. I can't imagine living like that.

LPplusOne Wed 23-Jan-13 10:09:22

G.Wall actually looks worse all skinny in the face - like he's ha a horrible illness that's taken it's toll.

HannahsSister40 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:14:31

Depresses me just how many normal sized females hate their bodies.
There was an awful thread on Mumsnet last year full of women who declared themselves chubby or fat because they were larger than a size 8. And weren't shy in slating women who don't starve themselves, eat carbs and have a pudding. Is quite sinister and a symptom of our patriarchal society, the warped relationship women have with food. Fat is a feminist issue.

DoJo Wed 23-Jan-13 10:41:56

It depresses me that people are so quick to call some so ostensibly attractive 'ugly' just because they find her annoying. She may have made some poor decisions in her past which have taken their toll on her physically, but by no stretch of the imagination is she ugly.
I'm in two minds about the whole weight thing - at the ends of the scale are anorexia etc and morbid obesity, and somewhere in between is a magical land of being happy with your body when it's a healthy weight. Encouraging people to believe that obesity is ok so long as you're happy with your body is as unhealthy as the fat-shaming culture.

redbobblehat Wed 23-Jan-13 10:47:24

she could have at least got fat in the first place! thats what slebs normally do isnt it, get fat then lose it to sell the diet tips lol

she skipped the getting chubby part, she just lost her sparkle
barf!!

Nancy66 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:48:11

She was quite big at one stage - close to a size 16 I'd say.

However she lost a lot of that before she did Strictly so I guess she can't credit WW with her entire loss.

noddyholder Wed 23-Jan-13 10:50:14

I like her. haven't seen the ad though. But she was the same age as me in teh 90s and now she is younger grin

squeakytoy Wed 23-Jan-13 10:50:19

Close to a 16 is not "quite big".. 18 or 20 maybe, but a 16 for most women of average height and build is perfectly healthy and what should be viewed as normal.

noddyholder Wed 23-Jan-13 10:50:57

A 16 is big for her height

Lambzig Wed 23-Jan-13 10:53:02

Yes, yes, Patsy Kensit was older than me once and now she is younger. Same with Kylie. I need to age in celeb years too.

Nancy66 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:01:00

Size 16 is big for someone like her who's always been skinny, works in the entertainment industry and relies on her looks for work.

SweetSeraphim Wed 23-Jan-13 11:05:19

I hate this shit. It's no wonder young girls develop eating disorders hmm

There is NO perfect. Who gives a fuck how 'big' she was/is? Getting big at a 16? Really??

Nancy66 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:14:13

it's a thread about WW and the celebrity figurehead for it - so discussing her weight is appropriate.

Dress size and what constitues 'big' is always going to be a contentious issue.

tedsmam Wed 23-Jan-13 11:29:48

I met Ms Kensit at a work thing years ago -
the deal was she turned up, drank a glass of two of free champagne, ate some free food, wore something we gave her for free for two minutes, had her pic taken, went home.

She was late, complained that she didn't like what she had to wear for us (but took it home anyway) and extremely rude and obnoxious to the waitresses, my colleagues and me.

These things tend to stay with you .......

she was covered in dog hairs too.

But she wasn't fat then or since - size 16 aint fat.

hannah they may have been normal looking to you but you have no idea what journey each of those people have been on. some if them could have been over 20st at some point and doing ww for years! most still need the support even when they reach goal weight.

also to the person that said ww was slow... yes its slow, because that is the healthy way to lose weight. with ww they tell you that 2lbs a week is healthy. anything more than that and your body cant cope. more often than not, with things like LL, you will get other health problems. heart problems and blood pressure are common bacause your body just cant cope with the dramatic changes.

also ww isnt a diet. its a lifestyle change. it actually teaches you about the food you are putting in your body. you dont get told what you can and cant eat. that choice is down to the individual.

and there is no way she's dropped 3 dress sizes with only a stone. a stone is around 1 dress size (depending on the person)

*just want to point out that i do not work for ww... but i do do it grin

noddyholder Wed 23-Jan-13 13:21:17

I think it depends on what shape you are. If I lose just 5 or 6 lbs I drop a size at least

cerealqueen Wed 23-Jan-13 15:29:37

shesariver Ditto! And every musicuan she married, their bands went into the ether. Some kind of weird power!

ButternutSquish Wed 23-Jan-13 15:36:23

Agree that a slow change in weight is good. It gives your body and mind a chance to get used to a new way of eating a healthier diet, with portion control. I've lost 125lbs over exactly 24 months (so 1.2lbs a week on average) and I'm still coming to terms with the fact I'm a much smaller size than I used to be.

I was pretty shocked to hear her say she'd dropped 3 dress sizes because I've only dropped 6! And now I hear she's lost a stone I'm even more shocked!

Darkesteyes Wed 23-Jan-13 15:43:22

It was me who said WW came out as the slowest diet in a test that Easy Living have done. But i agree that isnt a bad thing.
In 2002/2003 i was attending Slimming World and losing a stone a month. (a stone a month for seven months) and it took a year to lose the final three.
I became very ill due to the rapid weight loss. I developed gallstones and spent a lot of time in excruciating pain. I was in and out of hospital and the pain was so bad the duty doctor would have to come out and give me morphine injections.
It WASNT caused by eating fatty foods because i was dieting it was caused by eating solid food.
I lived on water biscuits and v.small amounts of fish while waiting for the operation.
I got a letter from the hospital telling me i would have to wait for a year. But after yet another admission the surgoen told me he would operate on me in the next six weeks. Five weeks later i was on the operating table.
The surgeon told me the gall bladder disease had very likely happened because id lost the weight too quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now