no heating no help

(264 Posts)
baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 13:04:21

hi, my boiler blew up on Friday night i called emergency team out

thekidsrule Tue 22-Jan-13 20:03:52

christ cant believe the kicking op is getting

renting either council/ha/private entitles the tenant to have these things mended if broken (so does anybody disagree with that ? )

basic heat etc is to be expected these days,we used to hand wash everything and use a mangel but i would no way want to do that

the list is endless

i think any tenant with young children and elderly or severley disabled should have priority with heating (i dont think emergency accomodation though)

and yes my heating went last week and cost me £180,i own my house and know thats my responsilbility,if i RENTED my rent would cover this so yes the lanlord should dam well fix it

hope you get this fixed asap op it's miserable to be in this positon with the current weather

Ooh, MP is not a bad idea.

thekidsrule Tue 22-Jan-13 20:08:03

oh and im in the south op if i can be of any help pm me

SwitchedtoEatingCheese Tue 22-Jan-13 20:08:15

Op where do you live? You would be more than welcome to come to my house for a shower or bath.

SwitchedtoEatingCheese Tue 22-Jan-13 20:09:12

I'm in Scotland if you don't want to post your location. Pm me if I can help

dikkertjedap Tue 22-Jan-13 20:11:18

It is really horrible to be without heating and hot water with this weather, whatever some people say.

My tips:
- be careful with using the fan heater as they use lots of electricity
- definitely get some how water bottles (1 or 2 for each bed) and put them in in advance so they warm up
- wear lots of layers, also in bed
- make sure you are already warm before you go to bed (if necessary dance all together before going to bed)
- I would all sleep in the same room and have the fan heater at a very low setting
- during the day: lots of layers and if possible go to the library/swimming pool (have shower there and dry hair there as well)/cafe/cinema etc - spend there as long as possible, take some things to keep you occupied if necessary.

Probably best to spend as little time as possible at home. I really hope they can fix it on Friday.

Good luck.

MammytoM Tue 22-Jan-13 20:17:17

Wow few rattled cages here! Nice to see so much sympathy for this lady and her family shock. OP - ignore the snide remarks and remember that people who get on high horses tend to fall off smile. Let's hope their heating never breaks down eh!
But also some helpful advice smile. It's not nice for anyone to be cold in this weather regardless of whether they are in a council house or not. I used to live in a house which was so cold there was ice on inside of the windows - I sympathise OP! Hope it gets sorted soon.

amistillsexy Tue 22-Jan-13 20:18:27

Op, my boiler was condemned just before Christmas. We were without heat or hot water for a freezing cold week.

My son has ASD as well, so I know what you mean about him finding it hard. People don't understand that the anxiety levels are constant. There is no let up. It is not just that he 'doesn't like' change, he cannot stand it. Even changes my DS wants, and likes (like snow!) cause him to be constantly unsettl;ed and on edge. It is exhausting to live with.

During our 'Big Freeze' week, we bought lots of hot water bottles (I spent all day with one tucked down the waistband of my jeans, warming my back. Bliss!), and used the fan heaters they gave us to heat the room(s) we were using at the time. They do heat a space quickly. It's important to remember to keep doors shut as much as you can to keep the heat in.

I hope they fix your boiler soon, OP. And I hope a few of the others on this thread one day take the time to really try and understand what living with autism is like, and learn some compassion sad.

happynewmind Tue 22-Jan-13 20:18:49

Wow

Yes in he olden years we didn't have heating and running hot water but most people in UK do now and OP is not unreasonable to be fed up.

Yes the temp accommodation was a bit much but it's freezing cold, snow on the ground and she just sounds fed up and stressed! Also fan heaters are very expensive to run.

OP hope your sorted soon.
When we had no heating kids slept with me so we only had to heat one room.

ShellyBoobs Tue 22-Jan-13 20:32:04

Hope you get it sorted soon, OP.

fluffypillow Tue 22-Jan-13 20:36:11

Not a nice situation to be in at this time of year. Make sure you keep feet and heads warm, they are the most important parts, and this will help alot.

I hope it won't be too much longer.

grobagsforever Tue 22-Jan-13 20:44:26

Do NOT leave a fan heater on at night op. Poster who suggested this is deranged. This is extremely dangerous. Jeezz

EricNorthmansFangBanger Tue 22-Jan-13 20:47:05

Jesus Korma, that wasn't very nice was it?

OP, sorry to hear about the heating/hot water. Our boiler is on the blink and has been that way for a while. We had a boiler repair man come out not long after it first happened and it stopped doing the error sign the morning he came. He serviced it instead and was saying that the temperature sensor was on its last legs and would need replacing soon but he wouldn't do it right then hmm. It started doing the error thing again about a week later and we've had to work around it for the moment as we are skint right now. So we will put it on every now and again and the error thing is still happening but the house gets so cold at times that we have to put the heating on. It's amazing that when we rang the original boiler man back and told him we wanted the part replacing he said he'd be in touch, yet didn't bother. Then again when I rang him last week he said he would ring on Friday and he didn't. I'm assuming he doesn't want the work now as it's twice he's not bothered to get back to us. I need to get some other repair people out now to quote us for the work and hopefully we can fix the problem in the next fortnight or so.

I don't really know how HA/council do things with regards to repairs so I can't help you there sorry. I do hope you manage to get it fixed very soon and like others have said, there should be a timescale for this type of thing. Ring daily if you can to try get them to chivvy along.

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:02:42

im in Bromley Kent, thank you

well as they say what comes around goes around!!!

the thing with my autistic child is he cant handle change in his daily routine, he used to having a bath a 6pm every night. like having dinner at 5pm so yes thats the difficult part.

all i wanted serious was some advice but hay there are some nasty people out there. people just love to judge.

Do you really think it is unreasonable to wait a week for it to be fixed ?
One week. For a free repair. In subsidised housing.

I just don't think it is at all. And the reference to temp accommodation really seems OTT

The fact is I, like many have no heating or hot water and have t had for a long time. I'm also disabled now with a condition that is exacerbated by cold

Except I have no one to demand fix it, or replace it or move me somewhere warm

So it somewhat annoying when others moan about a few days in the cold
And to the person who called me a fuckwit - fuck off eh ?

Yes the bath would be a problem with us as well. In your situation I would put a puddle in the bath (warmish) - straight in and straight out so you've done the bath bit - or at least gone through the 'right' motions. It might reduce his anxiety?

If ds1 didn't have his morning bath the rest of the day wouldn't happen so I would actually go through the motions in any way possible (even if it was a tiny puddle and in and out, or even a 2 second dip in freezing water) to allow the rest of the day to happen.

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:13:48

yeah your judging me because i live in a council house, i still pay council tax i still pay rent i still pay for things fir these things to get fixed the only benefit i get is carers allowance and DLA for my CHILD. im not choosing to live like this i have to think of my children or i would be call an unfit mother

crashdoll Tue 22-Jan-13 21:17:25

To be fair to Korma while I do not agree with all she's said, she is not judging you for where you live. She's judging you for having OTT expectations of the council.

However, I appreciate it must be horrible in this cold weather with young children and hope some of the suggestions made on this thread are helpful.

AmberLeaf Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:23

It isnt an OTT expectation though and Korma sounds like she is just jealous because she hasnt got a landlord to fix her boiler!

Council house envy is pathetic.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:28

So sell your house Korma and privately rent.....then you too can rely on a LL yo do repairs. Fact is you do at least have an option....the OP doesnt.

Unless you have a child with autism you have no idea what it can be like...and it makes you desperate.

And if you dont like being called a "fuckwit" perhaps think about being less spiteful when you post and I will be less quick to judge you.

No I'm not judging you for living in council housing, not at all
And I haven't mentioned benefits whatsoever so not sure why you are putting words into my mouth
I understand that you worry for your children - I do too
I've got a child at home that I'm trying to keep warm

My issue was with the OTT response to having to wait a week, seven days or less to get it fixed. Especially when it is a free repair that you don't have to worry about funding. And the temp accom thing really irked me - you would seriously move somewhere else for the sake of a few days ?

Lol not jealous amber - I have a nice house in a nice place thank you very much
It's just really annoying to hear people whining over well, nothing

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 22-Jan-13 21:25:44

My heating has been playing up since Xmas eve. Some days it comes on, some days it doesn't

I'm bank of the list working for a heating company and my dad bring a heating engineer!

Seriously. Everyone us having to wait. Friday & Monday the engineers couldn't get anywhere in the snow. Parts are taking time to come through. There is always a backlog this time of year. Regular customers are having to wait up to a week for parts to arrive

You just have to be patient.

It happened to us one time, we camped out in one room and heated that one and watched a lot of TV. My boss let me hang out on my day off (I was a nanny) and shower there, do you have friends or family you can go visit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now