no heating no help

(264 Posts)
baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 13:04:21

hi, my boiler blew up on Friday night i called emergency team out

50shadesofpink Tue 22-Jan-13 18:45:13

Hi, first of all I do sympathise as we had this problem just a couple if weeks ago, but we are owner occupiers and had to call out an engineer and had to wait a week and a half without heating.

In the meantime I went and purchased two fan heaters which although not as good as the heating system did help, a lot. Mind is also a three bedroom house and I have a 5 year old DD, who I wrapped up warm i.e fleece hoodie, 2 pairs of socks etc.

We have also had to boil water in the past to have a bath etc whilst waiting for it to be fixed - just one of those things. Unfortunately don't think there is anyway for you to speed up the process.

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:45:13

im sorry i only wanted some advice really. and thank you too. my 5 year old is registered disabled and he is at school part time. i am a council tennent am i am on benefits as im my childs carer. yes he does get DLA. i only wanted to no my rights really didn't want people to dig me out. we had lots of snow the weekend but thankyou to some of the kind people

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 18:48:24

Oh uoi poor woman.....Ive been there too with no hot water or heating. Once in own home ( took days and days to sort out even though we were paying) ), once in private rented (took weeks thanks to tight git LL). Am now in a HA housr and although it toom two weeks to sort it theu did leave heaters.
Like you I have an autistic child so spent ages explaining things to him. Not easy in that situation I know.

BacardiNCoke Tue 22-Jan-13 18:49:49

Blimey that's quite bad on the council's part. Whenever we've had problems with our boiler (at one point last summer we woke up to find the entire downstairs had been flooded by the boiler shock) our HA has been really quick about fixing the problem. Even when a part has been needed, it's been fixed within 24 hours.

I'd get back on to them, keep ringing and annoy them till they get someone out.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 18:52:58

Nobody should be getting at you...its hard enough with autism. I so hope this gets sorted on Friday as promised. Do you have relatives nearby who xould let you use their bath? Again I know this isnt straightforward with an autistic child but might help.
Can only echo the advice above about heating one main area....on really cold nights I used to tuck DS in bed with me.

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:53:18

im not so worried about myself tbh, its my 2 children esp my youngest as i explained he has autism so its so hard to explain and it stresses us both out. guess i just have to wait x

Kormachameleon Tue 22-Jan-13 18:56:58

<<<sits on hands>>>
Aargh it's no good I can't keep quiet

So your autistic son can't handle not having heating or hot water but will handle moving to temporary accommodation ?

I've had no heating or hot water for the best part of 12 months - guess what ? Nothing happened apart from us getting cold

How fucking entitled do you have to be to expect to be moved to temporary accommodation because you've had no Heating for a few days shock

If you were a homeowner it would be tough shit unless you can afford to fix/replace it out of your own pocket, so you already have the advantage there

Suck it up

That's a total pain in the arse. Follow the advice if usual. I used to work in the repairs dept for a HA and of a part is needed then it may take that long. However, I would call again and ask if they are waiting for a part. I know private contractors can magic them up hmm but generally council contractors ate bound to certain suppliers and can't get it from any Tom, dick or Harry.

I would suggest speaking to them again though, politely btw, and seeing if someone can be out sooner, if you're not waiting in a part then maybe they can fit you in with a cancellation.

It's nor the end of the world but it does suck.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 18:59:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:33

That was to korma

Excuse the typos, fat fingers and being jumped on by toddler.

usualsuspect Tue 22-Jan-13 19:05:07

You don't have to suck it up at all,You are entitled to a warm house.

usualsuspect Tue 22-Jan-13 19:08:29

You only have to mention that you live in social housing on here to start the frothers off.

mangohedgehog Tue 22-Jan-13 19:08:39

Korma judgy much???

Nobody should have to go without heating and hot water at this time of year, in this country. And as for anyone who says 'how do you think they managed in the past' - they had open fires, that's how!!!

I sympathise, can you get advice from Cit Advice or Shelter to get them to put some pressure on your landlord?

K2ZJH Tue 22-Jan-13 19:08:59

where do you live(private message if you want) I have an extra fan heater and an oil radiator you can lend if you want.

im sure people will have some sympathy and maybe more heaters smile

hope you get it sorted soon

Blimey I really feel for you. Our condensation pipe has twice frozen this cold snap and it is crap.

Can you go and use a relatives bathroom for a nice bath or go to the local pool? Or do you have friends or relatives who can put you up for a couple of days?

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:13:35

you try bringing a disabled child up and you no something else i did work until my child was diagnosed with autism. i didnt ask for my child to have this disability angry

LynetteScavo Tue 22-Jan-13 19:13:41

I agree to keep phoning. Nothing worse than someone forgetting you!

cumfy Tue 22-Jan-13 19:14:15

Kettles are handy for hot water.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 19:14:25

...and Korma can presumably sell her cold house and rent.....then the heating/hot water will be down to a landlord so that she too can be "entitled". Obviously if she CHOOSES not to sell then that's her choice. Sadly the OP doesnt have ANY choice at all.....which is why she needs advice and not smug "entitled" comments from others who DO have options.

Dawndonna Tue 22-Jan-13 19:15:00

Gosh Korma that was really unpleasant.

And if they are waiting for a part ask for another heater. And also ask if you are able to claim back the electric money. We would refund £3 per heater per day that they were needed.

FanFuckingTastic Tue 22-Jan-13 19:17:48

Hey, I feel for you, my DD really doesn't like changes of any sort, something like this would be regular meltdowns.

So, keeping warm. Electric blankets for those grown up enough. Hot water bottles for those not. Try freecycle for some oil radiators, or accept any offers on here.

Ignore the frothers, people just don't understand. I don't see why you are having to wait so long for a fix. I would imagine they could have done more to help warm the house, or speeded up the repair given the circumstances.

Bobyan Tue 22-Jan-13 19:18:05

Korma I'm not often surprised, but that was truly one of the most spiteful posts I have read on MN.

OP its not much help but can you ask for additional heaters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now