To think we do need the fireguard up?

(76 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Mon 21-Jan-13 17:32:11

Because apparently we don't hmm

We have an open fire in our living room, the hearth is brick with thick sandstone slabs laid on top. So it's pretty solid. This is our hearth. We have one of these to go around it to stop DD (19mo) getting to it. But DP always removes it and puts it in another room out of the way because he says it blocks heat getting into the room, it's a pain in the arse for putting stuff on the fire and if we're in the room then DD will be fine. This obviously is bullshit. I was sat no more than 4ft away from her the other day and she hit her head on the hearth. Luckily it wasn't hard enough to cause any damage but it did make her cry and she never cries if she falls etc.

There is also the issue of toys, DD has this ball shooter thingy, a bit like a lawnmower, you push it along and it picks up balls then you press the trigger and it shoots them out. A couple of times the balls have been fired onto the hearth, one day they'll end up in the actual fire! It's just so bloody dangerous with no fireguard there but DP just can't seem to see it! He cares more about staying warm and his convenience than keeping DD and her toys in one piece!

I'm not being unreasonable at all really am I?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 22-Jan-13 12:57:41

Kobay that's not a fire guard that's a spark guard to stop,well sparks landing on the floor.

A very useful bit of kit.

KobayashiMaru Tue 22-Jan-13 13:42:49

It's been known as a fire guard my whole life anyway, and thats what everyone I know calls it!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 14:31:52

Kobyashi we have one of those aswell, we call it a fireguard too smile

I am in Lincolnshire.

snowybrrr Tue 22-Jan-13 14:38:55

YANBU I have a friend who fell on a fire as a child and the fingers in his hand fused together and only the thumb works alone.He has never forgiven hos parents.
I can't see your picture Op , but we have an open coal fire and still use a small fireguard even though the youngest is 6 and I will probably continue to do if anyone is walking about always, because even an adult can trip.When everyone is sitting down watching TV in the evening I might take it down.Also there is the danger of exploding things on the fire like a gassy bit of coal or once we had a watch battery in a bag of coal which exploded hot metal across the room!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 14:39:05

Sorry I didn't mean to post so soon!

Shrinking I am in Lincolnshire, I can't pm as I'm on my phone and I can only reply to pms, if you are anywhere near that would be lovely of you smile

CelticPromise Tue 22-Jan-13 14:41:15

CunnyFunt I got my BabyDan one from eBay, worth a look if shrinking is nowhere near?

shrinkingnora Tue 22-Jan-13 14:42:39

Bugger. Never mind. I am thwarted in my good deed. Hope you get it sorted. Really think your DH is being a bit of a twat.

Floggingmolly Tue 22-Jan-13 14:43:05

That hearth itself is a danger to a toddler charging about, with or without a live fire in the grate. Insist on the fire guard until she's ten

5madthings Tue 22-Jan-13 14:53:21

I am fairly lax when it comes to some 'safety' stuff is drawer licks and stair gates but afire guard is something I would never be lax on, just not worth the risk at all!

We had a coal fire when I was a child and I can still remember the massive fireguard my parents used.

Get your local fire safety officer round or maybe your dh could go on a little trip to a burns unit to give him an insight into what could happen to his daughter.

Goldmandra Tue 22-Jan-13 14:57:19

Fireguards don't look nice and they are a pain to use, especially when you have to keep moving it to put logs or coal on the fire. It's a shame to have to keep using it when it looks and feels so much nicer without it.

On the other hand you have a beautiful DD who is even nicer to have than any fire place. It would take one second, just ONE SECOND, for her to run towards it, trip and end up face down in it. Has your DH even tried to imagine that scenario? His beautiful DD face down in a pile of burning coals? Being in the same room doesn't enable anyone to prevent that unless they are literally sitting next to the fire with their arms out across it.

In a few years your DH will be able to enjoy the fire without the fire guard. Or, alternatively, he could still be looking at his DD's scarred face and regretting the day he put the aesthetics of the room above the safety of his daughter. That's if he was lucky enough to still have a daughter.

DandyDan Tue 22-Jan-13 15:48:06

Use the fireguard. Seriously, virtually all of the heat will come through but your daughter will be safe, which is the most important thing.

We used both a fireguard hooked onto the wall and a sparkguard when our kids were small - once they were over five, we just had the spark-guard but never left them alone in the room with the open fire even so, until they were older still.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Tue 22-Jan-13 16:49:40

yanbu

you have a nice dog.

specialsubject Tue 22-Jan-13 16:56:13

spark and fire guard does dissipate the heat a bit, but:

- so what if it does, with a child in the house? If she falls into it, or a spark hits her clothes, she will be scarred or dead.
- an open fire is 60% less efficient than a stove, so you are wasting lots of heat anyway. Of course you need a guard even with a stove; ok, they can't fall into it but they can trip and fall against it. Put up the guard and all they hit is a cold metal surface.

fireguard UP and fixed until she is about 10. End of.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 17:45:22

Thank you Cream smile he is rather lovely even if I do say so myself wink

Well the fireguard is up, and has stayed up all day confused

<wonders if DP is a secret MN lurker and he hasn't told me>

PessaryPam Tue 22-Jan-13 18:00:42

One more here in the YADNBU camp. Your DP needs to grow up. It only takes a few seconds and then you have a scarred child or worse.

TeaOneSugar Tue 22-Jan-13 18:30:04

The fire aside, my DNiece hit her head on PIL marble hearth and had a nasty cut and a massive lump, and was lucky she didn't catch her eye.

I wouldn't be able to settle without the fire and hearth behind bars.

TheFunPolice Tue 22-Jan-13 22:55:42

Did you watch the last series of 24 hours in a&e with the little girl who was burnt and her father. Search for it and make your DP watch it, then see if he thinks it's too much hassle.

StuntGirl Wed 23-Jan-13 01:48:01

YADNBU and your husband is a bit of a twat if he can't see that.

ArtsMumma Wed 23-Jan-13 07:56:33

YANBU

There is no room for debate on this, you have to insist on the guard being up. Tell him how important it is to you in a very serious way, I mean sit him down and tell him it terrifies you. Let him see how important it is to you and he cannot ignore it. Good Luck!

Hello -not been on for AGEs!! but I wanted to login to tell you what happened to us.

My DH is exactly the same moves the fire guard 2 years ago he did this and then left the room. My then two year old decided to copy daddy and put some newspaper in the fire.

My two year old put a big section of newspaper in and then wandered back to his toys holding the paper, he dropped it and we were very very lucky at the worse damage we had was having to replace the carpet in the front room.

My DH puts the fire guard up now, BUT it could of been much worse.

Aside from that our fire splits out so the guard reduces the fire risk.

Twattybollocks Wed 23-Jan-13 09:10:37

Yanbu. If it wasn't a real flame fire, then corner protectors on the hearth would probably be ok, but with any sort of real flame a fire guard is an absolute must. Even if you are in the room you wouldn't be able to react quick enough to stop serious burns.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Wed 23-Jan-13 11:33:57

Goingup that is terrifying. All of these stories are. Next time he moves I'll have to show him this thread, 3 pages of posters agreeing with me might show him he is being a dick.

EldritchCleavage Wed 23-Jan-13 12:48:48

Can't believe your DH. Practically the first thing my aunt did when she found out I was pregnant was ask my mother if I wanted the nursery fireguard that had done the rounds of the whole family! They are an absolute necessity with small children.

Would he leave knives lying around near DD? Not much different in terms of danger to my mind.

PippinWoo Wed 23-Jan-13 13:13:20

I urge you to get him to watch the episode of 24 Hours In A & E that frogspoon linked to.

If that doesn't convince him of the utter incredible pain and suffering your DD would have to endure if anything happened, then I'd recommend getting rid of the open fire and having a radiator put in, ending the argument once and for all.

PippinWoo Wed 23-Jan-13 13:17:37

In fact if you can find the full episode somewhere, try and see that. I think they are repeating the series on More 4 at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now