to stop playing the National Lottery after the ticket price rises?

(64 Posts)
Tw1nkle Mon 21-Jan-13 15:27:12

I struggle to justify the £18 a month I pay now(2 lines, sat & wed).......so no way will I be able to afford the £36 a month it will go up to in the Autumn!

I think I'm going to stop playing altogether! I know my numbers though - so I'll never be able to watch again!!!

I also never seem to see any of the 'good causes' that they talk about......

I heard one Radio DJ (can't remember what station) saying it's an "Idiots Tax"

grin That's me. Idiot.

tittytittyhanghang Tue 22-Jan-13 22:21:02

YANBU, you spend exactly the same as me, and i was thinking that my dd will double to £36! Spending £18 a month on the lottery seems ok to me, its only £4 a week but for whatever reason £36 seems to be over the line that I think is too much to spend on lottery (this is not financial, I could afford this, but it just doesn't sit right having a dd for £36 for something that is essentially gambling). So ive decided that im going to cancel my dd and look at buying an interest free sofa with the money instead

KoalaTale Tue 22-Jan-13 22:28:27

Yanbu. I do it occasionally, only ever £1. I won't bother anymore if it will be £2, I'm happy to throw a pound away but not two for some reason confused

meddie Tue 22-Jan-13 22:33:24

MITTENS The issue regarding it being a 'tax' is because, there is a larger amount of low income/unemployed people who play it and it constitutes a greater percentage of their income than it does for more affluent people.
Also research into where funding was going found insufficient amounts were being directed to deprived communities even though these areas often had higher rates of play.
So essentially a tax on the poor to fund more middle class pursuits (The Arts,sports.Opera, Heritage. The Olympics etc.
It plays on the desperation of low income earners and offers a glimmer of a hope to escape a life of drudgery, the very people who can ill afford to lose that money each month on a very tiny chance.

meddie Tue 22-Jan-13 22:34:03

of winning

nikcname Tue 22-Jan-13 22:52:28

When I remember I do a lucky dip, maybe 2 sometimes, probably spend £3 a month, sometimes!

So many lotteries, don't really get it,think it might be everyday? £1.50 for a Euro millions (I think) so don't buy, £2 lottery never happening!

I guess the diehards wont give up but casuals will balk at the price.

starmaker7 Wed 23-Jan-13 12:52:53

how else are they going to pay for the £25 for 3 numbers instead of £10 like it is now ,dont see the problem myself unless you dont win very often ;0)

tensmums Fri 22-Feb-13 10:51:19

Having done 3 lines on both the wed & sat draws from week one in 1994 I definitely wont be doubling my stake. If the increase goes ahead I will do the irish lottery instead. Also you can sign a couple of online petitions against the increase if you just google petitions against the lottery increase. ;-)

Borntobeamum Fri 22-Feb-13 11:07:42

They are still making a lot for charity at £1 a line.
They must be!

Trills Fri 22-Feb-13 11:11:29

It s not unreasonable to play the lottery or to not play the lottery.

HTH smile

terrierist Fri 22-Feb-13 12:52:17

Choccy - it's 6 months for claiming

andubelievedthat Fri 22-Feb-13 19:17:54

Oh dear ,and there is the mindset " someone has to win" that so? well what the heck is a rollover ?who won that week ? and in analysis the RB gig would not have raised more money for charity , RB seems like a terribly nice chap but 1st and foremost he is a very astute businessman.the lottery "dream " is just that(imo)

RickVeeves Mon 08-Sep-14 14:08:31

You could always join a syndicate and pay less in stake money and share the big wins with others and hopefulyl win more. Theres a really good one called www.supersyndicate.co.uk that not only does lottery but other kinds of syndicates too.

Andrewofgg Mon 08-Sep-14 14:18:01

It is not a tax. You are buying a bit of fun. If you don't want to buy it when the price goes up, just stop. You'll get by without buying a ticket. Camelot will get by without your two quid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now