To buy a new pushchair for DC3?

(35 Posts)
Kyrptonite Mon 21-Jan-13 09:22:19

I have a petite star zia that goes flat for a newborn. With DC 1 and 2 I used a stroller type pushchair suitable from birth but always felt jealous of people with lovely pram type pushchairs.
We couldn't afford a nice one then but this time I can save up and get one.
Is forward facing that big of a deal? The baby will probably only be in a pushchair for the school run or odd shopping trip so maybe I'm being stupid wanting a nice pushchair!

I'm also a bit nervous about being judged if I go to baby groups with a crap buggy. We live in a naice area and I look stupidly young and don't want people to ignore me because I look like a chavvy mum with a shit pushchair.

I may possibly be overthinking this a tad. Can I blame hormones?!

OlivetheotherReindeer Mon 21-Jan-13 16:18:17

Ooh go for it, if you can. Don't bother with an iCandy though, the basket is Unreachable when the cot is on the frame and its stupidly heavy and marked so easily, your expensive pram will look v cheap and well used in no time.

Idratherbeknitting Mon 21-Jan-13 16:08:37

Do it!

It was the great buggy debate that got me MNetting!
My parents gave me the money to 'get one of those fancy buggy systems' when I was expecting DC4. A total suprise, and a super gift, as I'd not have been able to get one otherwise. I went for an Babystyle Oyster in the end, which I don't think is very top-end. My DS has just grown out of the Carrycot (Pram), and loves the buggy bit now.

Do lots of research... I bought half on ebay second hand (good for the carrycots as you're never quite sure if they'll love it or hate it), and picked the other bits up as cheaply as I could.

Never had a Sophie although my nephews love theirs (now my sister IS a buggy snob...)

If you really want to do it!

I did, I always wanted a bugaboo as they're nice to push and have a big carrycot so I sold dd2s pram and picked up a 2nd hand frog and I adore it, so its not brand new but dp cleaned it up for me and it may as well be!

Sophie was a huge hit here too, dd dug her out for dd2 last week.

specialsubject Mon 21-Jan-13 15:29:29

judged for your pushchair? WTF? Do women who think like this really exist? If so, are there men so desperate as to have sex with them so that they breed?

if you fancy a posh piece of baby transport, and the cash will not have a better use elsewhere, go for it. Ebay is full of them, what would be daft is to buy new when they go for peanuts second hand. Exactly because of some of the attitudes that you describe.

PriscillaLydiaSellon Mon 21-Jan-13 15:24:47

There is much social status to be gained from having a crap old pram. Ditto crap car and crap phone. Take it from an expert. grin

valiumredhead Mon 21-Jan-13 14:57:59

I agree with Pricsilla I have worked as a nanny in some very 'posh' households and the majority all of the prams were second hand or really old and tatty.

I was happy using the pram I already had for dd2, but wanted a nicer buggy, rather than the chicco one I borrowed long term off my mum. I had it for a year, until dp tripped and fell on it when the wheel got stuck in a hole by the kerbside. He squashed it flat, it wasn't worth repairing, and I'm back with the chicco....

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 21-Jan-13 14:43:14

Get something lovely and enjoy it!

NaturalBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 14:41:50

I really wanted a new buggy for ds3 but had 3 under 3's and a double buggy already, and my old travel system. I bought a vair nice stroller to use with ds2 for a bit before baby arrived and then for ds3, so it's been worth it.

Casualty Mon 21-Jan-13 14:22:50

Its worth thinking about the size of the basket with 2 other DCs if you have book bags, lunch boxes, water bottles etc to carry around.

And DS face lit up everytime he saw his Sophie, it temporarily lost its squeak after I put it in the cold water steriliser though.

seoladair Mon 21-Jan-13 14:01:25

I really don't think you should care what other mums at the baby group think. However, if that kind of thing matters to you, why not get a second-hand Silver Cross vintage coach built pram? That'll put the pram snobs back in their boxes.

(They're not very practical for travelling, but you could get a cheap pushchair for buses and trains.)

mrswoz Mon 21-Jan-13 13:11:05

Get yourself a nice pram. I did on dc3, which I knew would be my last baby - saved up (was able to do this as I didn't have to buy much new baby stuff, had most of it already) and bought the one I really wanted, when it was on a really good offer. Now I enjoy using it every day. Had a very ordinary one first time round, and then a double costing £10 second time. I don't regret it smile

And yes we quite like Sophie giraffe!

MrsCR Mon 21-Jan-13 11:35:35

it will be one of your few pleasures in those sleep deprived early days to be able to use the pushchair of your dreams everyday, and you can always sell it on after and make some money back

do it do it! YANBU!

scrivette Mon 21-Jan-13 10:17:29

I wouldn't have paid for Sophie but DS enjoyed chewing the one he got as a present for a few months.

newNN Mon 21-Jan-13 10:12:21

I think that if you really want it and can afford it this time around, then you should have it. I think you'll regret it if you don't.

Kyrptonite Mon 21-Jan-13 10:11:08

I might do a bit of fannying about. DS will have just started school (which has solved my dilemma about half days and pick ups for first few weeks as ill be on mat leave) and DD will be at nursery 3 days.

The giraffe has gone down well with everyone I know. I de-squeaked it by putting it in tge microwave steriliser.

eggsy11 Mon 21-Jan-13 10:08:21

I had a mamas and papas sola. Didn't seem expensive at first but by the time you have a carrycot etc it came to well over £500. I felt so posh pushing it to the baby groups.

Until when DS was 6months I got given a skinny cosatto yo! it was amazing! being able to fold it up was great, rather than having the sola in the hallway and squeezing past. I would never spend that much on a pram again! I do get pram envy, as i'd love a posh one, but I;d buy a second hand one so that I can chuck it /sell it when the DC was 6months. Plus if you have other DC, i assume you won't be fannying around having coffee/going to baby groups like first times mums (well not as much anyway!)

OhTheConfusion Mon 21-Jan-13 10:06:22

Firstly do not worry about what others think... I had a thread last week about judgy parents, I am now avoiding!

DD loves sophie the overpriced giraffe... her squeak drives me mad.

If you are going to spend a small fortune on a pram make sure it is one that suits your lifestyle. I have a Quinny for DD and love it, but DD is also quite small for her age so got a whole winter out of pram part and she will easily fit in pushchair for a while yet. The trouble is it is big, takes up space to store at home etc. Great for pushing and built to last.

3monkeys3 Mon 21-Jan-13 10:04:01

I do think that a nice buggy is a good investment, but would probably spend less if I could have my time again (am guilty owner if both a cameleon and a donkey....). If I didn't need a double I would probably get the bugaboo bee. Personally I think forward facing is a huge perk - I have always put my dc forward facing in buggies where I've had the option to. So I suppose what I am saying is that yanbu to want a nice, forward facing buggy but you don't need to go mad to get something lovely.

DoItToJulia Mon 21-Jan-13 10:01:17

I don't have one, bt everyone I know has a Sophie for their lo!

SkinnybitchWannabe Mon 21-Jan-13 09:53:13

I used the same travel system pram for ds2 and 3. I didnt give a stuff what people thought..tbh it still looked as good as new and my dp bought it because they knew I loved it (surprised me with it when I was pregnant with ds2..arhhhh).
I agree about the chavvy comments, certainly true around my area!

Kyrptonite Mon 21-Jan-13 09:52:47

I think I might see what eBay prices are like. I don't want anything overly fancy just one that faces me and is nice to push. Last time we were on benefits and so everything was done second hand or cheap and crappy. I will probably still get some second hand bits but I want to do this right this time round (if that makes any sense whatsoever!).

On a completely unrelated note is Sophie the overpriced giraffe any good?!

LittleChimneyDroppings Mon 21-Jan-13 09:51:08

I'd get one if you want it for you, but dont get it to impress anyone else. Anyone who looks at that stuff and thinks its important isn't worth bothering about. I'd get a second hand one though, don't waste your money on a new one.

purrpurr Mon 21-Jan-13 09:43:48

If you want one, and can save up without anyone being deprived of anything else similarly nice (i.e. a good haircut, a nice outfit) then bloomin well get one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now