to not be surprised that fee paying

(36 Posts)
city1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 09:10:06

Preschool is open but school is closed. Both have fairly local staff and are affected by same weather conditions.

Pagwatch Mon 21-Jan-13 13:33:32

DDs private/independent school is open
Ds2s state school is shut.

I think most of the assumptions about why schools are open or shut are personal prejudice and/or bollocks.

wordfactory Mon 21-Jan-13 13:39:00

I must admit that I simply do not understand why the state schools are all shut locally.

It didn't snow overnight and the roads are clear. Obviously some may have boiler problems etc but I don't think all.

A lot of those parents are, I think justifiably, pissed off.

the indie school where DH teaches is open when many of the state schools are closed. But it is part boarding so has to open for the boarders regardless of the weather.

Dawndonna Mon 21-Jan-13 13:42:12

Independent school here is closed.

NoThankYouToSideSalad Mon 21-Jan-13 13:42:32

Local state primary schools: open.
Local state secondary schools (on the same road as two of the aforesaid primary schools): shut.
Private primary school: shut
Private secondary: open

Roads are clear; public transport is running. Depending on the school, there are a lot of unhappy children or pissed off parents.

ReallyTired Mon 21-Jan-13 13:49:47

I feel that closing a school because of a bit of snow is teaching the children a poor work ethic.

Thankfully my children's school is open.

eatyourveg Mon 21-Jan-13 13:51:11

one ds at a private secondary which is open, one ds at a state secondary which is shut. All the other state secondaries around here are open except his! No logic at all.

LittleChimneyDroppings Mon 21-Jan-13 13:55:28

Private schools round here are open. Many state ones shut. For children who cant get into the private school, it is marked down as an authorised absence.

wordfactory Mon 21-Jan-13 13:58:47

eatyourveg I think the lack of logic is what people find exasperating.

Obviously schools have individual circumstances that may affect them, but then the parents should be informed.

I was listening to a local radio station earlier and parents were furious. There really is no reason for them to shut or if there is these parents should be told. A one liner on the website would do it....' Apologies for any inconvenience but our boiler is broken' ...hardly beyond the wit of man.

wordfactory Mon 21-Jan-13 14:00:34

I also think that any schools that are open should make it clear that parents will have the ultimate say on what is safe for their own DC.

So calling the school to say the journey is too risky should not be greeted by rude receptionists as per another thread!

city1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:25:57

Just found out all the other state schools are open too. So probably just a poor decision by head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now