AIBU to not understand why Brits who emigrate to hotter climates

(122 Posts)
sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 08:56:56

feel the need to go on about how hot it is where they live compared to Britain.

It's like stating the obvious, I feel like saying, you moved to Dubai of course it's hotter than the UK which is covered in snow. But so many Ex pats seem to feel the need to almost brag about the bloody hot weather when the move. Yawn!

Disclaimer: I have lived in hot countries for part of my childhood and again as an adult so I know the pros and cons of living in the sun and so am not remotely jealous.

MidniteScribbler Mon 21-Jan-13 10:20:08

Can I add in my Brit neighbours. Keep knocking on my door asking when the weather is going to change. It's summer your numbnuts. Didn't you think to look up the temperature chart before choosing where to live? Yes it's hot. Yes, the garden is dead. That's what happens in summer here. No, it's not my problem that no one told you it's actually too hot to use your pool in the middle of the day without turning yourself in to a lobster. Yes, sunburn hurts. That's why we all sensibly stay in our airconditioned houses and offices in the hottest parts of the day.

And when I try and be neighbourly and tell them that a bushfire is only ten minutes away and it's time to put their bushfire survival plan in to place and GTFO (Get the Fuck Out!) they smile and say "oh we don't have one of those, we'll just wait for the firefighters to come and tell us what to do." Fucking fuckwits. The CFA have enough to do without playing chauffeur to bloody idiots who have been ignoring the months of television, radio, letter box drops, door to door visits, town meetings and billboards telling you to get fire ready!

BadLad Mon 21-Jan-13 10:20:28

I usually go somewhere warm for christmas, and love making comments like that. Usually with the next line that I hope all my friends in the UK are freezing their nads off. Unfriend the culprit if it bothers you.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 10:21:25

differentnametothis

Hopefully my last post will clear up my point of view.

But to be clear, posting you are on the beach is obviously not bragging. Good grief, why can't some people see the difference.

RingoBaa Mon 21-Jan-13 10:21:59

I have a friend in Australia who does this. Really doesn't bother me though. Lots of people brag on Facebook.

Obviously I'm typing this having cleaned the whole house, knitted gloves for the kids out of cat hair, baked 17 cakes and finished building the Taj Mahal out of Lego.

LoopsInHoops Mon 21-Jan-13 10:24:08

We can't see the difference because you have failed to give us any examples until your penultimate post.

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Mon 21-Jan-13 10:28:56

I understand what you are saying Sock

IMO There are 3 types of posts on these things:
1. Innocent and honest sharing
2. Bragging and/or snipping
3. self-affirmation to convince one's self and one's friends that one is happy

I have a FB friend in Finland and whenever I comment or post about the snow she immediately jumps in with "That's nothing, barely a sprinkle" or "school here never close" or whatever. It is not longer amusing me. I'm not going to say "Well we'd had some so, although not as much as in Finland of course" everytime I share hmm

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 10:39:56

Yes exactly Dances

WowOoo Mon 21-Jan-13 10:54:53

Dances, I like that. It makes a lot of sense.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 10:56:24

Loops

I thought I made it clear from the start. You immediately thought I was jealous even though I said a few times that I was brought up abroad in a hot climate so I certainly know what it's like to live in a hot country and wouldn't want to live in one again.

gotthemoononastick Mon 21-Jan-13 11:03:15

A hot sunny climate is very overrated ,draining and ageing!!Snow and robins also not much fun after day one as I very well now know!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 21-Jan-13 12:47:18

I just don't think loops gets it.

prawns! grin I was going to say that earlier but didn't think anyone would know what i was talking about.

What is that name for when people make a choice and try to convince themselves its the right choice but saying that everyone not choosing the same is wrong. You know, it can be about how to raise babies, where to live or whatever. Someone on here knew the name for it once.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 12:56:30

Cognitive dissonance? off the top of my head. hmm

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 21-Jan-13 13:26:32

Is that right? Can't tell because you're doing a sarky face confused

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 21-Jan-13 13:35:13

There was a good example of it the other day, a poster was trying to convince everyone that butter is evil, not necessary and can't be part of a healthy diet (although apparently mars bars can), turned out that the reason for this was because she is intolerant to dairy.

(not intolerant if its in mars bars though)

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 21-Jan-13 13:37:02

grin fuckadoodle - I didn't care whether anyone got it, I just couldn't resist it!

SaraBellumHertz Mon 21-Jan-13 13:37:35

I posted a temp related status update on Friday night re how cold it was whilst camping in the desert.

Ski coats and uggs are quite unusual in my neck of the woods but if any of my friends want to take that as being smug that we're doing the whole "outdoorsy" thing at this time of year than they can bugger off - my photo of my DCs cold breath in the middle of one of the largest stretches of desert in the world beats the "when will tesco deliver my shopping it's only snow" updates!

Narked Mon 21-Jan-13 13:42:27

We use different scales to exaggerate our weather. It's -2 or it's in the 80s. It's cultural grin.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 13:44:52

Fuckadoodle Sorry I didn't mean that face, it was more of a I'm not sure if I'm right face!

The Original The link was very funny grin

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 13:47:36

SaraBellum
That sounds great and I certainly would not think you were being smug.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 13:48:19

fguckadoodle

I didn't see the butter post but that is funny.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 21-Jan-13 13:50:51

Oh ok. Im relieved. I thought you were calling me a twat grin

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 13:53:32

I found this under Cognitive dissonance

Free-choice paradigm
In a different type of experiment conducted by Jack Brehm, 225 female students rated a series of common appliances and were then allowed to choose one of two appliances to take home as a gift. A second round of ratings showed that the participants increased their ratings of the item they chose, and lowered their ratings of the rejected item.[13]

So basically, once people choose to do something or buy something they like to put down other choices and big up their own. They need confirmation they made the right choice.

sockmuppet Mon 21-Jan-13 13:55:14

Fuckadoodlepoopooo

No, I definitely wasn't grin I just wasn't sure whether I had found the right expression but knew what you meant.

Labootin Mon 21-Jan-13 13:56:03

I only mention extremes of weather on FB ie last summer when it hit 56 degrees and we fried an egg on the pavement.

I like seeing snow pictures, i have a teeny twinge of missing England ...my children were in the pool earlier and now are in T shirts running around outside. I didn't feel the need to comment as it's pretty much usual.

OP perhaps you need a nice cold glass of something .. You could utilise the snow as a chiller and post a picture.

Thumbwitch Mon 21-Jan-13 14:01:42

Hmm. I was all ready to jump down your throat because, quite frankly, I am sick to bloody death of the 40+ temps out in Australia and the bush fires and the humidity, which neither I nor my 13wo baby are at all happy in - but then I realised you were actually talking about a small subset of smuggers who do seem to think it's all rather wonderful.

Numerous updates on FB this week from others, expats and native Aussies, whinging about the temps (me included) - and one weirdo saying how wonderful it is to be 43 degrees and they've spent all day in the pool/on the beach. Well bully for her! I can't step outside in that sort of temp without frazzling, sunscreen or no, and so my "outdoors lifestyle" is severely curtailed by the weather extremes.

So on balance - YANBU. But I wouldn't limit it to Brits who emigrate out here. ANYone, including the sodding weather presenters on TV, who bangs on about how wonderful it is to be out in this weather needs their head read, IMextremelypissedoffandoverheatedO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now