to really enjoy picking the skin around my fingers, oh nom nom

(69 Posts)
discorabbit Sun 20-Jan-13 22:41:48

it's really quite fun

bedmonster Sun 20-Jan-13 22:43:45

YABU if the nom nom bit means you are eating it [shocked]

CrapBag Sun 20-Jan-13 22:43:47

I have this habit. I didn't even know until MN that there is a proper term for it. If there is a loose bit, then it is asking to be picked. But I don't eat it, thats gross. smile

pingu2209 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:44:11

If you keep eating the skin around your fingers you will eventually dissappear up your own bum

OhHowILoveMyPuppies Sun 20-Jan-13 22:45:14

Me too. I go through stages of not doing it for a while and my hands look lovely, then all of a sudden, I just HAVE to start on them again. There's just something about picking at scabs...eughhhh!

Ooh yes, I'm with you ... pick pick pick ... drives DP mad ha ha!

TheSamling Sun 20-Jan-13 22:47:46

Ha, why waste time picking at the skin when you can just nibble it off?!! ESP after a bath when the skin is swollen and easier to bite. Is fab! (rabid cannibal emoticon)

myhandslooksoold Sun 20-Jan-13 22:48:32

I also do this. It makes me miserable because I can't stop it and often I do it until it hurts and bleeds. It looks awful. I wish I could control myself.

CrapBag Sun 20-Jan-13 22:51:57

I like it when it starts bleeding.

<backs out slowly>

WeAreSix Sun 20-Jan-13 22:57:37

So I'm not the only one?

I pick the side of my thumb without even realising it. Then it bleeds, gets sore, heals and repeat ad infinitum!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Jan-13 23:07:14

shock at you all. So so so U.

Ahh you're a bogging bunch!

GaryBarlowsPants Sun 20-Jan-13 23:12:24

YANBU for picking, but eating? YABU!
Agree with wearesix and my handslooksoold I wish I could stop myself, but I really can't. Does anyone else pick more when they're anxious/upset?

Cakethrow Sun 20-Jan-13 23:13:17

Seeing as we're confessing here: I also pick and bite the skin on my fingers.
I hate the way my hands look because of it but it's too satisfying to stop.

Feels good to know there are other 'orrible people out there who also do this!

SoleSource Sun 20-Jan-13 23:16:28

Guilty.

pigletmania Sun 20-Jan-13 23:16:51

YANBU very tasty, i started picking skins when i was about 6 and still do it. Lovely feet skin, my dd had some the other day, i was in 7th heaven grin

bedmonster Sun 20-Jan-13 23:19:20

Wait a minute, did I read that right piglet? You eat your dds foot skin? Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

I do this. I hate myself for it, really do, my fingers are constantly sore/bleeding/scabby but I haven't managed to stop doing it yet. There is some weird satisfaction in it.

roastednut Sun 20-Jan-13 23:21:00

I pick/press/poke one side of my thumb til it hurts, mostly when I'm stressed. Can't stop myself and have done it for about 25 years.

Sprite21 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:25:12

Me too! I'm so pleased I'm not the only one. I think it's because the skin is dry and I just can't resist trying to peel it off. It does bleed often though which is embarrassing at times ( trying to hide bloody fingers). It definitely increases with anxiety as well.
I don't eat it though, just spit it off to one side (shock)

SureFineWhatever Sun 20-Jan-13 23:25:22

YANBU. Currently I am enjoying squeezing all the little whiteheads on my upper arms. Very satisfying.

TheSamling Sun 20-Jan-13 23:38:04

Sprite21, go on, put it in your mouth and give it a little chew! Its completely without taste, but has the most satisfying texture! You kind of have to squeeze it with your front teeth to get the most out of it....It's faaaaab! grin

eggsy11 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:39:34

my fingers are soooo sore at the mo from doing this. agree biting is the best tactic! cannibalistic grin . think the cold weather makes them more peely!

surefine best thing ever!!

mrswoz Sun 20-Jan-13 23:40:10

Me too sad thumbs mostly. Gets worse in cold weather like this, agony and very embarrassing. I notice I have been doing it more if stressed, even if I didn't realise something had upset me, my fingers will tell the tale.

I would like to stop doing it before my children think it's ok to do it too! Bizarrely I am paranoid about germs and hand washing so as not to pick up bugs, yet I can't seem to stop nibbling myself (and yes I do most often eat the scraps).

Is there a name for this vile habit? I don't know anyone else in real life who does it.

eggsy11 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:40:16

I hate it when it's a bit flappy, but not enough for me to pick/bite off. pretty much the most irritating thing EVER.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now