Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel worried about my child at school

(158 Posts)
boobymama Sun 20-Jan-13 21:16:18

am i being unreasonable to be so upset on collecting my 4 year old son from school last tuesday,to find that they had let him play out in his trainers morning and afternoon in the snow (-4) and sat all day in SOAKING trainers and socks. Why in the worst conditions we have had for ages, do they have to play outside? Why cant the teachers help the children to dress appropriately? My son developed a fever the next day and was off his food and sick! 5 more parnets have said exactly the same. The head says bring wellies!!!

Salmotrutta Sun 20-Jan-13 23:06:47

Well, in fairness, they did show that being cold did, in fact, make you more susceptible to viruses in a research project a while back.

Haven't worked out how to do iPad links yet but it will be google able I should imagine.

But dress your child properly and it isn't an issue fgs!!

BarredfromhavingStella Sun 20-Jan-13 23:07:51

My 3 year old DD has been wearing snow boots all week & has taken trainers in rucksack to nursery so unsure why you couldn't send your 4 year old with the same? confused (yes she puts them on herself £6.50 from Aldi, pull on ones)

VenusRising Sun 20-Jan-13 23:09:32

Look, I don't care how evolved you think you are from grannies or old wives or whatever, but I was there with my respiratory consultant, and he and my GP agreed it was the wet hair that reduced my immunity to give me pneumonia, so go and teach someone else to suck eggs will ya?

OP hope your little fella is getting better from his fever.

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Jan-13 23:10:08

Op I hope your DS is getting better. Of course you can exacerbate a chill, and reduce your immunity to a virus if you're freezing cold - I got pneumonia from going out with wet hair.

No really you didn't.

Even if you caught a cold after your chill...that would have been because you were already carrying the cold virus...you just weren't showing any symptoms.

No-one unless they are psychic could tell you how you caught the lung infection.

Narked Sun 20-Jan-13 23:11:26

We've had some Very Odd Threads in the past day or two.

seeker Sun 20-Jan-13 23:11:48

Bloody hell, the NHS is in a worse state than I thought it was! Honestly, just think for a moment. What possible connection could there be between having wet hair and having pneumonia?

TheFallenMadonna Sun 20-Jan-13 23:14:05

When I had penumonia, nobody asked me about wet hair...

At my DC's school, childrne have a choice to go out and play in the snow, or stay inside. The playground is divided into an area where snowballs are allowed, and an area where they are not. No child is allowed out in inadequate clothing. That seems sensible to me, merely from a comfort POV.

Salmotrutta Sun 20-Jan-13 23:16:32

Ok, I found a report about the Cardiff University common cold research centre but I can't do links.

They showed that cold noses reduce the ability to fight viral infections.

It was reported back in 2005.

hettie Sun 20-Jan-13 23:18:36

Pneumonia through wet hair.... you made me snort wine up my nose hold my head in my hands and bemoan our collective failure to give a basic scientific education in this country.....

manicbmc Sun 20-Jan-13 23:19:19

So nothing to do with wet hair then?

I believe the research wasn't fully conclusive and everyone in their sample would have had to be totally free of any viruses or other factors to make the research valid to begin with.

Fakebook Sun 20-Jan-13 23:19:33

OP, teach your dc to change his shoes. Problem sorted. My dd is in foundation stage too, but they're not allowed to play in the snow or in sub zero temperatures. They all go into the gym at lunch time if its too cold.

When I was 13 I went and stood outside at night after washing my hair for about an hour waving my hair around so I'd catch a cold because I had ice skating as my chosen Wednesday afternoon activity at school and I hated it.
Guess what? I never bloody got a cold! It's all lies!

ProphetOfDoom Sun 20-Jan-13 23:20:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonderandBlitzen Sun 20-Jan-13 23:20:38

We all need knitted nose warmers.

hettie Sun 20-Jan-13 23:22:07

Mmme, well I did a post-doc at Cardiff and am fairly confident that that research was not about cold causing pneumonia

Aspiemum2 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:22:22

Yes narked, there's been a few that have made me go eh?? I must be getting old!

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Jan-13 23:22:59

SchmaltzingMatilda that's exactly it.

You again, Venus [sigh]

Salmotrutta Sun 20-Jan-13 23:29:12

I never said the research showed that cold caused pneumonia!

Just that they thought their might be a link between cold noses and being more susceptible to viruses.

The epithelium of the nose presumably becomes more accessible to viruses ... Or summat.

Jeez, I was only sayin' ... hmm

Salmotrutta Sun 20-Jan-13 23:30:14

There, not their. Oh the shame.

IsabelleRinging Sun 20-Jan-13 23:32:24

A lowering of body temperature for a prolonged period does indeed reduce the ability of your body to fight an infection. Therefore, if you have been in contact with a virus and you are warm there is more chance that your immune system will readily attack the virus and kill it and you will not succumb to symptoms. However, if your body is fighting to keep warm and you are cold, your bodies resources will not be focused on fighting the virus and it will have more chance of invading your body and causing an infection.

Being cold does not cause a cold, but it can make you more likely to catch one.

Make sure your child has wellies. And what did the rest of the class do?

qualitytoffee Sun 20-Jan-13 23:33:14

Well if booby is reading this, i really hope your son gets better soon xxx

Thats all x

Fakebook did you go to my school? I used to have ice skating as my chosen Wednesday afternoon activity lol!

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 20-Jan-13 23:41:00

He's 4, of course the adults in school will help him put on his stuff. If there are a lot of children who need help and he has to wait instead of instant mummy service, then he may feel that no one is helping him.
But they are.

MerryCouthyMows Sun 20-Jan-13 23:50:17

Pair of Wellies, £1.50 in Home Bargains. There is NO excuse for your DC's not being properly equipped for school.

I do have to say, though, to the naysayers, that my DC's Primary school will not help any DC's with 'self care' skills like zipping up coats, putting on gloves, putting on wellies or snow boots, or changing for PE, unless the have a full statement of SEN for a physical disability.

Which is a PITA if you have a DC with a physical disability that is on SA+. I used to have to go in twice a week to get DS2 changed for PE and back into his uniform, right up until he was halfway through Y2.

So no, not all schools will help. I DO believe the OP on that one, having had experience of a school like that myself.

However, my DS2 has a physical disability that DOES make any fine or gross motor control skills like dressing take longer to acquire, and I have had to find 'cheats' for PE days to enable him to change without my help. He still cannot do up buttons and he is 9yo.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Mon 21-Jan-13 09:21:14

Merry. That is despicable! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now