Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to go to america alone for 4 weeks

(116 Posts)
whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 18:33:52

So, my husband left me a few months ago, after only 5 months of marriage. Horrible situation.

Anyway, I am trying hard to move on and am coping very well duringbthe working week. The weekends are pretty sad and lonely though. I am atteacher and the school hols are the hardest time. Xmas was horrid. 2 whole weeks alone with my sadness! So, even though it is a while away I am already dreading the summer. 6 weeks is an awful lot of time to fill.

I have been thinking of going over to the states for 4 weeks, maybe travelling around a bit and doing something I would never have donew if we were together. However, when I told my parents and some friends my plan they were horrified. They think I am being rash. I am preferring to think of it as being impulsive and enjoying my youth now I am free of cheating ex.

Is it really a stupid idea? Anyone else done this that can offer advice?

Bogeyface Netherlands Mon 21-Jan-13 00:28:59

Discworld, not disworld!

mameulah Mon 21-Jan-13 00:34:58

I am a teacher too and I totally get it. I am married now with a pfb but before my two boys came alone I almost dreaded the holidays. You will have a wonderful time if you go for an adventure. Enjoy every second. And I agree with all the posts that say look for a job overseas. I taught overseas on the international circuit for five years, in three different countries. If you go about it properly you could get a REALLY BIG salary and wonderful experiences. If you personal message me (or whatever it is called) then I can tell you more about how to go about it.

stottie Mon 21-Jan-13 01:18:15

Yes travel around the USA wonderful places to see but please don't do it with Greyhound that would be a nightmare take it from someone who lives here and in the Uk.

sashh Mon 21-Jan-13 03:37:01

Do it.

But try South America as well.

ben5 Mon 21-Jan-13 03:51:43

America is great. I travelled around by 'Greyhound' and yes cheap but an experance:-) I was 18 at the time. I went to Chaigo, toronto, nigra falls, Boston, Cape Cod and New York. Had a great time.
My only concern for you is that you are going to America! I think you should come and visit ll us MN in australia!!! Theres room here for a couple of nights I'm not far from Perth!!

50pcoff Mon 21-Jan-13 04:17:35

I did a trek America tour 25 years ago can't believe the same tour still exists after all this time

www.trekamerica.co.uk/tours/mts.html

They are a lot of driving, but someone else is doing it for you. Highlights for me was sleeping in the open at monument valley, I still have jewellery I bought on the side of the road. You finish in San Francisco so good for more sight seeing

Good luck, in years to come you don't want to look back at the things you could have done, but the things you did.

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 21-Jan-13 05:57:26

Definitely you should go! Good for you for thinking of something special to do for yourself. I'm sorry you have had such a crummy time.

Ps. I'm American and have lived/travelled in a number of places here if you have questions.

whyisthepathsounclear Thu 24-Jan-13 18:47:19

My trek America brochure has arrived! So excited to have a really good lookout it. Had a quick flick and it looks awesome. Choosing my trip's about the only decision I have to make now. I realised at work today that I had already mentally decided I was going to go!

Euphemia France Thu 24-Jan-13 18:49:35

envy

I'll come too in about 12 years, once DD is grown up!

Dysgu Thu 24-Jan-13 19:03:07

That is fabulous - feeling a touch jealous (but then, a scary fact that DD1 is as far away from being the age I was when I did my TrekAmerica as I am past it IYKWIM!!) so if either of us is going to be doing a Trek ten it is much more likely to be her!

So which trip's are you considering? I did the coast to coast from NYC to SF via via the south.

Highlights - pouring with rain on the first night so, instead of going to the designated campsite, our driver booked us a motel room (but only 2 interconnetced rooms, one bathroom and bed space for 6 if we shared in pairs!) 6 of people carried in the luggage, we drew straws for the beds and REALLY knew each other by the morning as there were 14 of us and we basically crashed wherever there was space!

Also, bare back riding in Arizona with friends of the driver.

Sleeping under the stars in Zion National Park in Utah.

Skydiving in the desert outside Las Vegas, Nevada.

SotB grin in Florida and elsewhere with the driver!!!

New Orleans, San Franscisco - I could go on and on and on......

Just consider that the brochure price is not QUITE the full cost even with flights added on. you have to pay some cash into the kitty and then you tip the driver a chunk too.

I had done Summer Camp as had about half the people on my trip. Others had flown out especially for the trip. From memory there were Brits, Aussies, Israelis, Japanese, and I think someone from NZ along with the American driver.

Megglevache Thu 24-Jan-13 19:05:48

Wow,exciting times ahead.

Andcake Thu 24-Jan-13 19:10:33

Some of my best memories of my time between dv from evil exh and current DP (with whom I have lovely ds) are my travels. Go go go and once you've gone to the usa try somewhere more adventurous. As well as camp america I also found company's like explore and exodus a brilliant way to travel as a lone woman and make new friends. The world is your oyster and you'll get your confidence back. Travel companies are a great way to relieve worried parents about the risks to a woman alone. A bit jealous tbh I wish I'd known then that my heart would mend and I would have current DP & ds :-)

blobandsnail Thu 24-Jan-13 19:26:49

I travel on my own a lot. Actually for all but one trip i've been on my own. It's perfectly safe and enjoyable. However even now when i've been doing this for years people still express shock and concern when i say i'm going alone. Ignore them, people will tell you horror stories and try and put you off but i can pretty much guarentee none of these people will have ever travelled alone, or probably even travelled anywhere remotely interesting.

If you are travelling alone a few tips to make it safe and enjoyable. Have a mobile phone with you at all times. If you have a smart phone install something like viber or skype on it. Free wifi is everywhere so it saves on cost. Make sure someone at home knows roughly where you're going and agree times to contact them. I usually use my parents and say i'll be in contact with them in some way once every 3 - 4 days. This is sometimes a phone call but more often an email just saying 'hi i'm alive and at x' I tend to do this more for others peace of mind than my own and it's not too difficult to do so if it saves them panicking and me enjoying myself its worth the hassle. Also leave copies of your insurance documents and passport with someone at home. When travelling alone you don't have someone near you to pass such things over to people if something does happen. I also always carry these with me when out and about so if something does happen i'll be okay.

Next tip is youth hostel! Do it! HI hostels in the USA are all over and there's a lot of independents in big cities. It's an excellent way to meet people. I've made some amazing friends in hostel rooms. Don't be shy to go out for a drink with them, or even spend the odd day with them. You may even meet someone to travel for a couple of days with - will save on fuel costs if you drive. I know as you get older it gets tempting to have some creature comforts and stay in a motel or in a single room, but for a few nights get out of the comfort zone and hang out with others. Hostels are not full of 18 year olds. I'm 28 and sleep in hostels, In NZ i shared a room with a 65 year old woman. They're full of interesting random people and its nice to chat to others. Plus it'll save you some money.

There's also websites where you can meet people doing similar trips to you, might be worth a look, or ask around your friends and see if anyone wants to join you for a couple of weeks. As much as i love travelling alone, sometimes it is nice to share experiences with others and if you're going away for 6 weeks or so over the summer maybe one of your friends would like to join you for 2 weeks or even a week. It doesn't make it any less exciting or adventurous it actually adds to the experience - sometimes at least!

YellowTulips Thu 24-Jan-13 19:41:50

Struggling to see the downside here.....go for it and tell us all about your advantures on a new thread when you get back :-)

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 24-Jan-13 19:47:09

I concur with everyone else, you'll have the time of your life. I did it when I was 24, buggered off to New Zealand for 4 weeks on my own, never having done anything like it before and it was amazing. I can remember so clearly sitting in the airport waiting for my flight thinking WTF am I doing? That fear was like nothing else but it made the whole experience even better 'cos the realisation that there was no reason to be afraid once I'd landed and found my feet. I did have to wait 2 days for my luggage as it went AWOL and I'd nothing to change into do had to figure out where to get underwear and some clean clothes instead of just sightseeing.

I hope you keep posting, all the planning, the count down and then the adventure holiday itself. I want to live vicariously through you!

Of course you should go. grin

Have a brilliant time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now