to go to america alone for 4 weeks

(116 Posts)
whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 18:33:52

So, my husband left me a few months ago, after only 5 months of marriage. Horrible situation.

Anyway, I am trying hard to move on and am coping very well duringbthe working week. The weekends are pretty sad and lonely though. I am atteacher and the school hols are the hardest time. Xmas was horrid. 2 whole weeks alone with my sadness! So, even though it is a while away I am already dreading the summer. 6 weeks is an awful lot of time to fill.

I have been thinking of going over to the states for 4 weeks, maybe travelling around a bit and doing something I would never have donew if we were together. However, when I told my parents and some friends my plan they were horrified. They think I am being rash. I am preferring to think of it as being impulsive and enjoying my youth now I am free of cheating ex.

Is it really a stupid idea? Anyone else done this that can offer advice?

whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 18:34:34

Sorry for mistakes, am on iPad.

LifeofPo Sun 20-Jan-13 18:35:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LifeofPo Sun 20-Jan-13 18:35:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RandomMess Sun 20-Jan-13 18:36:27

envy

Sounds like a great idea!

Bunbaker Sun 20-Jan-13 18:36:36

Go for it. Sorry you have had such a rough time.

kim147 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:37:33

4 weeks to go on holiday - the USA sounds great. Impulsive is good - except you have to wait till summer to go.

Now if you were to go tomorrow, that would be impulsive grin

MushroomSoup Sun 20-Jan-13 18:37:49

What a fab plan! Totally agree with you. If you don't like it, or feel lonely or vulnerable, you can just come home early. Go for it!

Euphemia Sun 20-Jan-13 18:38:06

Sounds like a brilliant idea! My first marriage ended after eight months, and I would have loved to be able to afford to do something like that.

Go for it!

Nancy66 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:38:18

Go!!

There's a website for holiday buddies - if you don't fancy going alone - but can't remember what it's called.

If you're not fussed about going on your own then you should def do it.

I travelled alone through Australia in my 20s and had a great time - you always meet people en route that you can hang out with

Go! You will have a fab time....

Warning - you may not want to come back!

ILikeBirds Sun 20-Jan-13 18:38:48

I think it sounds great, I'd love to be able to do another long trip to the states.

financialwizard Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:01

Definitely go. You will love it, and it will probably help to heal you too.

Shakey1500 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:04

Abso-bloody-lutely go!

roughtyping Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:06

Go. A girl I went to school with is currently cycling the east coast of America down to Mexico (not sure if any further). Looks amazing!

littlewhitebag Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:07

Sounds fab. I love going to the states! My DD is planning to work there for the entire summer and i am so jealous!

Ragwort Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:14

Sounds a fantastic idea, go for it. I am sure there are Youth Hostels, or the equivlent, which would be fun and cheap. Have you any contacts at all in the USA, ie: teaching organisation or similar (if you want) - or just enjoy your own company [smile.

mummytime Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:34

Go! If you can't do it now as a young child-free parent, then when can you?
Do plan well and make sure you don't go into dodger areas of cities, or the desert without water, but have fun.

badguider Sun 20-Jan-13 18:40:35

sounds great... you could even think about working on a summer camp, with your profession you'd get a great senior role.

TaggieCampbellBlack Sun 20-Jan-13 18:40:55

Don't go alone.

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragwort Sun 20-Jan-13 18:41:02

I travelled around the States for 6 months (admitedly with my DH) but we found Americans incredibly friendly and got lots of invitations to stay with people/use their second home grin etc etc.

TheApprentice Sun 20-Jan-13 18:41:44

I don't know what age you are but it may be worth checking out TrekAmerica - I think they cater for 18 - 38 year olds. They do lots of road trips in various parts of US and lots of people of different nationalities go, and often on their own.

I went on a month's trip around Alaska with them about 15 years ago and it really was great. Not cheap though.

PS I'm a teacher too and before I settled down with my now DH (I married quite late) I found the holidays really hard so I do sympathise.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 20-Jan-13 18:42:10

Of course you should go.
Stay in youth hostels, it's an amazing way to meet people. Whereabouts are you planning?
Oh and go out tomorrow and buy a Rough Guide or a Lonely Planet and start planning.
Lucky you.

nonpractisingVirgin Sun 20-Jan-13 18:43:46

Why on earth don't they want you to go? Can't think of a better way to spend your summer holiday, I'm really jealous! Sorry to hear you've had a rough time with exH though

kim147 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:44:45

DS would love to have a long foreign holiday over school hols. He's heard all my stories of my travels. Finances and ex would make that difficult.

Of course, the USA is a big country. So many choices. You could do Greyhound and see the real USA. Now that would be an experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now