Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu to think Dh spoilt the cake?

(36 Posts)
ChandlerBingsNubbin Sun 20-Jan-13 16:42:27

Spend ages doing a giraffe cake for ds' 5th Bday. Get it all finished and iced, and dh, who for some reason thinks he is Jamie fucking Oliver, comes along and goes to dust some coco powder on it, why I don't know, but he just chucks half the box over the middle of the cake. It looks crap, he is now in a bad mood, since I asked why he could not just leave it alone, he always has to bloody well fiddle with stuff when I'm cooking or doing something. It is very annoying. I spend all day on the cake for him to come along and chuck a load of bloody coco powder over it. It now looks like it has some sort of skin condition since he has sort of mixed it in with the icing!

ripsishere Sun 20-Jan-13 17:45:53

growing.

HollyBerryBush Sun 20-Jan-13 17:48:45

I find waving a big butchers knife round whan I'm in the kitchen makes every one back away grin

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Jan-13 17:50:30

Oh he would have heard all about it, I would have been pissed off to the MAX. You just don't muck about with something someone else has made, it's rude at best... and especially something as creative as a cake. Twat needs telling - properly.

Spoonyfuckers fuck with your cooking, often with a spoon but not always

PessaryPam Sun 20-Jan-13 17:53:48

Yes the spoon is optional but the intent is to fiddle.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sun 20-Jan-13 17:54:22
MrsLouisTheroux Sun 20-Jan-13 17:57:16

DH used to go into the kitchen and turn the oven right down (almost off) to "prevent burning" when I was baking. I can feel the rage just thinking about it.

I almost snapped DD's head off yesterday for a spot of spoonyfuckery - I'd just finished decorating a fab cake with the orange Doctor Who logo, all carefully-blended icing and carefully painted lettering, it took me three hours. And while I was finishing it off, she took the leftover icing and rolled it out and cut out the (wonky) letters of her name to go on the cake.

Luckily I caught myself before I said anything. It was her birthday cake, after all. blush

And it still looked fab, slightly wonky letters and all. grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 20-Jan-13 17:59:02

Jesus I would have injured him I am sure!

I spent a day last summer icing DS1's birthday cake, I was so bloody proud of it and if ANYONE had done anything to it I would have chopped their hand off.

RuleBritannia Sun 20-Jan-13 18:06:42

My DH was a superb cook but when he moved in, we had an agreement. If I cooked, he would make no comments and wash up afterwards. If he cooked, I would make no comments and wash up afterwards. the only thing we disagreed on discussed was greens. He liked a cabbage cut up and boiled a little. I liked it boiled and mashed emptied into a colander and cut into tiny pieces with a 'cabbage chopper'. I let him do most of the cooking because washing up is therapy.

I'm no good at icing cakes.

ChandlerBingsNubbin Sun 20-Jan-13 18:20:43

Well, dh has cooked the kids dinner, and we are having take out!

He now understand the error of his ways!! Cakes are MINE!!!! He will be lucky if I let him eat any.

I am no expert when it comes to decorating cakes, but I try! And I like to make them cakes for their birthday and they chose what they want. And Ds has never once looked at all disappointed that it looks nothing like the cake we found on google!

Ds has just made me up a love song and proclaimed his love for the cake too.

I have calmed down somewhat!

It is only me, dh and the 2 children who are here anyway, as we live abroad, so was not to be used for a proper party, luckily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now