Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why women's studies aren't part of the curriculum?

(49 Posts)
WhatchuTalkinBoutPhyllis Sun 20-Jan-13 15:32:25

Was reading the barbie fanny story and it got me thinking.

E320 Sun 20-Jan-13 15:34:33

What are women's studies? How to be a Stepford Wife or the opposite?

MrsLouisTheroux Sun 20-Jan-13 15:36:04

Someone's having fun today! Feeling a bit lonely, frustrated and bored today OP?

HappyAsASandboy Sun 20-Jan-13 15:36:57

Probably for the same reason 'men's studies' aren't part of the curriculum hmm

kinkyfuckery Sun 20-Jan-13 15:38:58

What's women's studies?

MrsLouisTheroux Sun 20-Jan-13 15:39:03

<shivers> Imagine 'men's studies'.

Jazzicatz Sun 20-Jan-13 15:40:48

It used to be women's studies, then in the 1990's got changed to gender studies, and now even that's been cut and very few places run courses on it.

WhatchuTalkinBoutPhyllis Sun 20-Jan-13 15:41:11

Do i have to spell it out hmm

e ar...

f e m i n i s m

That better

FeistyLass Sun 20-Jan-13 15:44:24

Possibly because every subject includes the contribution that women have made hence they don't need to ghetto-ise it into a subject of its own (which only some people would choose and hence would lessen its impact and importance).

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Jan-13 15:44:42

It gets covered in varying ways in both history and English courses. Particularly English in 6th forms. Or it was when I was attending one 6 years ago.

thegreylady Sun 20-Jan-13 15:48:55

which curriculum?
Anything which separates women from men is sexist in the extreme, women dont need 'studies' as a separate thing,respect/equality etc comes from a social acceptance and accountability plus a good dollop of commonsense.
Militant feminism made women a laughing stock imho.

Women's Studies!

I remember seeing that in my Uni prospectus in 1997. It was only 6 hours a week...presumably cos the rest of the week would be spent cleaning and ironing?

manicinsomniac Sun 20-Jan-13 16:12:46

because it's a bit mickey-mousey?

Fakebook Sun 20-Jan-13 16:13:44

Because its boring?

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 20-Jan-13 16:16:16

Who would take it?
Who would teach it?
Where exactly would it fit?

TheFallenNinja Sun 20-Jan-13 16:18:06

Because nobody would ever agree the content

andtheycalleditbunnylove Sun 20-Jan-13 16:20:26

because we're sinking under the weight of the curriculum as it is?

grimbletart Sun 20-Jan-13 16:22:08

Because learning to read, spell, do sums, history, geography, science etc. are what school is for.

All girls need to know is that they have the right to control their own lives and tell anyone else who says different to fuck off.

Sirzy Sun 20-Jan-13 16:24:07

Why would anyone think teaching about just one sex was a good thing? Do we really want to encourage sexism?

manicbmc Sun 20-Jan-13 16:24:17

Gender issues are already well covered in schools.

TunipTheVegedude Sun 20-Jan-13 16:26:15

The posts on this thread are making me want to kill myself.

Bunbaker Sun 20-Jan-13 16:28:41

Because the Russel Group universities would regard it as a "soft option" as it isn't an academic subject. Feminism is covered in history anyway. The suffragettes was my favourite topic in history.

scottishmummy Sun 20-Jan-13 16:32:21

i dont think there such a topic as wimmins studies.is a socialsciencetastic construct
there is good and bad representation and content
good curriculum reflects the impact of men and women

"Probably for the same reason 'men's studies' aren't part of the curriculum"

We don't need Men's studies, every history book details the achievements and ideas of "men".

It is only when you take a Women's Studies group, you realise how women have been cut out of history.

However, whilst i think that this subjects are excellent for raising female self esteem, to counter act the messages that come through the media around body image, i think that they should be confined to specific groups and not delivered in mixed schools, the audience has to be interested.

LaQueen Sun 20-Jan-13 16:34:42

I recall taking a Women's Studies module at university, waaay back in the early 90s. It was a peace of piss really, and enabled me to spend my Friday afternoons in the SU...avoiding the ranty girls who got all impassioned and well, er... ranty about the subject during the tutorials smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now