I'm sure this has been done before but...

(100 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 12:15:39

Fuck off with your BLW wankery. It's feeding your frigging baby. Normal food. Why does it need a crappy name? So new mums who do it feel special, and those who don't feel like outsiders?

It's not a THING.

Reaa Sun 20-Jan-13 14:20:19

I think I would be very confused if I had another DC now, mine were sleeping in my bed as it was easier to BF, my DC's loved finger foods and they took a nap when they got tired, my oldest DC is almost 18 and has turned out fine so far

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Sun 20-Jan-13 14:17:08

Personally I think these books,parenting styles and such just serve to undermine confidence in parenting instincts.
Animals manage to reproduce and raise young without seeking out Gina Ford.

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 14:14:00

Yup Noddy, but no shame in discussing bumsex at Centreparcs grin

Pilgit Sun 20-Jan-13 14:13:48

having read the BLW book (yes, pretentious name!) the whole point they are trying to ram home is that this is what our grans were doing 100 years ago and it worked great - so to whoever it was that said it's not new as my gran was doing it - is kinda the point! The spoon feeding comes from the times when people were convinced they had to wean at 3/4 months and the only way to do that is with mush. Doing the finger food/BLW route is not normal round my way either - everyone asks me about choking, are they getting enough, what about the mess and etc if I wasn't forcing mush into my childs mouth. Fighting the fight against then Annabel Karmel and Gina Ford mafia round here (no gripe with either - just their 'must follow exactlywhatitsaysinthebook brigade of followers) But agree, it's like 'hypnobirthing' and 'baby wrapping' new names and 'new' trends for the way it was always done before any of it was thought about too deeply.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 14:12:06

The verb, to 'nappy'? Whatever next?

I still like BINT. That's my favourite.

usualsuspect Sun 20-Jan-13 14:10:18

I read on here the other day 'I cloth nappy' people do talk wanky on here sometimes.

I felt like a total sucker when I bought a BLW book and realised that it just told me to give my baby food! Really should have saved myself £7.99...

noddyholder Sun 20-Jan-13 14:06:53

Mn the only place where you have to feel embarrassed to use a sling,breast feed, co sleep and take an interest in your childs nutrition grin.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 14:04:59

Sorry, typos

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 14:04:38

Do you know whats even worse? People who claim their babies are Gina Ford Babies. Like she had some kind of Midwitch Cuckoo effect on unsuspectin families up and down the country. Odd.

Maryz Sun 20-Jan-13 14:02:44

You aren't a sucker for buying a book.

You aren't doing anything wrong in doing blw (or not).

But those who think that buying the book, and following the "rules" and sticking to baby led weaning is the only way and that everyone else is wrong are idiots. As are those who think it is a new and innovative way to feed babies. It isn't.

milf90 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:01:50

Yanbu it annoys me too!! Why does everything need a name??why can't you just do wht works for you??

I just take a bit of everything - I had/have a mei tai and a push chair, I expressed breast milk then topped up with formula, I weaned lo at 17 weeks so had to start with purees but he was on finger foods by 6 months...

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 14:01:24

Eg

Myleene Klass The first woman EVER to have had a baby

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:59:37

I'm not sure that 'hater' is a standalone word, but then I'm not sure that 'wankery' is either. grin

The thing is, buy and read a baby book about a particular way of feeding babies, no problem. I've read a fair few baby books. But don't keep repeating the catchphrase title of the book whenever you talk about feeding your child. That's just irritating.

PandorasSocks Sun 20-Jan-13 13:58:26

Themobster, not a "sucker", but you should put more trust in your own instincts and do what is right for you and your baby (which you have clearly done).

People are pissed off with (not "hating" on) the smug brigade who think they invented having babies and parenting in general and that the only way is their way.

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 13:58:24

Again

Mobsters

You were normal too. There is a difference between figuring things out and doing what suits to evangelicalising something.

Themobstersknife Sun 20-Jan-13 13:55:10

I thought this thread was full of haters, but maybe I a mistaken.

I do parent by instint. My instinct was not to spoon fed, one taste at a time, as recommended by my HV team. My mum has passed on, the rest of my family live at least 100 miles away, I was the first of my close friends to have a baby, so I wanted to do some reading. I spent £5 on probably the only baby book I purchased, and decided it was for me. Obviously I am a complete sucker. Apparently.

Maryz Sun 20-Jan-13 13:53:38

My mum tells a story about going to a friend's house when my brother was 3, and him being given food on a plate. Apparently he lifted up the plate and asked "what's this"?

We were all fed on the laminate kitchen table, to save washing up (not much money in our house at that stage) and only used bowls for cereal or slushy food.

It wasn't called blw then - 50 years ago.

Nor was it blw when I weaned ds1 18 years ago. It was called "having stroppy baby who doesn't like eating off a spoon". He didn't use a spoon until he could pick it up and hold it himself. Everything was fingerfood.

I don't care what you feed your fecking kids. But stop telling me it's a new and wonderful way to do it [mutters]

PandorasSocks Sun 20-Jan-13 13:52:52

DeepRed I get that. I can honestly say, though, that I didn't take my mum's advice either... I just did it the way that was best for me and my babies. And I was very young when I had my first (19), so a tad clueless. It didn't occur to be to follow parenting advice from books.

Accidental parenting, it could probably be called. But, I never broke one of my children so I guess I must have done something right grin

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 13:52:38

FanFucking yes but that's 'cos you are normal

Making choices and getting on is different to

Place child into £350 pushchair

Insert salt free organic fortified with woven lentil bread stick into child's hand

Await applause and medal from the Queen.

lolaflores Sun 20-Jan-13 13:50:11

I saw film of women in a tribe in the deepest most isolated jungley bits of the amazon, chewing the babies food before passing it on.
Also, this method is a possible explanation for kissing...passing from mouth to mouth.
Works for the birdies.
My particular smugington prior to having her kids knew nothing about children. actively avoided them, then felt that books and what she heard at NCT were the way to go and basically "buying" her "parenting" experience.
I prefer home made

Figgygal Sun 20-Jan-13 13:49:02

I love you op constantly think this never brave enough to say it!!!

DeepRedBetty Sun 20-Jan-13 13:48:58

Sadly Pandora too many do. A mixture of not living close to own mum, being convinced that whatever they do they won't make the same mistakes as their own mum, (and thus ignoring the good advice along with the bad), and believing that if it's in a book it must be correct.

5madthings Sun 20-Jan-13 13:48:47

We bkw, used slings and co-slept, no name s given to it other than my mantra of 'muddling along parenting' it was what worked and felt right, nothing pretentious about it.

It just has a label now and an acronym which is just used as short hand.

BLCC
Baby Led Career Choices
On implementing a programme for gels aged 16 plus on the importance of getting a little job that works around what their future DC and DH need from them. Too many gels are growing up expecting to have it all and it's time they were told. After all, it's what baby wants and needs wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now