Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

I'm sure this has been done before but...

(100 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 12:15:39

Fuck off with your BLW wankery. It's feeding your frigging baby. Normal food. Why does it need a crappy name? So new mums who do it feel special, and those who don't feel like outsiders?

It's not a THING.

lolaflores Sun 20-Jan-13 13:18:00

Let us all get on with the job of rearing kids who can find their arse in a dark room with both hands. That does not seem to be the focus for some "super mums". It appears that getting a medal for being the most attentive (suffocating) over bearing and having all the gear parent for a short while is the ideal.
Just you wait till you have a stroppy 13 year who couldn't give a rolling fuck if it was breast fed, arse wiped and micro managed to within an inch of its life....it is all our fault anyway. The job is to get them on their own two little feet with the least amount of life threatening incidents avoided and on their way to being themselves.
So I say anyway.
Attachment parenting? Isn't that what parenting is anyway
By the way, Bowlby and his bull shit was discredited when it became apparent attachment parenting was a convenient way of getting women back into the home after the taste of freedom they inadvertently got during the war years.
Get them under the babies again and thats that.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:21:41

CUNT anyone? Maybe I could get Jo Frost or even Gina Ford on board with that one?

PLEB
Can we have that as an official MN acronym?grin

PassMeTheWino Sun 20-Jan-13 13:24:53

I think you are being a little U.

As a new parent I was fucking useless and clueless. I thought that jar food or mushing food was the only way you weaned a baby.

I thought that you could 'spoil' a baby with cuddles and the only way to teach a baby to sleep was to let it cry.

I was so fucking relieved to hear of BLW and AP by the time the second one came along. It was horrific going against all my instincts the first time. But I was knew, and a complete novice.

Some people need to hear there are other ways. If that means giving it a name a sticking it in a book, then so be it.

nope i'm stuck

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:26:34

BOPs - Breastfeeding Other Parents

Climbingpenguin Sun 20-Jan-13 13:32:56

to be fair, all the literature only mentions purees etc. so the concept of using finger foods isn't just something people naturally do to start with anymore.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:35:38

What literature is this?

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:39:27

Oooh I have another:

BINT

CUNT, by the way, was Childhood Upchuck Nettoyage Treatment

PandorasSocks Sun 20-Jan-13 13:40:02

Does nobody trust their own judgement as a parent anymore?

I mean, really?

Do people honestly learn to parent from (expensive) books/militants on the internet?

shock why would you breastfeed other parents confused

Viviennemary Sun 20-Jan-13 13:41:11

I believe in mush for babies. And it's more natural in any case. Because animals pre-masticate food for their young. Not suggesting people do this so mush food is the nearest thing.

cleaning up sick? or being sicked on?

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:43:03

You'll like BINT

We should definitely get Jo Frost involved in this one.

Baby Initiated Nap Time

thesnowmanrocks Sun 20-Jan-13 13:43:24

Food is food, can't understand fuss over it. Surely as long as it goes in mouth does it really matter what way it gets there. Personally fed ds with spoon partly because it was quicker and cleaner. And at other times let him get in right old mess. grin

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:43:25

cleaning it up

Yamyoid Sun 20-Jan-13 13:43:36

The phrase baby led weaning doesn't irritate me as much as baby wearing and attachment parenting. But BLW is a nonsense term because, as a pp has already said, it just means letting the baby choose what they want to eat. Mine is quite clear that she's an independent sod who will only eat certain things off a spoon. Therefore I am truly doing BLW but am not calling it that.

Anyway, what's CUNT stand for?

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 13:44:21

I honestly believe the term Baby Led Weaning was coined by a well meaning health visitor somewhere, in a bid to explain that ramming food constantly down children's throats is not beneficial. But then the Worthy-smuggintoons made it their own.

As for Baby Wearing. That's just Smugese for "I don't use a pushchair".

Themobstersknife Sun 20-Jan-13 13:44:51

All literature, books, whatever have endless recipes for purees.
I agree with Wino! I saw the worst example of jar/puree feeding. Poor little kid in a pushchair being spooned jar food, whilst rest of family sat at the table for a nice restaurant meal. I know this isn't what most peope do but it made me want to find out whether there were alternatives. This book was the answer to my prayers. And if any of the haters bothered to read it, they would know that one of the key themes of the book is that it isn't new. Its been around forever but it hasn't been written down anywhere. You all have the benefit of experience. I did not. Don't understand such hatred when it doesn't impact you, but helps lots of people like me.

HoneyDragon Sun 20-Jan-13 13:45:10

Worthy-Smuggingtons

The bastards got auto corrected

Yamyoid Sun 20-Jan-13 13:45:53

Ah, very good. Slow typer, me. By the way yanbu.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:46:26

And a new brand of organic childrens' clothing:

WANKING

Wearing All Natural - Kids in Natural Garbs

PandorasSocks Sun 20-Jan-13 13:47:19

Themobstersknife... "haters"? Really?

Blimey.

FanFuckingTastic Sun 20-Jan-13 13:47:20

I think sometimes the smugness is in your own head. I never felt smug about any of my choices. Just made them to suit myself and my baby.

Themobstersknife Sun 20-Jan-13 13:47:28

HoneyDragon that is exactly what has happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now