I'm sure this has been done before but...

(100 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 12:15:39

Fuck off with your BLW wankery. It's feeding your frigging baby. Normal food. Why does it need a crappy name? So new mums who do it feel special, and those who don't feel like outsiders?

It's not a THING.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 12:44:09

No, words aren't aggressive. They might be offensive to delicate flowers, but they won't hurt you.

noddyholder Sun 20-Jan-13 12:44:32

ok

lolaflores Sun 20-Jan-13 12:46:33

Go easy lads. I got eaten alive by the sling brigade.
I have a picture of me, with my eldest now 19 slung on me using a sarong.
It was 1994.
You are not that new and exciting.
It does my bleedin head in, but if they think they are reinventing parenthood. Crack on.

PandorasSocks Sun 20-Jan-13 12:48:17

It's like all the other stuff that's around at the moment to make some parents feel smug and superior.

I have five children aged between 5 and 26. I didn't wear any of them, they have never slept in my bed, they were all formula fed, they all wore disposable nappies and all were weaned on baby rice. Shoot me!

I do, however, admit to feeling smug because all of my children are intelligent, healthy and well-adjusted individuals.

BumpingFuglies Sun 20-Jan-13 12:51:45

DS just stuffed his face. I wore him once and nearly broke my back and as for co-sleeping, he couldn't stand my snoring.

<Modern parenting epic fail>

Viviennemary Sun 20-Jan-13 12:52:08

Take an old idea and give it a fancy new name and write a book about it and make some money and get on the TV.

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Sun 20-Jan-13 12:52:30

Hear hear! It's a load of pretentious "look at me, aren't I super" wankiness! Get a fucking grip and just feed the kid without the bull shit!

mrlazysfishwife Sun 20-Jan-13 12:53:11

I can understand why people might get a little miffed i they think that people are using the term BLW in a smug way.

But, out of the group of mums that I know (about 20 of us) only two of us didn't use purees from the start, and a surprising amount were still spooning in the mushy stuff when their kids turned one. I only ever brought up the term BLW when I was speaking with my other BLW friend. The other mums knew that I doing finger foods from the start as we used to have lunch together regularly, and they would say "oh, you're doing baby led?",usually following that with some comment about they'd be worrying about choking.

Same in mine and DH's family, they all thought it was very very odd that I wasn't feeding DS mushed up carrots and sweet potato.

So, in my experience, "BLW" is not what most mums do, it's not what our health visitors advised us to do at the weaning session, so it around here it is a bit of a "thing". Personally, I think it makes perfect sense and is far more "normal" than doing purees, but I'm in a minority!

We "do" BLW but only because it works for us and DD. What I really hate is where people have a bit of a snit and say that BLW and a bit of spoonfeeding is just traditional weaning with the implication that only they are true believers - oh fuck off, there isn't a medal on offer.

I get pissed off particularly as I/we:

Breastfeed
Use cloth nappies
Cosleep mostly
Use a sling (she is not a hat; I do not wear her)
BLW
Have a generally attachment parenting outlook

But none of it is particularly ideological and mostly born out of necessity. But because of the speshul bloody snowflakes people think I am one of them. Gah.

BLW. Hmm, it sounds as though you give them a menu and they point their sticky fingers at their choice of food.
It didn't exist when mine were babies.
I seem to remember putting food in front of them and they either ate it, spat it out or smeared in on themselves and the furniture.

MerryCouthyMows Sun 20-Jan-13 12:55:40

When I did 'BLW' with my DD nearly 15 years ago, it had a name - 'Lazy parenting'. I did it anyway.

[Insert slatternly parent emoticon here]

It wasn't called BLW, but it was still the same thing. DD didn't die, and ate 'proper' food far quicker than her peers who were weaned using traditional purées. So ididvthe same thing with DS1, DS2 & DS3. It was only called 'BLW' when DS3 was weaned...

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 12:59:02

So, the 'thing' is never having any kid of mushy food?

What about soup?

Should we perhaps call it 'PEW' (Purée excluded weaning)?

What about those (IMO normal) parents who do both? Who have some mashed up stuff when appropriate, and some stuff they grab and eat? What can we be called? 'WLBBPAB'?

comingintomyown Sun 20-Jan-13 13:00:52

Jesus wept I am beyond relieved my DC are teens and I escaped the worst excesses of children related twee terminology

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 20-Jan-13 13:04:26

I can't even remember much about the weaning stage, it's amazing when you have a teen, (ds is 17 now) how much you forget about the baby stages.
It's such a tiny part of their lives.

McNewPants2013 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:06:30

Isn't all weaning baby led, I can assure anyone that my son was 2.5 years old before anything apart from milk would pass his mouth.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:07:28

I'm going to re invent a baby related matter and make millions. Anyone got any ideas? Can anyone guess what mine actually are?

Baby lidding
AcapellaBaba
Baby planking
PLEB

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:10:31

Oh come on, I'm dying to introduce you all to the world of PLEB grin

um putting a hat on it
singing with it
lying it on its back
no idea

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:12:47

Well done, all those are right!

PLEB...

Precious Literary Expression for Babies

parent led exclusive breastfeeding?

Pandemoniaa Sun 20-Jan-13 13:13:16

I had my dcs so long ago that one of them has weaned his own baby now but I suspect that, 30 years ago, I was doing baby lead weaning. It's just that we didn't give it a poncetastic title. It was called weaning and involved putting a selection of different foods in front of the baby (some in a bowl, some just cut up) and watching while they ate it/wore it/gave it to the cat. I also wore a sling. That was called "putting the baby in a sling" not "babywearing". Same practices, different names and not quite so much smuggery about it from some quarters.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:13:20

aka stories

ah grin well thats far more wankish clever than my suggestion

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:14:23

How about this one?

BOPs

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 13:16:51

and this:

CUNT

?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now