To serve a baby led weaning buffet at my daughters party?

(372 Posts)
PignutSalamander Sun 20-Jan-13 09:31:20

Dd is turning 1, I am planning to do a buffet based on the very hungry caterpillar. The plan as stands is to set it all up on a trestle table and when it's time to serve it put the legs down and let them at it.
Consideration has obviously been given to making it safe and easy for kids to feed themselves and the first few people I mentioned it to said they thought it was a great idea
I mentioned it to a mum who will be bringing her dd and she said " err! What about germs? How will we stop them taking a bite and dropping it, then another baby eating it?"
I basically feel that they will be spending the whole party sharing toys, touching each other etc and that germs are just going to be shared.
Obviously I will ensure that hands are washed before they eat and have also checked for allergys and warned mums not to put them in there best clothes. Also seperate snacks for adults
So what's the consensus mn? Aibu?

manormuppet Sun 20-Jan-13 10:27:28

Bloody predictive text.
Op you are doing this for you not your dd save your energy

cocoachannel Sun 20-Jan-13 10:28:44

Also complete agree with Janey re. 1st birthday parties. We did exactly what she describes for DD and it was lovely.

This year we are having friends and their children round for Sunday brunch to celebrate her 2nd birthday. It is going to be themed with Peppa pig party plates from which we will all eat sausage and bacon sandwiches wink. Brunch is so toddlers can get home for their lunchtime nap and we can get the house clear before grandparents come over for tea and cake in the afternoon.

specialsubject Sun 20-Jan-13 10:29:34

massive waste of effort, time and most importantly a total waste of food. You'll just get a baby food fight with a lot of noise and mess, and for the amount that will get eaten you might as well just cut out the middleman and bin it straight away.

very funny - but no. Just no. Why bother with a party for 1 year olds anyway?

hazeyjane Sun 20-Jan-13 10:30:26

Blimey reading this makes me glad that I don't do parties for my dcs until they are 4!

catinboots Sun 20-Jan-13 10:32:01

BLW buffet? Fuck me sideways I've heard it all now.

So you want to put a load of finger food on the floor and let a bunch of 1 year olds crawl and walk through it?

Why not put it on a table and let the mums put stuff on plates? Surely that is still BLW? Are babies still BLW at 1 btw?

<baffled>

<wanders off in search of the normal people>

manormuppet Sun 20-Jan-13 10:33:15

I suspect the op was expecting lots of positive feedback...

kinkyfuckery Sun 20-Jan-13 10:33:27

DC2 was baby-led-weaned (such a cringey term). That didn't mean I gave her free reign of the kitchen, just that I plated up her food and she chose what she ate.
Why would you just let them attack the table of food themselves, when it's perfect acceptable and - dare I say it - normal to allow parents to select what they want their child to have, and plate it up for them?

hopeful92 Sun 20-Jan-13 10:35:34

pologies in advance, as this reply might not be recieved with open arms, but it sounds to me like this parts is more for the mum than the child. A one year old won't even know it's their birthday, they won't understand the concept of a party and they sure as heck won't care if the food is laid out in a "hungry catterpillar" format, or whether there is a bowl of breadsticks and grapes in front of them!! Personally, if my dc was invited to a one year olds birthday party in a hall I would just think the mum was a tad pretentious and show offy. Sorry, I'm sure you're lovely, perhaps slightly misguided on this occasion, but I'm just saying what impression it gives off sad

hopeful92 Sun 20-Jan-13 10:35:52

*Apologies

pigletmania Sun 20-Jan-13 10:38:04

I thought tats what op was doing, putting finger food on a table with paper plates and te parents help themselves for their dc, not a free for all buffet on the floor, god no way. Idontynink a bunch of 1 year odds will sit there nicely eating their fod aking no mess

Softlysoftly Sun 20-Jan-13 10:40:53

kinkyfuckery you did it wrong hmm

I just stripped them naked, opened all the kitchen cupboards and let them go.

Ok the runt of the litter didn't grow so quick but that's the natural way for you.

PignutSalamander Sun 20-Jan-13 10:42:06

Ok so it seems to be more of a mess issue. I like the suggestion of having it low enough for them to reach but not crawl in, I'll look into that

I run a local messy play group so I'm fairly sure I will be taken at my word when I say about change of clothes. My friends know what to expect of me.
Hall yes no way I want that many small children in my house, it really is not expensive ( nor am I well off before you jump to conclusion)
Almost all buffet prep can be done in the days before ( well, nights after dd is in bed) and I am not doing activities on the day friends are covering that so I can enjoy it with dd.
allergys and dietary requirements have been discussed and we have no raw egg and no oats. Which is easy peasy

manormuppet Sun 20-Jan-13 10:43:12

<shrug>

BeanJuice Sun 20-Jan-13 10:43:13

softlysoftly grin

manormuppet Sun 20-Jan-13 10:44:08

No the issue is its pretentious, unnecessary bollocks, but each to their own eh

Softlysoftly Sun 20-Jan-13 10:46:00

Now things become clearer, this is a sneaky business advert isn't it? You show people how much fun getting DCs messy is, busier messy play.

I like it!

ThreadPirateFanjoBeard Sun 20-Jan-13 10:46:19

What you are expecting: wowed parents, little darlings sitting feeding themselves, smug comments about how everyone should do BLW, everyone leaves the party impressed by your amazing creativity

What will happen: table islowered, babies crawl everywhere, ruining the food, Joe Bloggs chokes on a piece of banana, Tom, Dick and Harry stand on the food in their shoes, bob runs round the hall smearing food on the walls, someone's nappy leaks and you have shit on the table, all parents are pissed off that they didn't bring a change of clothes as kids are filthy, you spend two hours trying to clean the sticky mess up, and to top it all your LO sat on his/her cake.

5madthings Sun 20-Jan-13 10:46:32

The hungry caterpillar themed food sounds great but purely from a mess pov i would provide some paper plates/bowls.

Have to laugh at some of the responses, this type of buffet on the floor is sometimea done at messy play, they put shower curtains down or tarpaulin type stuff (cheap from b&q) and the babies/toddlers love it, yes its messy but they have fun. Food is also about exploeung texture etc as well and they really enjoy it.

At a party i would give out plates and then let the babies all sit on the floor, then end result will be the same...mess!

We hired a hall for ds1's firsr bday, we lived in a tiny little terrace. Had fruends wuth babies, a buffet, few toys and loads of balloons for them to play with. Cheap and easy. Not massively extravagant.

manormuppet Sun 20-Jan-13 10:47:30

This will be lovely until you introduce.....children.

LittleChimneyDroppings Sun 20-Jan-13 10:48:49

Yuk. For a one year old I'd just let the parents plate up the food, not let everyone dive in. But its party food, not BLW. Your child should be fully weaned by a year, so whats with the pretentious blw crap?

soverylucky Sun 20-Jan-13 10:50:39

I don't understand first brirthday parties like this at all. Sure the day needs to be marked but what is wrong with getting a few friends and family round for a sandwich and cake. Full on parties are pointless imo till they are about 3 when they know what is going on. If you must have a party with all your babies "friends" then little plates is the way to go.
A baby led weaning buffet sounds very pretentious and very pfb.

hopeful92 Sun 20-Jan-13 10:51:12

Even if you do a buffet they can reach, one year olds will not just nicely get food from a bowl and put it in their mouths, they are still babies for goodness sake, it will get tipped over the floor, mushed between their fingers and, quite frankly, ruined! Are you actually for real in thinking that a buffet for one year olds is a good idea? We have enough problems at snack time at playgroup with a bunch of 18 month-3 year olds, never mind if we put 1 year olds into the mix!

Why not have the buffet for both adults and children and do messy play with them?

Food before one is just for fun- so food at one is for eating?

sleepybump Sun 20-Jan-13 10:51:22

Yes I want to add that this is not 'BLW' ...BLW is just babies starting on solid food when they are ready/wanting to grab and shove it in their mouth and parents letting them do it at their own pace (around 6m) most children are on full, (mostly) self-feeding solids by 1 year old anyway. This is just a party buffet smile I would suggest changing the name of your party to just a hungry caterpiller themed party.

I also try to vet my (now 15m) LO away from sugery/salty foods, you might find disgruntled parents trying hard to do this too (though when its handed to them by other babies -often pulled out from their own mouths first- theres not much you can do to stop it anyway!)

If its of any consolation, my friends and I would all be up for this kind of thing with our children (though just healthy food at baby height)- but I doubt any one of us would volunteer our houses for it! hehe - our picnics at baby groups are hard enough to contain and clean up after as it is, and that's just a few sandwiches/cheese/crackers/tomatos/grapes etc.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 20-Jan-13 10:51:34

I think you are imagining all the clean, well behaved calm babies crawling around the food and selecting themselves what they like and parents standing back and letting them get on with it and marvelling at the wonders of BLW for days to come.

What will happen is the hyped up from the party babies will crawl through the food, all the parents will feel the need to intervene and try to stop them getting too messy, try to stop them ruining your buffet, try to fix bumping/crying/snotty noses/dribbles from babies crawling through food, try to stop them eating food that's been previously chewed/squashed and finally try to give them a selection of food from their bowl provided for adults. All the time trying to awkwardly play along with your mad plan to convert them to BLW.

Have the Hungry Caterpillar themed buffet (which sounds spectacular), but give them a plate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now