To serve a baby led weaning buffet at my daughters party?

(372 Posts)
PignutSalamander Sun 20-Jan-13 09:31:20

Dd is turning 1, I am planning to do a buffet based on the very hungry caterpillar. The plan as stands is to set it all up on a trestle table and when it's time to serve it put the legs down and let them at it.
Consideration has obviously been given to making it safe and easy for kids to feed themselves and the first few people I mentioned it to said they thought it was a great idea
I mentioned it to a mum who will be bringing her dd and she said " err! What about germs? How will we stop them taking a bite and dropping it, then another baby eating it?"
I basically feel that they will be spending the whole party sharing toys, touching each other etc and that germs are just going to be shared.
Obviously I will ensure that hands are washed before they eat and have also checked for allergys and warned mums not to put them in there best clothes. Also seperate snacks for adults
So what's the consensus mn? Aibu?

BobbiFleckmann Sun 20-Jan-13 22:34:34

forgive me for having a mind in the gutter, but this sounds exactly the sort of thing that those man-babies who wear adult nappies and treat themselves to an afternoon in a playpen with a pro would LOVE

Loshad Sun 20-Jan-13 22:39:45

loving the idea that blw is rising in popularity and modern. It is how i weaned my now strapping 19 year old! didn't have a fancy name then .
But honestly, a hall party for a one year old, and themed, and then involving wasting huge amounts of food, and that food incorporating 2 huge choking hazards in the form of whole grapes and marshmallows biscuit

MrsKeithRichards Sun 20-Jan-13 22:44:52

The more I think about this the more ridiculous it becomes!

A theme for a one year old? Exactly who is that going to benefit? Not the one year olds that's for sure. It's all about making yourself look good. yuk.

specialsubject Sun 20-Jan-13 22:52:25

putting out food just to be crawled through and used as face-paint IS wastage.
Feeding people is not wastage.

Greensleeves Sun 20-Jan-13 22:58:43

people eating vast amounts of food that they do not need is also wasteful

as is supermarkets throwing out tonnes and tonnes of perfectly edible food just to keep the chain of supply up and the lorries on the motorways

a baby's birthday party is not something to get all unnecessary about, especially as the food will be explored and tried, and some of it eaten <shrug>

op has already said that the other attendees are her friends, who know what to expect and will enjoy it - where's the harm? The babies won't write a critique for Harpers and Queen, no, but they will have lots of fun and enjoy the fuss and attention.

some posters are accusing OP of doing this to make herself look and feel worthy. some posters are bleating about waste in order to make themselves look and feel worthy.

BeanJuice Sun 20-Jan-13 22:58:54

Even if the food idea isn't great having a theme for a 1 year old is perfectly fine, don't be ridiculous - have you ever bought a nice item of clothing or a toy for a young child? Arguably pointless too, as they wouldn't care if they were in something grey, or playing with a box.

PickledInAPearTree Sun 20-Jan-13 23:03:30

Thing is I did a party for my ds and they ate a fair bit of food. A one year old is normally eating fruit finger sandwiches etc so it all seems a but pointless to me.

Like going to a wedding buffet and having to snipe across the floor for it..

Just give them a few paper plates for the love of Jesus.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 20-Jan-13 23:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greensleeves Sun 20-Jan-13 23:11:16

am also hmm at the chorus of posters saying 1 year olds will not get anything out of it as they have no idea what is going on

my children must be prodigies then. because at 1yo they certainly would have noticed bright colours, big cake, yummy food, music, lots of adults and kids laughing and having fun... and they liked the Hungry Caterpillar too and would have recognised pictures of it!

PickledInAPearTree Sun 20-Jan-13 23:11:41

Well I'm sure the kids will like it but whoever gets to clean up, shudder!

grin

Greensleeves Sun 20-Jan-13 23:13:08

gah. I worked in a nursery school for 5 years and teach primary now. Rule number one with child-mess: it always looks worse than it is grin

ll31 Sun 20-Jan-13 23:24:20

sounds horrible tbh and pointless for babies tho clearly you'll feel good for having done it. really seems like wasting food

PickledInAPearTree Sun 20-Jan-13 23:31:48

They will all be in a brawl around that caterpillar I reckon. Make a good video!

Morloth Mon 21-Jan-13 00:13:51

Madness.

How can you be so into this?

whatwhatinthewhatnow Mon 21-Jan-13 00:28:02

I have to defend booking a hall for a 1 year olds birthday. We did it as DP has about 30 cousins (I only have 4) who all wanted to come and see DS on his birthday, they all have children of ages 1 up to 14 and we had a tiny one bedroomed flat at the time. I needed outside space and somewhere to feed them all!

Although I have to say that I made a pretty standard buffet with veg sticks and hummus, fruit, breadsticks, chicken legs and other whole foods. So what about that isn't BLW? I don't really get this table in the middle with kids hanging off it fighting for grub idea, sorry.

BeanJuice Mon 21-Jan-13 08:44:23

I hope the party is lovely too with the revised idea smile oh wait, you should just not bother and put her in dirty grey clothing and with a toy to play with all day because she won't know the difference anyway clearly hmm

Ignore the nastier posts OP

DonderandBlitzen
"How does BLW work if more than one child is helping themselves? If one baby grabs the swiss roll caterpillar and wanders off with it, then the other children don't get any?"

Naturally, the other babies will walk after the "swiss roll snatcher" and eat crumbs, dropped pieces of the floor. After all, the floor has been turned into a table!

PickledInAPearTree Mon 21-Jan-13 13:34:34

I didnt read all the posts actually but I had a party for my one year old and I hired a little place and there was a buffet AND i bought him a present that wasnt an empty cardboard box - he might not remember it but he was really excited to see all his family in one place and ran around as happy anything all day.

The only bit that I think is a tad erm bonkers is the crawly food fest! God my DS would destroy it all within 10 seconds.

The VHC themed buffet sounds like a lovely idea, but ffs don't call it a BLW buffet. If you send that out on the invitations you can be guaranteed to get mass eye rolling at that one. As so many have said it's just food.

Please provide paper plates. I'm cool with children pinching bits of each other food, but not about them (intentionally) eating off the floor like dogs and eating food that's been under one anothers shoes/leaky nappies. Maybe you could lay out picnic blankets so they all still sit together, but in a slightly more organised way, with their mostly own food to go at.They will still enjoy themselves and the parents will be more relaxed and like you more. wink

I run a playgroup, we have the occasional messy play activity day. It goes down well, we don't mind cleaning up, the parents are glad that they don't have to do it at home.

However, food is not messy play. It's not a toy. I did BLW with dc3 and dc4, although I didn't know it was called that then. I just couldn't be arsed with all the preparation of purees and didn't have the energy for endless spoon feeding. I still taught them manners from an early age and encouraged them to eat nicely.

At playgroup, every week, including after messy play, the children sit with clean hands around a low table in low chairs and eat toast and have a drink. It's all very civilised, even the younger ones sit and eat nicely as the copy the older ones.

It would have really pissed me off if someone had introduced the idea of food being a messy play thing.

You did want to know what the other parents will be thinking, that's what you've got from this thread!

One thing's for sure, it will be talked about for years to come, though maybe not quite in the way you were hoping!

I think a lot of posters, like myself, are trying to save you from the feeling of toe curling embarrassment that will spring upon you months or even several years down the line when you think, "Why the hell did I do that?!"

I have a few hidden deep inside my black heart grin

Passthesaltdear Wed 06-Mar-13 20:08:14

Just found this thread and its made me laugh my socks offgringrinA BLW Buffett on the floor with a load of one years old crawling all over itsmile The imagerygrin

bedmonster Wed 06-Mar-13 23:54:26

Just saw this pop up again and thought the OP had come back to tell us what a success it had been - I was wrong! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now