Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Foxes

(265 Posts)
LatteLady Sat 19-Jan-13 23:08:30

Just before I went out to supper tonight, found my next door neighbour in tears coming up her front path... her cat had been savaged by foxes. From the sounds of it, Ralph a sleek cream cat with a ginger tinge will need to be put down as the fox has ripped open his under belly.

This is the third incident in our area over the last week, another lady was walking her dog and had to get between the fox and her dog and then got attacked too.

Am I unreasonable to think that there should be a method of culling this urban menace?

Abitwobblynow Tue 22-Jan-13 07:44:04

Repeating David Bellamy and Chris Packham's plea,

cat owners PLEASE don't let your cat out from dusk onwards. They are crepescular hunters (ie at night) and if every owner in Britain did this we could live with cats and birds in our gardens smile.

Bluestocking Tue 22-Jan-13 08:18:24

Crepuscular = dawn and dusk, actually. But yes, keeping cats in at their peak hunting times (dawn and dusk) is a good idea.

MrsTomHardy Tue 22-Jan-13 08:18:37

Easier said than done tho....in winter months my cats do tend to be in at night but during the rest of the year I hardly see them...how do you get them to come indoors when they are out and about??

LineRunner Tue 22-Jan-13 18:40:42

You feed them.

MrsTomHardy Tue 22-Jan-13 21:11:39

Mine don't eat indoors, they eat on the doorstep...they always have.
I've tried shaking the biscuit box when I want them in but that doesn't work....

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:35:56
maninawomansworld Thu 24-Jan-13 08:56:11

There is a great method, which I use frequently. It's called a rifle!
Seriously though, you'd get in trouble letting one off in a town (assuming you even know someone who posesses one) so I'd get together with the neighbours and call in a pest controller who can set a trap / trap for it.
After that, you can help yourselves by not leaving bins open, double bagging food waste so that they can't smell it as easily. They love thick cover to hide in so prune any overgrown areas in your gardens / near your houses so they can't use them for concealment.

Punkatheart Thu 24-Jan-13 09:27:30

I have already said this but killing a fox is useless. Another one will move into its territory almost straight away. The best way is by deterring it or, as maninawomansworld says, not leaving out any waste. Being frequently in your garden helps too...

theplodder Thu 24-Jan-13 10:17:59

foxes should be culled in urban areas. they are a menace.

Sallyingforth Thu 24-Jan-13 10:23:25

That would be pointless and ineffective. You clearly haven't read the previous comments.

maninawomansworld Fri 25-Jan-13 09:58:36

I tend to find that shooting a fox (out here in the sticks anyway) 'buys' you about 3 - 6 months before another moves in, unless it's in the spring then you might only get a matter of weeks.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:43:48

so - whats the point in shooting it then man ? not being funny just seems to be a fairly pointless exercise if another moves in soon after....why bother to shoot them? For what reason do you shoot them?

PeachActiviaMinge Fri 25-Jan-13 22:24:44

Lots of twats about recently, god fucking forbid anything has a right to live if it does something we don't like and isn't a pet.

P.S Punkatheart - Marry me? The wolf walks - how amazing. My favourite animals.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Jan-13 22:33:55

also have a crush on punkatheart
does a brill job, talks sense, shows intelligence and compassion....i would. grin

Punkatheart Fri 25-Jan-13 23:22:46

You two are making me giggle.

In my worst times, I close my eyes and imagine wolves. I can't imagine a life without animals....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now