Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Foxes

(265 Posts)
LatteLady Sat 19-Jan-13 23:08:30

Just before I went out to supper tonight, found my next door neighbour in tears coming up her front path... her cat had been savaged by foxes. From the sounds of it, Ralph a sleek cream cat with a ginger tinge will need to be put down as the fox has ripped open his under belly.

This is the third incident in our area over the last week, another lady was walking her dog and had to get between the fox and her dog and then got attacked too.

Am I unreasonable to think that there should be a method of culling this urban menace?

Bluestocking Sat 19-Jan-13 23:10:17

Please have my very first biscuit to go with your latte.

VicarInaTutu Sat 19-Jan-13 23:12:21

the foxes around her are all very shy and ive only ever heard of one genuine fox "attack"

are you certain this is genuine? and definitely a fox?

AgentZigzag Sat 19-Jan-13 23:12:47

Does that mean we can start culling other things which are urban menaces?

Hunt down Peter Andre maybe?

Possibly 4 x 4 drivers?

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Jan-13 23:13:00

We're overun with foxes in this area and there have been no reports of them attacking cats. How do you know it was a fox that attacked it?

Also, they run like the clappers when they see my little JRT

So it's weird.

highly unlikely to be a fox IMO

more likely someone's Been At The Cheese <taps nose>

Bluestocking Sat 19-Jan-13 23:15:01

Lads with their undercrackers hanging out over their jeans? That's a right menace around here.

LatteLady Sat 19-Jan-13 23:15:50

Sadly, yes I am certain, the foxes here are not in the least bit shy and have been becoming more and more emboldened to say nothing of the mange which many of them carry.

Bluestocking Sat 19-Jan-13 23:15:53

Been at the cheese?
Foxes do like cheese. Ham goes down well too.

LST Sat 19-Jan-13 23:16:30

Can't see it being a fox tbh. My timid tabby chases foxes twice the size of him out of the garden...

Bluestocking Sat 19-Jan-13 23:16:41

Sounds more like the work of a wolef to me.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 23:17:02

Hunt down Peter Andre maybe?

PMSL.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 19-Jan-13 23:17:23

I watched my very elderly cat seeing off a fox once. Teas very funny. A cat can easily see off a fox. I'm hoping we get more cubs in the garden this year as they are ridiculously cute...

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 19-Jan-13 23:17:45

Teas = Twas

LatteLady Sat 19-Jan-13 23:18:23

The fox set off a security light in the garden, her husband saw it go for the cat, but unfortunately was not quick enough to get out there... so yes, I am sure.

gotthemoononastick Sat 19-Jan-13 23:18:28

Our foxes would never ever hurt a cat or baby.....

lurcherlover Sat 19-Jan-13 23:18:55

The fox is native to this country. The cat and dog aren't. Sorry, but I think the fox has more right to be here.

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Jan-13 23:18:59

I get the occasional fox wander into my conservatory but as soon as it spots us through the glass door, it's off like a rocket.

confused

LineRunner Sat 19-Jan-13 23:19:15

Very, very unlikely to be foxes doing this.

No, there is no way that city councils will 'cull' foxes because the problem is the carrying capacity of the land - i.e. as long as there is food the foxes will breed to fill the territories; and as long as there is territory they will breed to fill it.

If people stopped leaving food lying around it would help to naturally decrease fox, pigeon and rat populations.

Narked Sat 19-Jan-13 23:19:19

Bollocks.

AgentZigzag Sat 19-Jan-13 23:19:25

Could just do it anyway StickEmUp? grin

Just for the craic of it.

VicarInaTutu Sat 19-Jan-13 23:19:31

i suspect this is a case of a fox fit up...

and yabu.

Narked Sat 19-Jan-13 23:21:36

I think I might be lactose intolerant.

steppemum Sat 19-Jan-13 23:21:52

sounds like you have a problem fox, I can't imagine that healthy cats are normally prey for foxes. I would try phoning council etc to see if they can do anything if there is a problem fox

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now