To accept even though I'm not willing to give?

(267 Posts)
StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:22

I was going to dress this up but i think better blunter.

Although I'm worried about a flaming.

Im very squeamish and quite unwilling to give blood due to that fact.

If i was to need a transfusion in the future, would it be unethical to accept?

When I'm dead, anyone is welcome to any part of my body and I've made damn sure I'm on the donor register and everyone knows ill haunt them if they refuse on my behalf when I'm dead.

Blood however, while alive, I'm not sure.

weegiemum Sat 19-Jan-13 21:38:28

They don't accept my blood. Because I ger a blood product once a month as a treatment for my neuro disability. Though I get it free, I can't opt in to giving (though dh and my parents do).

But with my IVIg treatment I can walk, talk, work, etc (all the stuff the bloody Tories want me to do!!

NippyDrips Sat 19-Jan-13 21:38:47

I have thought about donating a few times but am actually registering now. Great thread.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:39:08

Not too far, I am healthy according to the doctor so it's not an issue (I have had flack on here for being so small. I am healthy!!) but might be with blood amounts.

I'll just have to see.

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 21:41:30

X post - don't cry op. The thought was there which is the main thing

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:43:10

Well I feel a bit humiliated now! I've publicly turned my thoughts around only to be gazumped on it all ... and who knows if I am telling the truth or not ... !!!

Maybe if someone else manages to do it as a result of this, something has been done.

boo hoo to me.

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:45:23

I'm guessing the weight thing is connected with amount of blood in your body? why don't you register and see what they say?

Don't be upset stickemup, you should feel proud that you've spurred 2 people on to do it, that's fab. thanks

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:47:17

Bloody hell, now I am thinking it's not MY Choice NOT to donate, I'm more up for it than ever!

I registered a few a few mins ago so will see what happens.

hellsbells76 Sat 19-Jan-13 21:56:57

I haven't donated for ages (no excuse, just general crapness and disorganisedness) but inspired by this thread I've just made an appt for a week Monday. So OP even if you are too underweight, I'll donate in your honour because if it hadn't been for you I'd probably have carried on procrastinating over it for another 5 years or something blush

SushiPaws Sat 19-Jan-13 22:00:37

I give blood regularly. I don't like needles and I panic like crazy before. But I feel so proud of myself after its worth it. The nurses are amazing, they sit and chat with you so you're not alone if you feel woozy.

I was on the weight border the first time I donated but they said it was fine.

Good luck op, first time is the hardest on the nerve but it gets easier.

Almostfifty Sat 19-Jan-13 22:02:51

OP, I used to give blood back in the day when I was all of six and a half stone wet through and never noticed any problems (I used to lie about my weight, though I wouldn't do that now). I'm tiny, so to me it was the same as any normal weight person.

I am now well over eight stone and will be going next week. They've refused me a few times, but I keep trying.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 19-Jan-13 22:04:44

Don't feel bad, OP. I used to have a colleague who felt the same way and has said she will donate her body.

I give blood, lots of people do. It's a nice thing to do but it's not mandatory that everybody must. Agree with the posters who say that the first time is the 'worst' if there is such a thing, because you don't know the routine. After that, it is just routine.

I do think that the time for giving it could be shortened though... 16 weeks just seems a ridiculously long time.

Yanbu but if at all you do manage to get the nerve up to do it, and if you can, then you can be really proud of yourself for having contributed to saving a life. My life was saved by blood transfusions and I think of the lovely anonymous random donors every single day. I needed 20 packs over about a week. I will never forget what those people, some of whom will no doubt have had needle phobia, or various reasons for putting off donation , but the day they went to that blood van they saved a stranger's life. Mine. They're amazing.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 22:16:27

petite you've made me tear up :'(

pixwix Sat 19-Jan-13 22:21:08

stickemup You might not beable to donate yourself, but this thread
just prompted me to call the donor helpline. I'm now just 8 stone, (wasn't sure how much I weighed!) but thought I couldn't donate because of the asthma meds. Spoke to a nice advisor, who took me through some questions re my steroid use, symtoms and stuff, and it turns out I CAN donate grin

I now have a donor number, and am going to donate on Thurs 31st Jan at 1.45pm - so thanks for the prompt!

Sorry. Can I also say that when I was admitted my wonderful DH was at home with my barely two week old DD1, so they're bloody grateful too. Well, DD1 will be when she's old enough to understand. And DD2 wouldn't be here either, of course and she's 3 months old today. I'm not trying to guilt people into donating, just trying to explain what an amazing thing donating is.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 22:28:46

I just rang the helpline and they said 7 stone 12 is the min weight.

so I cannot donate.

After how this thread started, I don't know whether to be happy or bummed, TBH

sad

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 22:29:51

petite don't say sorry I can't donate now but if this made other people do it then maybe I've done something.

Well it's great you called. Thank you smile

DragonMamma Sat 19-Jan-13 22:42:45

Well done for trying to donate OP.

I am very squeamish but I have friends that have been saved by donations and also a friend who's 2yo is having cancer treatment so I think it's important to do my bit.

I give as regularly as I can, once you take away the exclusions for pregnancy, piercings and tattoo's but it really does get easier every time you do it. Although I still get a little knot in my stomach just before I go in.

I'm now looking in to platelet donations now grin

mummyplonk Sat 19-Jan-13 22:43:44

Stickemup, have a big sticky bun and some choccies on me, thank you for starting this thread. I have a cold at the moment but as soon as my cough has gone they will accept me too, and I promise I will do it on your behalf. X

Platelets good too. There's a shortage in my area for me they had to fly some in from another hospital.

wannabedreams Sat 19-Jan-13 22:51:33

Nope, I give blood too but would not even consider what others do, it's up to you...

shockers Sat 19-Jan-13 22:59:28

I'm really squeamish, but I give blood whenever I can (which isn't as often as I'd like because my iron count is quite low).

After building it up into something massive before my first time, I felt a bit daft afterwards (and a bit proud too) blush grin.

EmpressOfThePuddle Sat 19-Jan-13 23:02:15

Stickemup, not only are you bloody brave but you're inspiring people to donate and that's brilliant.

I've tried before but been refused for being underweight. Going to get the scales out in a minute and see if I still am. Like you I'm on the donor register.

expat your posts have had me in tears.

I have a very extreme medical phobia, to the extent that when I gave birth to my first child (unplanned obviously!) I had a letter from a consultant in my notes saying my needle phobia rendered me incapable of rational decision should any intervention be required during the birth. I did manage to have most my pregnancy bloods taken though, which showed me that, despite what I had thought, I can make myself do it if I need to. Some weeks after the birth I required surgery for a breast abscess which I declined blush yet 9 months later I conceived my second child and was able to have bloods taken. My long winded point being that we can do things for our children that we can't do for even ourselves.

Anyway, if my children needed blood I know I would find a way to give it to them. If, God forbid, they were ever seriously ill like your DD expat I know I would cut off my whole bloody arm if it would help them. I registered to give blood before Christmas and made it my New Year's resolution but have been having second thoughts as the only time my DH can look after the children is during their most popular slots and I'm shitting myself that I'll turn up and not go through with it and waste an otherwise productive slot.

This thread has motivated me to find a way to give blood, because it could be any one of our loves ones who needs it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now