Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To accept even though I'm not willing to give?

(267 Posts)
StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:22

I was going to dress this up but i think better blunter.

Although I'm worried about a flaming.

Im very squeamish and quite unwilling to give blood due to that fact.

If i was to need a transfusion in the future, would it be unethical to accept?

When I'm dead, anyone is welcome to any part of my body and I've made damn sure I'm on the donor register and everyone knows ill haunt them if they refuse on my behalf when I'm dead.

Blood however, while alive, I'm not sure.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:14:28

You get tea! With 2 Sugars??

And please I haven't done it yet, I've not faced it yet but hopefully I will.

they better not tell me I can't now!! Would anyone believe me anyway???!!!!

crazycanuck Sat 19-Jan-13 21:14:31

Hurray OP! What a wonderful turnaround!

expat I got over my squeamishness when following your posts about your beautiful dd. I go for my 2nd donation in 2 weeks. And as long as I'm able I'll be in there every quarter.

mummyplonk Sat 19-Jan-13 21:15:10

Expat your post has really moved me, it's a bit late in the month but this is a New Years resolution that should have been done years ago. I will definitely make an appt this week too. I have a phobia of having my wrists touched but sounds like this shouldn't be an issue based on what others have said.

meditrina Sat 19-Jan-13 21:16:15

I give blood because I think it's the right thing to do, and I don't give a flying fuck about the personality of the recipient (even if a mass murderer) or whether they have ever donated; just that they are someone in need.

Though I did like the Transfusion Service's campaign You're never too busy to receive blood

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:16:30

mummy come back (if you like) and tell us when the appt is.

Together, we'll do it!
Just once, Mummy, just once wink

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:19:29

Stickemup, I'm with you. Going to look into it this week. I have low bp and giving blood sample is a mare because I ave very deep-set, thin veins and borderline underweight bmi.

Can I still do it?

Expat, your posts took my breath away. Going to organ register too.

mummyplonk Sat 19-Jan-13 21:20:38

Okay stickemup, am looking on the website now, if you can do it so can I.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:22:21

perma Lovely. Welcome abroad the 'Scaredy Donators' thread.

My BMI is low too I said up thread but hopefully I'll have enough blood.

Make the Appt and they will let you know if you can do it.
I am not sure there or in writing first.

but let's try wink

I'm so happy!

ZZZenAgain Sat 19-Jan-13 21:22:55

they are always keen to get my blood, it seems O is one they don't get enough of. I am not squeamish about it so it is easier for me than you OP but I just get on with it, it is like a trip to the dentist. It isn't enjoyable having a needle stuck into your vein, in particular when they take a few prods before they get one! Inserting the needle takes a couple of seconds and then you just lie still till they're done.Don't look at the blood, close your eyes and think about something else. I am a bit woozy afterwards when I first sit up so I take it easy for a bit but I don't feel ill or anything like that.

Friend of dh's felt a bit ill one day ,aged 25, otherwise in perfect health you'd think. Luckily for him, both parents were doctors and realised it was serious, rushed him to hospital and he needed an enormous blood transfusion otherwise he would have died.

You never know when one of your dc is going to need an operation and you'd want enough blood there if needed, wouldn't you?

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:23:04

mummy YAY YAY DOUBLE YAY

We can do it, I know we can.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:24:07

ZZZ I dont have children but if it was DH, of course.
That's what made me think on.

ZZZenAgain Sat 19-Jan-13 21:25:23

I didn't mean you personally stick. "You" as in "one" IYSWIM.

I've never given blood. I have had problems having blood tests - I'm not squeamish, but have thrown up once and am difficult to get a vein on.

I now feel quite sad that I have never given blood as I had to have a transfusion after DD was born and am therefore banned from giving blood.

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:28:13

Right, just looked:

I don't weigh enough = going to have a kit Kat AND a cake, I need to lay down some fat for winter.

Just come off antibs = be ok in a weeks time

Have acupuncture regularly = is with a qualified practitioner, just need to check she belongs to the correct body of acups.

Am going to do this, darn it, or try my very best.

Come on stickemup and mummy, what a great thread.

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:30:54

Not 'come one' supposed to say 'nice one'!

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:31:08

perma I'm well worried I'm too underweight now.

Where did you find that out?

I saw on the official site it depends on how much blood is in your system to start.
And us smaller peeps might have too little to take.

So you might be okay?

I better be I'm all psyched up now!

(oh and I've got home made brownie and thick cream LOL)

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:32:21

You south or north, stickemup, I may come round for the brownie........��

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:33:38
StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:34:16

As south as you can possibly get ... I can see the sea from my flats front Window grin

Do come over wink

MyLastDuchess Sat 19-Jan-13 21:35:01

Good for you! It's really such an important thing you're doing.

I had a serious post-partum haemorrhage when I had my first child, lost 3 litres before they were eventually able to stop it (under general anaesthetic). I would have survived without a blood transfusion, but it helped me to bounce back really quickly and enjoy those first few days with my new baby as much as I could. I remember watching the donated blood drip slowly into my arm and being so grateful that the blood was there when I needed it.

Ironically I am now unable to give blood, having received a transfusion (and I wasn't allowed to anyway as I have previously lived in the UK - they wouldn't accept my blood here as they are worried about BSE).

I did give blood before moving here though. It really wasn't that bad. And they give you biscuits afterwards grin

But enough about me - I just wanted to give another example of how blood donations help real people. My story doesn't compare to expat's beloved DD of course, but the help from the donors really meant a lot to me.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:35:28

Well that's fucked it

You do not weigh over 50kgs (7st 12).

I dont.

I'm going to cry. Really, I might.

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:35:33

Be there in 7 hours! Shame, I may just have 2 kitkats instead (4 fingers). Enjoy the choc brownie. I'm going to register with the website and go from there.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:36:22

It's in the 'may' section though.

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 21:36:53

Good for you op! There's lots of form filling to do and they will do a finger prick to check your iron, plus a health questionnaire.

Make sure you wee before you go; they like you to drink 500ml of water while you wait as studies have shown that this increases the blood pressure slightly and so helps stop you feeling dizzy or faint. Between that and the tea afterwards I couldn't wait to go to the loo!

permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 21:37:02

Sorry xpost, how far off 7.12 are you? I reckon if you're not too tall, they'll consider you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now