To accept even though I'm not willing to give?

(267 Posts)
StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:19:07

Just think about it!

TBH, every quarter when I get my little letter I sort of sag smile.

But hey, needs must. And I think of how amazing those children are and it sort of buoys me up. If they can do it, so can I!

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:22:43

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:09

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:52

Am so so grateful to all fellow donors out there. Thank you so much! You don't realise, with that needle, that you are, very literally, saving peoples' lives!

TheSecondComing Sat 19-Jan-13 20:26:12

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:27:37

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:19

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:30

Once is enough. One pint saves a person. Go along or ring the line.

My aunt contracted HepC in the 70s, before screening. She was struck by a car at a pedestrian crossing and lost her left femur and the left side of her pelvis (they are metal). But she is still here with us, a beloved mother, grandmother and sister.

If they can't take it they'll let you know.

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 20:30:50

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:30:53

It's a great feeling, isn't it, TheSecond? Magic! I just tell the phelbotomist, believe me, they're very experienced. The past few times I've hardly felt a thing.

It saves lives! It saves the lives of thousands of children every day.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 20:31:41

What a brilliant thread that the Op is rethinking it.
I have HepC but my ds doesn't. He'll be 18 this year and off to university, and I'll actively encourage him.
StickemUp you're a star.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:36:52

VenusRising Sat 19-Jan-13 20:45:59

I can't give blood as I had hepatitis, but I'm an organ donor.
My DSis died suddenly and her organs saved three lives.

We all do our best I think.

So sorry expat, hope you all had a good Xmas.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:10

mellowcat Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:11

I have a horrible fear of veins, even typing the word makes me wibble, but from being on here I have signed up for Anthony Nolan and given blood twice. The first time was a walk in the park, but the second didn't go so well and I still have discoloured skin a couple of months later where the bruising was. I am dreading going back, but I will because of the children that I have learnt about on here. Not to guilt trip you or anything, but I hope you are able to go to.

( get a really cute key fob on the second time you donate.)

My mum took me along to my first donor session when I was 18. Discovered that I was O neg, which of course they're always keen to have.

I try and go regularly now, particularly as my mum can no longer donate as she's had treatment for breast cancer.

And I really hate the whole process, am really squeamish about needles, but it's worth it!

YANBU, I was going to say that just after reading the OP as you're on the Organ donor register. All organ donors are saints to me.
Now I read on you are an angel - good luck!

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 20:59:16

You are rather brave and pretty amazing Op.
From you're Op to this is rather wonderful.
Keep in touch and there'll be many who'll hold your hand.

MikeOxardInTheSnow Sat 19-Jan-13 21:02:13

I am alive because of people who gave blood, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has donated. You are all heros.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:05:07

TwoCatsAndABabyBump Sat 19-Jan-13 21:05:12

I hate hate hate needles. Took me 24 years to get up enough courage to give blood but I forced myself to go as I felt guilty that I could but didn't.

It actually isn't all that bad tbh. The worst part for me is the finger prick at the beginning. I worry about that more than anything now!

I have rubbish veins and slow blood. Can take a couple of goes to get the needle in me and I can be sat there for well over half an hour and not even have a full bag. I don't feel well afterwards and have to take it easy but not bad enough to stop donating.

It doesn't really hurt after the needle is in place and I get a weird satisfaction at watching the tube go red!

I'm now pregnant and sad that I can't give blood for a while yet but as soon as I am able to again I will. It is my way of giving back to those that need help.

Didn't mean to go on for so long sorry, but if people could at least give it a go and then afterwards don't want to do it again, fair enough, you've tried, it's not for you but thank you for trying, or, if it's not as bad as you thought and you can face going back, the more the merrier!

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:06:28

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:07:31

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 21:11:34

Of course it is OP.
Every little bit makes a difference, you could save a life

PleasePudding Sat 19-Jan-13 21:13:02

I give blood, although not at the moment as pregnant. In a really weird way I find it relaxing (which I certainly wasn't expecting). I think it's the having to lie down and do nothing for 5-10 minutes and then have some biscuits and tea.

Go StickEmUp go! That is pretty amazing facing your fear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now