To accept even though I'm not willing to give?

(267 Posts)
StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:22

I was going to dress this up but i think better blunter.

Although I'm worried about a flaming.

Im very squeamish and quite unwilling to give blood due to that fact.

If i was to need a transfusion in the future, would it be unethical to accept?

When I'm dead, anyone is welcome to any part of my body and I've made damn sure I'm on the donor register and everyone knows ill haunt them if they refuse on my behalf when I'm dead.

Blood however, while alive, I'm not sure.

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:19:07

Just think about it!

TBH, every quarter when I get my little letter I sort of sag smile.

But hey, needs must. And I think of how amazing those children are and it sort of buoys me up. If they can do it, so can I!

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:22:43

Ohhhhh expat! What are ya doin to me!

Ive just had a look.
I had suspected hep c after a holiday.

If i can .. I will.

Ive never looked at the page about if you can give and im well under the weight resctriction too.

So im thinking they might not want mine.

I'll see if i can donate and if i can i will.

If i do it once and have it will i have helped?
Or is tha poor show??

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:09

Ive had a look... 6th feb ....

Ill go along.

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:52

Am so so grateful to all fellow donors out there. Thank you so much! You don't realise, with that needle, that you are, very literally, saving peoples' lives!

TheSecondComing Sat 19-Jan-13 20:26:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:27:37

Oh bloody hell i was so adamant this couldn't happen.

Imagine of my dh needed blood?
Would i want to give some of mine then.

YES. OF FUCKING COURSE!

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:19

I'm squeamish, have zero pain threshold and hate needles. But my resolutions for 2013 were to join the organ donor register - which I have - and to give blood - which I did for the first time last week.

I was quite scared and secretly hoping that they wouldn't find me suitable, thus letting me off the hook with a clear conscience! However I passed the assessment so no such luck grin

It honestly wasn't that bad. The actual blood donation itself was over and done with in 6 minutes- I was really surprised! Yes the needle part wasn't nice but it was no worse than a blood test. There's no messing about trying to find an "in" (I have very shy veins!) as they are all very experienced in getting a line in you quickly.

You don't see the bag and because you are laying down you don't have to look at your arm either. I took a book as a distraction but it's done so quickly that next time I probably won't bother. The biscuits afterwards were very tasty i nearly offered to give them another pint in exchange for more biscuits

All in all it was quite straightforward and I came away feeling pretty proud of myself. I really don't like needles and honestly I'm so squeamish it's untrue, so I felt that it had been a bit of a leap for me.

I am of the school of thought that if you'd be willing to receive then you should be prepared to give, but that said it's not for everyone and you are free not to if you feel that you can't. But it was totally different to what I thought would happen smile

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:30

Once is enough. One pint saves a person. Go along or ring the line.

My aunt contracted HepC in the 70s, before screening. She was struck by a car at a pedestrian crossing and lost her left femur and the left side of her pelvis (they are metal). But she is still here with us, a beloved mother, grandmother and sister.

If they can't take it they'll let you know.

SugarPasteSnowflake Sat 19-Jan-13 20:30:50

Oh and when I say I have almost zero pain threshold I'm not joking - the docs and nurses at my surgery have said I am the wimpiest adult they've met! [Blush]

expatinscotland Sat 19-Jan-13 20:30:53

It's a great feeling, isn't it, TheSecond? Magic! I just tell the phelbotomist, believe me, they're very experienced. The past few times I've hardly felt a thing.

It saves lives! It saves the lives of thousands of children every day.

smile

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 20:31:41

What a brilliant thread that the Op is rethinking it.
I have HepC but my ds doesn't. He'll be 18 this year and off to university, and I'll actively encourage him.
StickemUp you're a star.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:36:52

Okay, I'm doing it.

Ive always been weird about thinking id probably like some blood to live if needed, but too scared to give.

I learnt how to drive recently and i keep thinking ... Its another thing where i might hurt myself and need that damn blood.

sugar that doesn't sound weird i thought it would be 15 mins or summit!

dh just said his nanny got a certificate on her 500th time of giving shock

VenusRising Sat 19-Jan-13 20:45:59

I can't give blood as I had hepatitis, but I'm an organ donor.
My DSis died suddenly and her organs saved three lives.

We all do our best I think.

So sorry expat, hope you all had a good Xmas.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:10

I just made an appt, well applied for it, I had to register, it said a confirmation would be set.

6Th Feb.
Eek.

mellowcat Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:11

I have a horrible fear of veins, even typing the word makes me wibble, but from being on here I have signed up for Anthony Nolan and given blood twice. The first time was a walk in the park, but the second didn't go so well and I still have discoloured skin a couple of months later where the bruising was. I am dreading going back, but I will because of the children that I have learnt about on here. Not to guilt trip you or anything, but I hope you are able to go to.

(Also...you get a really cute key fob on the second time you donate.)

My mum took me along to my first donor session when I was 18. Discovered that I was O neg, which of course they're always keen to have.

I try and go regularly now, particularly as my mum can no longer donate as she's had treatment for breast cancer.

And I really hate the whole process, am really squeamish about needles, but it's worth it!

YANBU, I was going to say that just after reading the OP as you're on the Organ donor register. All organ donors are saints to me.
Now I read on you are an angel - good luck!

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 20:59:16

You are rather brave and pretty amazing Op.
From you're Op to this is rather wonderful.
Keep in touch and there'll be many who'll hold your hand.

MikeOxardInTheSnow Sat 19-Jan-13 21:02:13

I am alive because of people who gave blood, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has donated. You are all heros.

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:05:07

SO

Is there anyone out there who is also squeamish about Blood donation fancy doing it with me?

We do it ONCE! If we like it, we carry on. Or not!

If we don't, well have done it ONCE and we can say we tried. And we will have given some blood which will help

WHO IS WITH ME

WHO DONATES AND FANCIES GIVING US SOME MORAL SUPPORT

TwoCatsAndABabyBump Sat 19-Jan-13 21:05:12

I hate hate hate needles. Took me 24 years to get up enough courage to give blood but I forced myself to go as I felt guilty that I could but didn't.

It actually isn't all that bad tbh. The worst part for me is the finger prick at the beginning. I worry about that more than anything now!

I have rubbish veins and slow blood. Can take a couple of goes to get the needle in me and I can be sat there for well over half an hour and not even have a full bag. I don't feel well afterwards and have to take it easy but not bad enough to stop donating.

It doesn't really hurt after the needle is in place and I get a weird satisfaction at watching the tube go red!

I'm now pregnant and sad that I can't give blood for a while yet but as soon as I am able to again I will. It is my way of giving back to those that need help.

Didn't mean to go on for so long sorry, but if people could at least give it a go and then afterwards don't want to do it again, fair enough, you've tried, it's not for you but thank you for trying, or, if it's not as bad as you thought and you can face going back, the more the merrier!

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:06:28

(fucking hell I can't believe I was looking for someone to tell me not donating is okay and now I have made an appt. MUMSNET. HUMPH!!!)
(xxx)

StickEmUp Sat 19-Jan-13 21:07:31

MIKE Bloody hell, so it IS all for something.
I'm having a tear moment. DH looks concerned.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 19-Jan-13 21:11:34

Of course it is OP.
Every little bit makes a difference, you could save a life

PleasePudding Sat 19-Jan-13 21:13:02

I give blood, although not at the moment as pregnant. In a really weird way I find it relaxing (which I certainly wasn't expecting). I think it's the having to lie down and do nothing for 5-10 minutes and then have some biscuits and tea.

Go StickEmUp go! That is pretty amazing facing your fear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now