In asking you to spit (especially if you are Jewish)?

(60 Posts)
Zipitydooda Sat 19-Jan-13 19:21:08

.. And if you're not.

A friend's mum is urgently seeking a bone marrow donor in the next 5 weeks: If you are under 50 and not yet on the bone marrow register, please make it your priority! There are various ways to do so, and you could save a life. If not my friend's mum then someone else.

If you've registered, but you're not absolutely certain that your details are correct, please call the organisation in your area and make sure. More info and easy links below:

If you are 16-30: and not on the Anthony Nolan stem cell register, please consider requesting a spit kit in order to send a sample of saliva in the post - it only takes a few minutes to do. More details can be found from the links here, including eligibility criteria: http://is.gd/Spit4Mum

If you are under 50: and able to give blood, please consider going to a blood donor centre or a local donor session and asking to have your stem cells screened at the same time, more details here: http://is.gd/Donate4Mum

If you are already on the register: please make sure your details are up to date, if you can't be found, you can't be a lifesaver, more details here: http://is.gd/Update4Mum

If you are on Twitter: please use the hashtag #Spit4Mum to spread the word.

Copying and pasting on my phone so I hope this comes out right.

Pigsmummy Mon 21-Jan-13 11:05:26

I am a blood donor and on the bone marrow list but having recently had a babu I can't donate either currently sorry.

thegreylady Mon 21-Jan-13 10:36:33

I can't because of my age and my cancer treatment sad

sarahbanshee Mon 21-Jan-13 09:44:35

My husband and I have both been on the register since university (mumble mumble years ago) and he has donated once. Straightforward, all but painless, out-patient procedure and he only needed three days off work including the day of the donation itself. He would gladly do it again and having seen it I would be very happy to donate if matched.

Zipitydooda Mon 21-Jan-13 09:40:55

Lots of people have asked questions about the criteria especially age. I'm not an expert and have no professional links to Anthony Nolan organisation but from talking to someone who worked for them, it seems it has a lot to do with costings.

It costs money to test people and put them on the register so AN restrict entrants to those most likely to match someone and be able to provide stem cells. The downside of this is that when someone from a minority group needs a match there is much less chance of them finding one.

breadandbutterfly Sun 20-Jan-13 23:09:53

Can't donate for multiple reasons at the moment - if put on lots of weight will look into it later.

Was hoping to help as am Jewish but not able to. hope someone can be found.

TheFallenNinja Sun 20-Jan-13 23:05:56

I visited the Anthony Nolan labs. It's utterly mind blowing the things they do.

Utterlylostandneedtogo Sun 20-Jan-13 22:53:37

I can't donate due to severe sciatica sad will spread the word tho

Spink Sun 20-Jan-13 22:45:18

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/qa/index.asp%23howcan
The link for the BBM registry

Spink Sun 20-Jan-13 22:43:04

I think the AN age cut off is lower than the British Bone Marrow registry, may be for cost reasons (because you can only donate up to a certain age, they need people to be eligible for as long as poss, perhaps?)

Anyway, dh is too old for AN but is registering with BBM, & all the registers are pooled when searching for matches afaik, so makes no difference who you register with.

I joined AN a couple of months ago & I've just been asked to give further samples as I may be a match for someone. Here's hoping.

jjuice Sun 20-Jan-13 22:35:51

I can't as I had a blood transfusion. I hate that I can't give back but I can bump for you.

Tincletoes Sun 20-Jan-13 22:31:04

Bumping - one of my friends too, and as I am too old this is all I can do.

namechangecity Sun 20-Jan-13 22:27:09

ok why is it only under 30s that can do stem cells but under 50s can do the bone marrow? I am confused.

And where are the weight restrictions section (want to check if I am too fat). I am over 30 so think my only option is to go to blood service - but please can someone confirm?

Zipitydooda Sun 20-Jan-13 21:02:15

Thanks everyone for your support.

babybarrister Sun 20-Jan-13 13:34:12

I looked into this in detail a while ago to discover i am Too old for Antony Nolan which came as a shock to me so I am not quite sure what the point is of the blood register as according to the Anthony Nolan website the transplants would not work v well with an older person anyway ...

Halogen stand corrected tho as I did want to participate

scripsi Sun 20-Jan-13 12:09:32

I was just chatting to family (trying to press gang them into using our Jewish heritage) and one asked whether they could extend the appeal to Israel? But if it is a worldwide register perhaps that is already happening.

charlieandthechocolatecake Sun 20-Jan-13 10:59:42

I just registered. However I'm not Jewish and I have a 6 month old. I will encourage others to do the same.

Mimishimi Sun 20-Jan-13 07:51:07

Unfortunately I don't live in the UK but on the anthonynolan website, it says that you should be aged under 30, not 50. Surely that would exclude so many potential donors (donating randomly is not something that would have occurred to me in my twenties)? Unfortunately we have had a sad case here in HK where the husband of a music teacher at my DD's school has been unable to find a donor. I will look into joining the Australian register. My mum had a kidney transplant due to polycystic kidneys and only the tragic death of a seventeen year old in a car accident saved her life. sad

Naoko Sun 20-Jan-13 02:52:54

Shadows - I believe most of these registers are now worldwide and exchange information so that if there is someone abroad who could help, the match can be made, so who knows, maybe you could be smile

Sadly I too am excluded on medical grounds (I even emailed AN Trust in the past to check and a reply came back that effectively said 'absolutely not, harvesting the bone marrow would be far too dangerous for you' - joint/spinal problems sad ) but posting to bump!

courgetteDOTcom Sun 20-Jan-13 02:34:15

I always feel bad that I have to say no sad I'm autoimmune and a thrombophiliac so I can't do anything like this.

Hope your friend finds a match soon.

scripsi Sun 20-Jan-13 01:02:14

Was hoping to sign up for this as I have some Jewish heritage, but see that medical exclusions include sciatica! Bumping this up in any case

I am registered as a bone marrow donor, but am in Ireland, so am of no help to your friend's Mum. I do, however, have lots of family and friends in the UK, so will pass this on to them and urge them to join the Anthony Nolan register. I really hope your friend's Mum finds a donor soon.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 20-Jan-13 00:12:14

On the list already, though not Jewish so unlikely to help your friend. Wishing her the best of luck.

Bumping smile I can't donate blood or bone marrow thanks to anaemia and possible latex allergy, but I bug my family and friends about it on a regular basis smile

Bump bump bump!

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Sun 20-Jan-13 00:07:31

After 6 months breastfeeding you can donate blood again. Not sure about marrow though.

topsyturner Sun 20-Jan-13 00:06:14

I wish I could , but barred as have cancer .
Will bump for you though x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now