Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

to not want to lend my new car out?

(121 Posts)
InNeatCognac Sat 19-Jan-13 11:13:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InNeatCognac Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:00

BellaVita Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:15

Absolutely no way would I lend my new car out to anyone. I don't even like DH driving it never mind it being driven 500 plus extra miles.

Tell them to do one.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:09

smile

letseatgrandma Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:38

Just treat it as a joke, 'yeah, ha ha very funny-no one's touching my new wheels' /'on yer bike'/'no chance'/'ha-I don't think so' etc etc

I think they know they're taking the piss-do you think they would actually have the cheek to ask outright?

ENormaSnob Sat 19-Jan-13 20:35:44

What car is it?

<in the market for new 7 seater and need inspiration wink>

InNeatCognac Sat 19-Jan-13 20:45:31

thesnootyfox Sat 19-Jan-13 21:36:28

A car isn't something that you lend to other people. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask someone if I could borrow their car.

AbuseHamzaMousseCake Sat 19-Jan-13 23:30:59

Its a car, to be used.

My family swap cars if needed. But we take care of them. So would not return in a state unless we hadn't had time to clean before the owner needed it back and then would clean at first opportunity!

However, if you need it for work, then a simple: 'Sorry, it is not available.' No need for anything else.

Longdistance Sat 19-Jan-13 23:49:30

Tell your da to buy her own 7 seater!

Yanbu at all.

gotthemoononastick Sat 19-Jan-13 23:59:57

Cheeky devils!!Everything MissMarples said about the food sweets fatty fingermarks and vomit/febreze smell! NO!

Pinot Sun 20-Jan-13 09:27:57

I want an s-max. envy

I agree, don't lend it.

DP and I will very occasionally borrow each other's car for emergencies, but otherwise we don't let anyone else drive our cars.

I'll happily give people lifts, help in other ways, etc, but I won't lend my car cos I need it.

InNeatCognac Sun 20-Jan-13 09:47:18

holidaysarenice Sun 20-Jan-13 12:23:42

No way! We all drive each others but its a few miles here and there, for convenience, running each other about, picking up dirty stuff (always in mums!!), who has the flattest seats, biggest boot etc.

They are having a laugh.

Say no. Next time they joke just say, I love how your saying it as a joke cause you know its never going to happen!!

BanghamTheDirtyScone Sun 20-Jan-13 12:33:28

I'm not sure I understand why it is such a bad idea, aside from the thought that if it is new to you, you really need to try it out first - and if something went wrong with it hundreds of miles away, you'd probably not be able to hand it back to the seller as you wouldn't know what had happened or why etc.

for this reason alone I think they're being unrealistic - but I can see why itwould be a good thing for them, not to have to take two cars.

Follow your own instinct on this.

MissMarplesMaid Sun 20-Jan-13 13:24:30

I actually would not want to go on holiday in someone else's car. I know just how much battering a car takes when it is packed full of luggage then gets used for days out and as a venue for picnics when the weather doesnt allow for eating outside.

It would be convenient for the DM & DSis to borrow the car but then it would be convenient for anyone to have a car at their beck and call. Convenient doesnt make it right.

SpicyPear Sun 20-Jan-13 13:29:35

By the time they have paid for short term fully comp insurance on your shiny S-Max and fully comp business insurance on their car for you, I don't see that they'll save much if any money vs. hire costs though. The whole idea seems a bit daft and ill thought through, as well as cheeky.

FeistyLass Sun 20-Jan-13 13:58:58

I'm not precious about letting family borrow my car (even though I absolutely love it - more than I've ever loved any inanimate object in my life - sometimes even more than I love dh too!) but there's no way I'd let someone take my car on holiday so stand firm! They're just being meanies to even ask.

EyesCrossedLegsAkimbo Sun 20-Jan-13 14:10:37

Just say Hahaha I know it's cold out but Hell hasn't frozen over yet.

I do not cars to anyone. Causes too much shit if there are accidents. I would also never ask to borrow someone's car. Completely alien request!

Glittertwins Sun 20-Jan-13 14:18:41

No way are ybu! You need your car for your needs, it isn't a hire car and although an S-Max has 7 seats, your are quite right in that you can't get luggage for 7 in there. I think they have a nerve. If your sister is so risk averse, she would not have asked you in the first place. Even if she did have fully comp insurance for driving another car, does it include a like for like replacement in case a courtesy car is needed. Most insurance companies only give a 1 litre Micra or similar unless specified (and paid more for) on the policy. Doesn't sound like you would manage with a Micra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now