to simply stop thinking for everyone?

(26 Posts)
NearMissAgain Sat 19-Jan-13 03:19:55

There are 5 of us in my family - me, DH and 3 dcs between 7 and 12. I don't work, so I do pretty much all the meal planning, shopping, cooking, cleaning (apart from tidying kids' rooms) washing and ironing. Fair enough, that's my job. DH and the DC's will help if I ask, but I'm honestly happy to do most of it.

What I'm beginning to resent more and more is that I seem to do a lot of the THINKING for everyone else. The dcs have school and homework and various hobbies/social events which require being ready at certain times with the right things in bags etc. For example one of them might be going to a swimming party and despite me telling them the time we are leaving they still won't have thought to pack a swimming bag or even be dressed when it's time to go. Then I get annoyed and we are late. This is obviously avoided if I do it for them and walk behind them to make sure they are doing what they're supposed to be doing but I don't think this is good for them in the long run. As soon as I turn my back they will be off doing something else. Even with homework, we have a routine and they have to do it but I couldn't let them out of my sight or they would be doing goodness knows what. Even DH can't seem to do anything without asking me 100 questions about how to do it.

I guess this wouldn't be a problem if I was happy to do it, but I'm obviously feeling resentful which is why I'm posting. Should I just start leaving them to it and be ready for the fall out?

RavenVonChaos Sat 19-Jan-13 16:01:00

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Children need to be given their chores from very early on....toddlers helping to put toys away etc. etc. My 7 year old is more capable than I realised, and is happy to help with chores at the moment. My 10 year old is very capable but just beginning pre-teen attitude and then I have an 18 year old who is capable of international travel, complicated nail extensions, but fails to change the bloody loo roll. Ha Ha, We have done baking today and its a right mess now......guess what, no kids to be seen after licking the bowl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now