To be horrified at giving a 3 yr old crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites...

(314 Posts)
starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:48

....at 10 in the morning? After having sugary breakfast cereals?

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 22:22:24

Fanjo...they were talking about local newspapers and various pics of the people pointing to various things..potholes, piers etc smile

lougle Fri 18-Jan-13 22:23:49

There you go then, it only took an hour for the OP to call a spade a spade.

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 18-Jan-13 22:27:45

My DS bloody loves rice cakes, I don't think they're particularly good or bad tbh. They're just rice cakes. Not too sweet or salty so they'll do for me.

He's not had chocolate or crisps yet as he's still too young to have noticed them or asked for them, thank god, but I did get a roasting on here for letting him have breadsticks.

I shit you not. A bread sick should be a once or twice a week treat apparently.

dikkertjedap Fri 18-Jan-13 22:27:45

It is important that many adults/teenagers eat less carbohydrates and more fruit. This is not necessarily the case for young children, many paediatricians will tell you that a child needs some carbohydrates as a morning snack and that fruit is insufficient (apart from being bad for teeth).

However, at many schools it is perfectly acceptable for overweight staff to stuff themselves with biscuits but regarded as a crime if a child has a biscuit.

It all comes down to people making judgments in relation to areas where they have no or little knowledge/understanding, eg children's nutritional requirements are very different from those of adults.

Sirzy Fri 18-Jan-13 22:30:04

The child didn't eat all of that though did they. Some "bad" food won't do any harm and certainly isn't an indicator of bad parenting.

Only if their diet only consisted of such foods would it raise alarm bells that the family may need more support when it comes to food.

beatofthedrum Fri 18-Jan-13 22:35:50

Have giggled quite a few times reading this thread. No way the OP has a dc aged 3 or over, I fully agree with whoever said that. Standards slip as the years (weeks!) progress! What is greater than a mid-morning chocolate biscuit snack with happy children? smile

monkeymamma Fri 18-Jan-13 22:45:48

Roast swan, ROFL.
Sausage rolls and tinned ravioli - yum, now want for my next meal.
Rice cakes - taste like cardboard, smell like farts.

What! This is all over one chocolate biscuit?

I gave ds3 22 months two the other morning

<joins the pot noodle and sausage roll giving posters on the naughty bench>

INeedThatForkOff Fri 18-Jan-13 23:03:33

Fnar.

15 mins after DD (2.10) has eaten 3 spoonfuls (max) of porridge, she's in the prowl for something else.

'I want sumfin to eat!'
'Do you? What like?'
'Sumfin crunchy.'
'Crunchy - an apple?'
'No, they're yuck. Sumfin crunchy and brown.'
'Oh, crunchy and brown like toast.'
'No that's digustin. Sumfin crunchy and brown that's in a tin'.
<Gives in, doles out a minging basics bourbon cream --full of cheap trans-fats-->

Same most days. My DD won't eat fruit or veg. I won't make an issue of it. If she didn't eat snacks she'd live on little but bites of her meals and milk.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 18-Jan-13 23:06:16

YABU. My DC have what they like really, I try not to make crisps etc a regular 10 am thing but if thats what they want tis fine with me. They also have regular meals and are slim so ...........<shrug>

gail734 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:11:48

INeedThatForkOff lol at "Sumfin crunchy and brown."

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 18-Jan-13 23:12:36

usual John Bishop? I am discusted

MrsOakenshield Fri 18-Jan-13 23:15:32

beatofthedrum I have a 3 year old and wouldn't offer her any of those. I don't really care about this, but I don't see why being the parent of a 3 year old should make me give her chocolate biscuits and crisps as a snack? Or have I missed something in a parenting manual?

LibraryMum8 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:16:37

Now that ds is 11 I am much more relaxed. Sometimes he will have one of those cereal bars for breakfast if I'm late or frazzled. The best, no, but it doesn't happen all the time. I have bigger fish to fry! And if this isn't your child, I might want to stay out of it. You might not know circumstances.

forevergreek Fri 18-Jan-13 23:28:48

Hmm, feel free to feed them whatever you fancy. Personally no, I don't feed 3 year old choc/ biscuits/ crisps on a regular basis. We don't eat them regularly as adults so it wouldn't occur to me to feed to someone small.

GruffalosGirl Sat 19-Jan-13 00:29:58

When my pfb was little he was the organic home made healthy snack child. Another child and four years of sleep deprivation later he now starts every day with the bribe of mummy's special chocolate if he's managed to stay in his own bed til six.

As long as that's not all they eat then whatever gets you through the day I say. If I had a fiver for every parenting "I'll never...." I've broken I'd be a rich woman grin

PurpleStorm Sat 19-Jan-13 00:43:58

I don't think that having crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites and sugary cereal every day would be healthy, but... horrified? Really? I think you're over-reacting a little.

(And DS & I both like those flavoured rice cakes they sell for babies, BTW. Not as good as chocolate biscuits, but surprisingly tasty)

Posterofapombear Sat 19-Jan-13 00:49:35

DD at all of 18 months calls chocolate 'more more'
She makes a good point

<ignoring pearl clutching OP>

MrsApplepants Sat 19-Jan-13 00:51:14

There are lots of horrifying things in the world today. Chocolate for 3 year olds is not one of them.

Badvoc Sat 19-Jan-13 08:29:20

Rice cakes are quite nice with shit loads of Nutella on.....

theodorakisses Sat 19-Jan-13 08:58:08

Gruffalo, what a lovely post, it just sums it all up.
I am not horrified by this, some of the neglect and abuse I have seen, yes, but food? (mind you I am eating left over stuffed crust Pizza Hut for my elevenses while trying to get back to my dissertation so I guess I am a horrifying human. I have a 4x4 as well just in case you are interested. I remember my elder sister being intolerable with her first and dictating the rules of organic non violent no tv no sugar parenting to all around her and saying that shouting should be classed as a criminal assault. (an elective CS people should be named and shamed) Last time I saw her she was yelling at DS4 (aged 3) for spilling his cocoa pops on the carpet because he was so engrossed in his favourite Outnumbered episode he had dropped them.

carabos Sat 19-Jan-13 09:01:02

I would describe myself as horrified by the story about poor little Ryan who drank methadone from his sippy cup and died. Toddler has crisps for breakfast - not so much.

Hulababy Sat 19-Jan-13 09:13:07

starofastorath - Do you have a child of your own? If so how old? Oh - and what do you think of raisins and other dried fruit?

Locketjuice Mon 21-Jan-13 13:16:10

And also... Ds is 1 he will barely touch anything everything meal time he will maybe have 3 bits of sweetcorn before decided he's had enough and wants nothing else... So if I can get him to eat ANYTHING in happy even if it is wotsits!

Convert Mon 21-Jan-13 13:29:52

Wonder why the OP hasn't returned to tell us that she has four DC and they all only eat organic veg from her garden as snacks.

I have three DC 6, 4 & 1. DS1 had chicken pox so has only gone back to school today. Youngest 2 came out with it on Saturday so I am under house arrest STILL.
I have actually had crisps for breakfast myself today. <eats biscuit>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now