To put £5.00 in a child's birthday card

(31 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:37:03

I haven't much money this month due to it being January and getting over Christmas .

My DD has 2 birthdays this weekend both of which are for children in her class

AIBU to put a fiver in each card ?

I know the children can't get much for a fiver but they can put it towards other money they may get

Blatherskite Fri 18-Jan-13 15:56:32

Why buy a voucher that can only be used in one shop (which may very well go bust before you get round to spending it) when a £5 note can be spent anywhere?

ScalesAndMirrorsLie Fri 18-Jan-13 15:58:58

£5 and a bag of haribos/choc buttons

But £5 is perfectly fine and hopefully very appreciated by the receiver

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 18-Jan-13 16:01:19

£5 note is fine smile

5 x £1 coins even better
10 x 50p coins better than that
25 x 20p coins better still...

and uber exciting if you go for small, shiney 5p's grin

Kids love money of their own to spend and £5 is plenty for a school friend.

halcyondays Fri 18-Jan-13 16:07:59

It's fine. I wouldn't say you can't get much or a fiver, you could get sweets, books, a jigsaw or toy. My dds would probably buy a packet of Moshi Monsters, which they think are the best thing in the world.

CMP69 Fri 18-Jan-13 16:37:40

Happens all the time DS (4) loes getting money, cos he can buy magazines with crappy plastic toys on the cover!

EssexGurl Fri 18-Jan-13 16:51:38

YANBU. At my DS's school the "norm" is a collection among the parents with £5 being the typical contribution. If people don't get to make the collection, they bung a fiver in the card. Nicer in a collection, but they still get the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now