Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

or should this not be available? NOW?

(42 Posts)
feministefatale Fri 18-Jan-13 14:08:16

Why have I never heard of this!?

techcitement.com/culture/the-best-birth-control-in-the-world-is-for-men/#.UPlVdx2AC73

If I were going to describe the perfect contraceptive, it would go something like this: no babies, no latex, no daily pill to remember, no hormones to interfere with mood or sex drive, no negative health effects whatsoever, and 100 percent effectiveness. The funny thing is, something like that currently exists.

The procedure called RISUG in India (reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance) takes about 15 minutes with a doctor, is effective after about three days, and lasts for 10 or more years. A doctor applies some local anesthetic, makes a small pinhole in the base of the scrotum, reaches in with a pair of very thin forceps, and pulls out the small white vas deferens tube. Then, the doctor injects the polymer gel (called Vasalgel here in the US), pushes the vas deferens back inside, repeats the process for the other vas deferens, puts a Band-Aid over the small hole, and the man is on his way. If this all sounds incredibly simple and inexpensive, that’s because it is. The chemicals themselves cost less than the syringe used to administer them. But the science of what happens next is the really fascinating part.

The two common chemicals — styrene maleic anhydride and dimethyl sulfoxideform a polymer that thickens over the next 72 hours, much like a pliable epoxy, but the purpose of these chemicals isn’t to harden and block the vas deferens. Instead, the polymer lines the wall of the vas deferens and allows sperm to flow freely down the middle (this prevents any pressure buildup), and because of the polymer’s pattern of negative/positive polarization, the sperm are torn apart through the polyelectrolytic effect. On a molecular level, it’s what supervillains envision will happen when they stick the good guy between two huge magnets and flip the switch.

feministefatale Fri 18-Jan-13 17:19:22

But why play to the stereotype? And it just makes you sound rude and aggressive and not very bright tbh.

Hmm, I don't worry about stereotypes, and when I think of feminism in general, I see it as women who care about their place in society and are in fact usually very intelligent.

I see people who stereotype others as not very intelligent tbh,

feministefatale Fri 18-Jan-13 17:21:53

manatee I would agree with you in a new relationship, but then I would see condoms as necessary too then.

I would love it though now after being in a ltr with dh for a decade if he could take over. As hormonal bc doesn't work for me ( i mean it works, but emotionally it fucks me and makes me feel shit) and tbh condoms aren't great for either of us

drjohnsonscat Fri 18-Jan-13 17:25:54

there probably wasn't any need for the personal remarks but I am sort of with feministe. Perhaps I am wrong but thefallenninja didn't give the impression of having given a whole lot of weight to the many, many health risks and burdens women have to bear when it comes to contraception, pregnancy and childbirth. I do find that sort of attitude a bit galling to say the least. It's just a bit of a trite remark I think and I'm glad that someone saw fit to draw attention to it. We have a long way to go until men understand this is their burden to carry as well .

magimedi88 Fri 18-Jan-13 17:36:43

As I am the one who would carry any child I was always much happier for me to be responsible for my own contraception. And I have regarded myself as a feminist since the 1970's!

ThedementedPenguin Fri 18-Jan-13 17:59:20

Feministe surely one man saying he would not do it would call for rude remarks. I agree you have come across as quite aggressive now.

It's great if it came out so guys could also control their own bc, however it does not mean I would necessarily give mine up.

OddBoots Fri 18-Jan-13 18:10:03

I agree as a woman that I would want to take responsibility for contraception but I would also want my son, when he is sexually active, to also have the ability to take action to avoid fathering a child unless he wished to.

This is a feminist issue but it's also a human issue.

TheBrideofMucky Fri 18-Jan-13 18:19:49

Those of you who wouldn't trust your partner to use contraception to protect you both from pregnancy - should you really be having sex with people like that?

Busyoldfool Fri 18-Jan-13 18:25:59

The fallen didn't say he wouldn't take responsibility for contraception - maybe he already does, He jsut expressed an opinion about that particular method. Don't jump to conclusions Feministe

I can understand thefallen's kneejerk reaction to this - I feel the same about the coil, implant and injection! No bloody way. Will you judge me too OP?

This is an interesting idea but I would want to see proper clinical trials before I would consider it something worth discussing with DH.

feministefatale Fri 18-Jan-13 18:31:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

feministefatale Fri 18-Jan-13 18:32:40

No, I wouldn't Joyful, but any problems arsing form an unwanted pregnancy will be dealt with by you. Maybe your partner will be by your side but the brunt of it will be by you.

Tee2072 Fri 18-Jan-13 18:34:22

Yes, what BrideOfMucky said.

It sounds to me like much more research is needed with this method anyway.

meditrina Fri 18-Jan-13 20:11:51

" I do wonder if it would ever be relased even if it was the "perfect birthcontrol" as it really wouldn't be much of a cash cow would it compared to bc pills"

I think it will: the Indian government are involved in this, and a cheap effective long term method of birth control is something they would very much like to see.

SnowLiviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-Jan-13 20:29:07

feministefatale

I'm just curious of those commenting actually saw the remark I made to thefallen? I really personally don't think it was out of order but because it has been removed I think it looks worse than it was.
. And then I made a joke about <<MESSAGE DELETED BY MUMSNET>>
Maybe uncalled for...but it was just so easy...

Hi there FF
We delete personal attacks that are reported to us.
Here are our guidelines
HTH

OpenMouthInsertCake Fri 18-Jan-13 20:40:10

I'm ignoring the bunfight (my iPad autocorrected it to 'bum fight', haha!).

A long-term male contraceptive would be ideal for me and DP as I can't use any hormonal contraception whatsoever as I've had a hormone sensitive cancer. We're hopefully not done having babies but aren't allowed to try for a few years, so sterilisation/vasectomy is out. I can't have a copper coil, so the only contraceptives open to us are barrier methods, which is a bit shit really.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 18-Jan-13 22:11:28

Pretty much all of the men that I know would be happier with a form of male pill.

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 22:18:42

Still sounds dangerous to me. Injecting weird chemicals into your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now