Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To take a hard line approach with my toddler's diet?

(41 Posts)
ChunkysMum Fri 18-Jan-13 13:51:32

DD is 14 months and has always been stong willed and highly strung. I love these characteristics in her, but they can make some things tricky.

I know IWBU for giving her junk food in the first place, but now I am really trying to improve her diet.

She wants to live on a diet of hotdogs/sausages, chips and a couple of peas. She will eat a little pasta in tomato sauce with cheese, weetabix (without sugar), a little banana, raisins and junk food such as pizza.

I don't feed her junk food all the time, I offer healthy food, but she hardly touches it.

I go to effort to make things like sweet potato chips or vegetable soup with crusty bread, but she still eats hardly any.

I want to go with the approach of offering well-balanced meals and snacks, letting her take or leave them and not supplementing with food she prefers.

The problem is that any time I've tried this, she's hardly eaten anything and then woken up crying for most of the night as she's hungry. I work full time and struggle with lots of sleepless nights.

So aibu to try this approach? Is it possible that she'll starve herself? How long with the sleepless nights last?

ukatlast Fri 18-Jan-13 16:27:13

No, OP don't take a hard line. All children are different. I had one easy-eater and one fussy-one.

JugsMcGee - do you really mean what you wrote? Your 23m old barely ate for a month and you offered no alternatives? Strikes me as cruel control-freakery. I expect he woke at night from hunger!

chandellina Fri 18-Jan-13 17:15:04

I do take a hard line because I don't want to reinforce fussiness. I typically offer my 13 month old something healthy mashed up (she only has 4 teeth) and that's it. She also has bread and then a fruit pot or yoghurt. There are definitely times she strongly rejects the main meal but if I can get a mouthful in, she usually decides she is hungry.

Breakfast is usually porridge, then a bottle.

She also has a big bottle of milk before bed so I know she won't go hungry.

LaQueen Fri 18-Jan-13 17:21:23

A friend is struggling with this, although her DS is 4 now.

I pointed out that no child has ever died of starvation in a house filled with good food and a loving parent on hand.

It's short term pain for long term gain. Offer her the healthy option, if she doesn't eat it then just explain there will be nothing else until the next meal. At next meal offer healthy option, if she doesn't eat it then explain there is nothing else until the next day.

If she wakes in the night feeling hungry, then you just have to explain again and suck it up. I suspect she will crumble in a just a day or two because she will be really hungry.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Jan-13 17:24:34

I honestly don't think you can "reinforce" fussiness, unless you're going to totally jump on the bandwagon of their unhealthiest craving and only feed them that, while talking in front of them about how disgusting vegetables are.

You can either make it into a battle, which TBH you're probably not going to win, and (worst case scenario) give them a total complex about eating/mealtimes into the bargain, or you can go for the easy route, mostly offer stuff you know they like (made into as balanced a combination as possible) and occasionally offer new stuff with a boring/plain alternative if they really won't eat it.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Jan-13 17:26:50

It's very different when they're four to when they're one though.

chandellina Fri 18-Jan-13 17:49:31

Bertiebotts, you may well be right and I try to never judge people whose children are picky eaters. Yet I do observe that often fussy children are continually given only the few foods they will eat, and that seems to me a type of reinforcement.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Jan-13 18:04:50

It's seriously not fun when every mealtime is a battle, so I can understand people just giving in and giving them what they want TBH - especially in front of others as it's embarrassing for your child to have a tantrum over eating and then be all hyped up because they are hungry later as well.

I don't think that's an excuse to never offer new foods, but I do disagree with the parenting "wisdom" which says that a child should be forced, bribed, cajoled into trying something - IME they're just likely to reject it out of spite then! If you let them pick up new foods at their own pace then it's more relaxed, and more of an exploration. Thinking long term I'd rather my child enjoyed eating and felt relaxed about it rather than it being a chore to get through. I think I'm lucky though in that every time DS has gone through a fussy phase fruit and veg have been a constant - in fact for a while I was trying desperately to get him to eat something else because they just weren't filling him up! Every time I've made it into a battle though it's always made things worse, by relaxing and going with the flow his eating gets better over time until I can see a real improvement without really trying at all.

loofet Fri 18-Jan-13 18:21:16

Just don't make a big deal of it. When you're at the table with her talk to your

nokidshere Fri 18-Jan-13 18:24:37

Making a fuss or taking a hard line in one so young is simply not worth the stress!

Introduce new foods slowly alongside foods she likes. Make healthier versions of her favourite foods. Praise when she eats and ignore when she doesn't.

Neither of my children were fussy and ate pretty much everything, my 11 year old still does but my 14 year old has a (reasonably healthy) restricted diet now and has done since he was about 9.

loofet Fri 18-Jan-13 18:29:38

Fucks sake, posted too soon.

Talk to your other DC if you have any or your dp/dh if you have one (sorry wasn't mentioned) whilst at the table about your day, you all/both eat like normal. Make sure you don't sit staring at her eating or get frustrated when she won't and start going on at her to eat. Put the good food in front of her and have a set time for her to eat it (say half an hour). If she hasn't eaten it by that time then she gets down from the table and gets nothing- no snacks- until the next meal and continue this. Eventually she WILL get the hang of it. An older child would take some time to 'retrain' from bad habits but a 14 month old is still so young it really shouldn't take that long.

She won't starve. It is human instinct to eat and she will eat when hungry eventually. If there's no junk on offer then she has no choice but to eat the good stuff. There are ways around disguising fruit and veggies in with other stuff (cheese, yoghurt and pasta are common ones). Also make sure you're not giving her too much fluids which can suspend hunger.

Don't fret about her starving, it will not happen. A healthy diet is vital and at the age she is you have realised you need to change your ways early enough so you can nip it in the bud. Last thing you want is for this to continue well into childhood. Good luck.

JugsMcGee Fri 18-Jan-13 21:56:38

He wouldn't eat anything I offered, was I supposed to force feed him? I offered toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt for breakfast, he didn't eat any of them. I cooked lunches, no joy, I did picky cold lunch, nothing, left stuff out for grazing, he wouldn't touch it. I cooked dinner, he would eat a couple of mouthfuls and then mess around and get down. I offered fruit and yoghurt after regardless of if he'd eaten but he was rarely interested. I even tried rice pudding, banana and custard and the odd biscuit. He just wasn't interested and I wasn't going to force him.

Yes he was waking through hunger! That's not too unusual for him though even when he's eaten loads.

Today he was back to his old self, I couldn't fill him up.

ChunkysMum Fri 18-Jan-13 21:56:40

Thank you for all of the posts - you've offered some great food for thought.

It's the weekend tomorrow so I'm going for the 'attempt to make healthy stuff she may like' approach as I'll have more time than during the week. (Although I still don't like cooking).

Going to make pasta with tomato & mascarpone sauce for dinner (it has hidden carrot, courgette & celery). I'll make double portions so I can freeze some.

Any ideas for tea?

She loves using her fork, preferably to stab chips/sausages and then eat them. Funnily enough though, if I get a carrot on her fork she pulls it off and then stabs a chip.

she's eating at 3.30 and then again in the evening? proper meals? It is this way because she eats a meal at her childminders with the other kids after school. Then has her supper at 6pm with us and bed at 7pm.

Apparently she eats better with our childminder.

I would cut the milk during the night, she only has milk before bed, not during the night. I know I need to cut this out, but know it'll require a few sleepless nights and have big exams coming up in three weeks (medical school finals) so have been putting it off.

ukatlast Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:16

Jugsmcgee 'He wouldn't eat anything I offered, was I supposed to force feed him?'
No of course not.
Sorry your first post sounded like you gave no other options - clearly you did so I misunderstood.
I remember being bullied by dinner ladies to eat at school in 1960s but had a very healthy appetite, I just didn't like school dinners much.

Dietary advice now is not to make a fuss and I really think this works but you must offer foods you know your child likes (at the moment) alongside the new ones.
The thing is my 'picky teenager' is still pickier than my 'eat everything' one but by never making an issue of it, he has cured himself over the years and expanded his repertoire. He likes school dinners.
With girls especially you need to be careful not to make eating a 'battle of wills' and a 'control issue'....in a controlling rule-heavy household, food may be the only item the child can exert control over...it would be harmful (think anorexia) to push them this far and what LaQueen has outlined would fall into this category for me and I stand by what I said earlier about it being cruel. Everyone has food preferences and babies and toddlers are still finding out what they like - personally I can't stand bananas and fatty meat and never will.

girliefriend Sat 19-Jan-13 20:39:11

I think making it into a battle of wills is a bad idea as you might not win. I say this as an adult who was a very fussy child, the more my parents forced the issue the more I dug my heels in.

My advice is to try not to focus too much on healthy/ unhealthy food, food is food. Put very small portions of each food on the plate - kids really don't need a lot of food at that age. Give them healthy choices for example my dd likes a cold tea of some ham, cooked beetroot, avocardo, humous, cheese and breadsticks.

Put the food down and then take the focus away so talk about something else, don't comment if she starts to moan and if she mucks about with the food just take the plate away.

i have fussy eaters but have found sitting down with them eating the same mael as them helps. if they see you (or any other adult) enjoying food then they are likely to join in and eat . what i do is put out a big board with things that we can help ourselves to like raisins ,cucumbers and anything else that is healthy

TheFallenNinja Sat 19-Jan-13 22:43:21

I don't think it unreasonable in the least, nor do I think it hard line to put in place a policy and stick to it.

It's a policy that's based on a healthy diet to give the best possible start.

Kids make rubbish choices smile that's why the grown ups are in charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now