AIBU? DS wants to go sledging, I've said no because......

(35 Posts)
januaryjojo Fri 18-Jan-13 13:41:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goldmandra Fri 18-Jan-13 17:14:29

I think you are doing exactly the right thing by making sure the punishment is a punishment but I agree that going out after school would have finished seems fair.

The fact that he is happy to sit at home doing school work would concern me. Has he been seen by CAMHS?

Could he be getting suspended from school deliberately because it's easier to cope at home?

bedmonster Fri 18-Jan-13 17:15:07

YANBU. It's serious and maybe he will realise it now when he's not going to get to enjoy the snow.

Smellslikecatspee Fri 18-Jan-13 17:15:51

Hope you get whats at the bottom of his acting out too.

In our family grounding meant that you did not leave the house except for school/PT job etc.

Its his bad luck it snowed/ schools out

YANBU.

But if comes down and apologises for being a stroppy brat and screaming at you, then I'd be inclined to let him go tomorrow. smile

Yfronts Fri 18-Jan-13 17:28:13

Well done. I agree with you and would have done the same.

polkadotsrock Fri 18-Jan-13 17:34:20

I wouldn't be letting him out after school time either, if he's grounded then he's grounded. Totally the right thing to do.

Bobyan Fri 18-Jan-13 17:38:49

Stick to your guns, you need to carry on being firm and consistent.

Startail Fri 18-Jan-13 17:48:13

YANBU
I remember DS1 from next door coming round to borrow some tool or another for DS2.

DS2 was not allowed out due to being suspended from school.

DS1 said DS2 was very fed up of being grounded and we agreed that was exactly the point.

If he spent 3 days chasing about on his bike, it would be a pretty useless punishment.

I don't think his mum enjoyed having him stuck at home either.

feralgirl Fri 18-Jan-13 18:03:05

I think I'm right in saying that, when excluded, students are still supposed to be at home (theoretically) studying and accompanied by an adult. At my school we have exclusion packs of work that kids have to complete. We also have to notify the police and the EWO when we do a fixed term exclusion and if kids are spotted out and about then they are picked up and taken home (although I imagine this would be impossible if an exclusion coincided with a snow day).

In a circuitous way, I am saying that no, YADNBU!

WhateverTrevor Fri 18-Jan-13 18:20:28

Circuitous, like that word I am going to use it tomorrow !
Op Yanbu and I feel for you, but have no words of wisdom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now