To want to take up Avon

(34 Posts)
dancemom Fri 18-Jan-13 10:25:26

But only to make up working hours??
I currently work 30 hours but just recently dd has stopped doing overnights at her dads and trying to accommodate this is killing me!!
I'm taking her to breakfast club, leaving her there before the 8 start so incurring the wrath of the dinner ladies, running to the bus and still being late for work at least 3 out of 5 days so incurring the wrath of my boss!
If I went down to 25 hours I could do the school run and pick up myself without giving myself.a heart attack on a daily basis!
However I can't afford to sacrifice my 30 hour bonus from tax credits so Inland Revenue woman suggested I register as self employed and do Avon or something similar to make up my hours.

Is it really that simple? Please say it is cos I was late again today and therefore have to work late and then do another mad dash to do school pick up and incur wrath of teacher if I'm late sad

AIBU to be done with wrath!

dancemom Fri 18-Jan-13 13:59:37

Thanks for the replies

Tax Credits said I just needed to register as self employed and send them my tax return details each year, I just needed to estimate the hours not prove them

And as I said previously, its not about making money, its just working the hours

Lots to think over!

dancemom Fri 18-Jan-13 14:00:45

Oh and can't start and finish later as I need to do a school pick up and I don't get a lunch break as it is!

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 18-Jan-13 15:47:26

Take a look on the MSE webiste, lots of SE people with this type of "business" have been selected for review and tax credits have clawed the money back. People have had to justify every minute of their claim and why their earnings dont tally. Can you afford to pay it all back if they dont believe you work the actual hours?

Surely using after school childcare is possible if they have a breakfast club rather than be late in the mornings. Or you could take a second proper job to work extra hours. If you qualify for WTC then childcare is practically paid for by them.

AnnaRack Fri 18-Jan-13 17:04:22

Could you deliver newspapers, leaflets etc? Prob not that well paid but guaranteed income unlike Avon.

AnnaRack Fri 18-Jan-13 17:12:55

Can u still offset childcare costs against tax? I used to do this when dd was in nursery so it would end up costing 25% less. If so u could send dd to after school club for 2.5 hrs 2 afternoons a week so u could still do the majority of school runs. Obv you' d have to work 30 hrs and do longer days twice a week.

MrsBeep Fri 18-Jan-13 18:01:59

I used to be an Avon rep, and I could help you to become a rep, but I'm not sure about the whole working hours thing.

RedHelenB Fri 18-Jan-13 18:08:14

How much extra do you get for working over 30 hours? You may find that by paying less tax on 25 hours there isn't a big difference. And as I understand it you have to make national minimum wage on those 5 hours of self employed work which you may struggle to do on Avon.

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Fri 18-Jan-13 18:20:23

I get WTC as self-employed and have a variety of lines of work - I have included Avon in that in the past but didn't make a great deal of money at it.

Dogsmom Fri 18-Jan-13 18:39:34

I stopped ordering from Avon last year when I discovered they used ingredients tested on animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2110787/Avon-withdraws-animal-test-claims-website-complaints.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now